Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/05/2007, 02:15 AM
Registered Member

best skimmer with small footprint

Hi everyone,

My sump/refugium is very small and the compartment for the skimmer is only 5.5" x 10". I am looking to upgrade my skimmer and could you guys suggest the best in-sump skimmer that you know with small foot print? So far from my research, I only got AquaC urchin pro and tunze skimmers to fit into my sump. Thanks in advance. my tank is 60 gallons with 12 gallons sump.

Also if you guys have extra Urchin pro or tunze skimmer to sell, please let me know. Thanks.
Old 12/05/2007, 02:17 AM
Tailspot Blenny

Tunze Skimmers are the smallest I can think of and they work REALLY well. They're also amazingly quiet.

Not sure how they are going against some of the other skimmers these days, but they'll do the job well regardless.

I'd go with a Tunze 9010 if it fits.
Old 12/05/2007, 03:46 AM
Moved On

Depends what you compare the Tunze 9010 to is whether it's OK or good. Compare to an AquaC, you are much better off with the Tunze. But unfortunately, there's not much choice for a 5.5" x 10" space. So, your other option is the get an external budget skimmer like the DAS EX-1 and install this next to your sump. BTW, I did owned and 9010 and it sucked on my 90g mixed reef. On smaller tanks, it does fine.
Old 12/05/2007, 06:52 AM
Premium Member

if that is the absolute most amount of room you have, I think you might have some trouble finding a good skimmer to put in there other than the ones you already mentioned. I was thinking Octopus recirc, but it's a 6x11 footprint. Maybe you can try a hang on?
Old 12/05/2007, 08:25 AM
Lap San

try the deltec hang or tunze .u not going to find any space for that.u can spend a little more money ,contact geo or reef mania.they're will build one that fit that footprint.i had one build for me by reefmania.bob porter is a good guy to work with.gl

lapsan
Old 12/05/2007, 08:27 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

I was about to suggest Deltec MCE600 as well.

" Charles V "
Old 12/05/2007, 11:46 AM
Moved On

If you're not in a hurry, ATB is working on a new HOB with a bubbleplate design. From what I heard at the dealer's on Monday, it should easily do better than Deltec MCE600. The MCE600 $500 is way overpriced for what it does.

Again, consider an external recirculating skimmer if you have space next to your sump. A reasonably price external is the DAS EX-1 $300, similar to the Deltec AP600 $600.
Old 12/05/2007, 11:53 AM
Lap San

i think tunze use the same pump as bubble master on there new skimmer.They're not cheap tho.
Old 12/05/2007, 11:56 AM
Moved On

Tunze new skimmers have bigger footprint than their 9010, and yes, they are using the Sicce pump with a needlewheel instead of a threadwheel, so air draw is significantly less. Bubblemaster is a better buy.

moneylaw, if you had 8"x9" space in your sump, you can go with the Bubblemaster 160.
Old 12/05/2007, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy

The Deltec MCE600 is probably not best choice amongst the Deltec line according to dealer.
Old 12/05/2007, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

The ELOS skimmer is about 5.5" so it might fit.
Old 12/05/2007, 02:29 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

The Deltec MCE600 is probably not best choice amongst the Deltec line according to dealer.

What DEALER told you that ?

" Charles V "
Old 12/05/2007, 06:00 PM
Moved On

I really don't think anyone even needs to hear from anyone specifically to know that the MCE600 is an overpriced piece of equipment that doesn't perform anywhere close to a good in sump skimmer. There's definitely a big need for a good HOB and I personally don't think any of the companies are close to a good HOB. Hoping that ATB will break the barrier and be successful with their venture. Their idea definitely sounds like they're heading in the right direction.
Old 12/06/2007, 03:09 AM
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for ur replies and suggestions. Just curious though, even though i read lots of good reviews about aquaC, no one here seems to give thumbs up on aquaC Urchin. Wondering whether it is because there are lots of better and more expensive skimmers out there or is that because aquaC plain sucks. If possible I would like to spend around $250 for the skimmer. Thanks again.
Old 12/06/2007, 06:19 AM
Premium Member

When I first got back in to this hobby almost a year ago, it seemed AquaC Remora was a good skimmer choice as well after doing some research. So I got one, and honestly, I hated it. It would either skim too wet or not at all and was a pain to dial in. not to mention it had to be soaked in vinegar every other week just keep it working. I think it was considered good before, but now there are much better options.

Maybe some of the more experienced guys that have been around for awhile can chime in on this one.

Oh yeah. I also loved the endless waterfall of micro bubbles. NOT!
Old 12/06/2007, 12:40 PM
Moved On

AquaC is a POS, I hate to say. For those that use them and think they're the greatest, I don't think they've ever use another skimmer that actually performs well, so nothing to compare to. I hated my AquaC Remora Pro, loud, constant adjusting needed and when I switched to even a in sump skimmer that didn't perform very well, it was a world of difference in improvement. Since you have such a small footprint to work with, your best bet is the Tunze 9010. Unfortunately, you don't have much choices. If you have $700 to blow, you can try the Deltec Turbo1250.
http://www.deltecusa.us/turboskimmers/turbo1250.php

DAS has an equivalent model for $300, but I haven't seen any reviews on this unit. Their DAS EX-1 is the most popular unit sold. This was what I suggested if you have space outside your sump for a skimmer.
http://stores.petorama.net/Detail.bok?no=70

Last edited by CruzinKim; 12/06/2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12/06/2007, 01:09 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

Well, although " overpriced " the deltec mce600 is still the best performing skimmer for HOB's... I did my research and checked around for a while prior to purchasing this skimmer. But if I needed a skimmer for a sump then definitely won't be using a HOB type... rather a BM / DELTEC or some other reputable IN-SUMP unit.

" Charles V "
Old 12/06/2007, 01:12 PM
Tailspot Blenny

aquaC are also loud as hell =( At least mine was.
Old 12/06/2007, 02:02 PM
Moved On

moneylaw, AquaC is AquaCrap and many formal owners think so. Sure there's a few owners that have excellent experience with this brand, but they are far and few. I've experienced the same as what others have already posted and to add one more truth to the pot, it's the lousiest built skimmer I've ever bought. Accidentally bang it when doing a complete skimmer maintenace and it cracked without any effort. I had to get someone to help me reinforce the unit as I didn't have any experience with acrylic at that time.

I would go with your other option, even though not the best skimmer, it does perform quite well from all the reviews. What's hard to separate is hype vs. truth sometimes. I believe that based on the specs, it should be able to handle your 60g setup easily. Not sure as I've never owned one, but I wouldn't put it on anything bigger than your setup myself.

Last edited by Lumamae; 12/06/2007 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12/06/2007, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

I really appreciate all your helps. aquaC is out of my list now.

CruzinKim,
you said you had tunze 9010 and didn't work so well on your 90gals. Could you elaborate on what the problem is? It is rated for tanks up to 264gals. So I would have thought it should be able to handle 90 gallons easily. I am thinking about upgrading my tank in the future to about 120 gals and I would hate it if I have to upgrade the skimmer again after I upgrade the tank.

Also does anyone have any experience purchasing from aquacave.com, they have good price on tunze skimmers.

Thanks again, everyone.
Old 12/06/2007, 02:11 PM
Tailspot Blenny

Quote:
Originally posted by moneylaw
I really appreciate all your helps. aquaC is out of my list now.

CruzinKim,
you said you had tunze 9010 and didn't work so well on your 90gals. Could you elaborate on what the problem is? It is rated for tanks up to 264gals. So I would have thought it should be able to handle 90 gallons easily. I am thinking about upgrading my tank in the future to about 120 gals and I would hate it if I have to upgrade the skimmer again after I upgrade the tank.

Also does anyone have any experience purchasing from aquacave.com, they have good price on tunze skimmers.

Thanks again, everyone.
I've heard many great stories about the Tunze 9010! It's also completely silent. Do a search on google: " tunze 9010 site:reefcentral.com"

Goto the Tunze forum on RC as well. Don't take one person's experience as a generalization of the product as a whole.

Also consider ordering from reefready . net. IF you are a BAR member he may give discounts too =)

If I were to get another skimmer, it'd be a Tunze.
Old 12/06/2007, 03:01 PM
Moved On

Yes, Kinetic is right, don't ever base your decision on just one person's experience. The chamber size and pump on the Tunze 9010 is best designed for a tank size around 55g-75g range. I wouldn't consider it on anything larger than that. You can only get so much out of a small reaction chamber and a small pump. The manufacturer's ratings are definitely over exaggerated. With your sump requirments, it is the best match for you now. When you upgrade in the future, I'm sure you'll be getting a bigger sump, you should consider a better skimmer as well at that time.
Old 12/06/2007, 03:03 PM
Tailspot Blenny

Quote:
Originally posted by CruzinKim
Yes, Kinetic is right, don't ever base your decision on just one person's experience. The chamber size and pump on the Tunze 9010 is best designed for a tank size around 55g-75g range. I wouldn't consider it on anything larger than that. You can only get so much out of a small reaction chamber and a small pump. The manufacturer's ratings are definitely over exaggerated. With your sump requirments, it is the best match for you now. When you upgrade in the future, I'm sure you'll be getting a bigger sump, you should consider a better skimmer as well at that time.
yes, when you upgrade, you should plan for a bigger compartment for a bigger skimmer =)
Old 12/07/2007, 06:02 AM
Registered Member

Thanks, guys.
Old 12/07/2007, 12:03 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by moneylaw
I am thinking about upgrading my tank in the future to about 120 gals and I would hate it if I have to upgrade the skimmer again after I upgrade the tank.
Here's 2 options, (1) install a proper size skimmer externally next to your sump, like the DAS EX-1 is fairly reasonably priced, then it can go in or out of sump with your future upgrade or (2) change your sump out now, even though it maybe a lot more work, get the right size sump and skimmer that will fit for both now and later.