Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/17/2007, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Tank Upgrade

Currently I have a 35 gal tank (FOWLR) without sump and skimmer and I am going to get one 70 to 90 gal display tank with a sump. I will let the 35 gal tank run while I set up the new tank. So how can I actually do it and have a good new tank running ? I am thinking of getting some cured live rocks and sand for my new tank. My other tank already has 1.5 lbs/gal of LRs and I will seed the new sand with a little matured sand. So how long do I wait before the getting the fish over and what other things can do ?
Old 08/17/2007, 09:56 PM
RC Mod

I'd treat the new tank as a new setup. Once the system is set up and the live rock has been added, just wait for ammonia to hit zero, and then give the tank another three weeks to stabilize.
Old 08/17/2007, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

I second what bertoni said and then when that's all good I would start to take the rock and livestock out of the old tank and right into the new one. Just don't reuse the sand. Using a little as seed sand will be ok but only from the top inch of the sandbed.
Old 08/17/2007, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

You can also do a water change from your current tank and add the outgoing water to seed the water of the new tank…..
Old 08/17/2007, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

I thought cured LRs will not have an ammonia spike ? Or I get uncured rocks to cycle to new tank ?
Old 08/18/2007, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

Do you have a test kit ? How much stock in 35 gal ?
Old 08/18/2007, 12:30 AM
Ugly Equipment Keeper

Personally, I would setup the new tank, add sand and water, mix up the salt, and then transfer your existing rock, livestock, and some water, but not sand, from the old tank.

If you're adding new rock at the start, set up the new tank, and add the rock (if its kept fully submerged during transit), and monitor for a week, then transfer your system.

I just recently did a tank move like that and never encountered an ammonia spike or anything bad. Some new tank syndrome stuff is coming back (diatoms), but all of my SPS, fish, clams, etc are happy.. I had the contents of the old tank in rubbermade bins for several hours during the move (drive, etc), but had the luxury of getting the new tank setup a week ahead of time.
Old 08/18/2007, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

I got the kits and only a chromis and a yellow angel
Old 08/18/2007, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

any good in sump skimmers to recommend not too expensive ones ?
Old 08/18/2007, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

asm is good for the price