Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/14/2004, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

handling of salt water

Hi to all,
I am trying to figure out a way to handle salt water without affecting my house. My wife and i worry about if we flush saltwater to sink or toilet bowl when we change water, it will ruin or (eat-in) our piping etc... Anyone have any issue with it, any suggestions on how to handle it. Especially, how to prevent it before rusting happen. I know that a friend of mine drain waste water to their sump pump but I thought it will rust the pump too, is it true.

We don't have a salt water tank right now even I have been browsing this site for awhile (and really want to have one). Since this is a hurdle we need to get through before we decide to start one. Any ideas or experience do help, please. What kind of long term effect are we going to expect? Will there be any smell?

thanks,

Ted .

Old 06/14/2004, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

I would think the majority of people are draining their saltwater into the house plumbing. With freshwater constantly running through the drainage system also I don't think a small amount of saltwater (in comparison) would cause any problems.

Now, I asked a plumber about draining into the sump pump before and he recommended that I run fresh water through the sump for a few minutes after the saltwater to flush the pump.
Old 06/14/2004, 02:19 PM
RC Admin
Canuck Reefer

Your plumbing system from your sinks and sewage lines are not metal, they are black ABS plastic, so they will not corrode. The only copper lines in your house (hopefully) are the water entrance lines that bring water to your faucets and things like your hot water heater.

My tank doesn't smell bad. If I stick my head right into the hood, it smells like, well... it smells like the ocean. The only time a tank can smell bad is if you're just setting it up and you're using uncured rock. Then it can get a bit smelly for a week or so, but it usually clears right up after that.

By the way,

To Reef Central

"I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jello."
Old 06/14/2004, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

Lightbulb

......Do Not,use your own equitment to clean up the spills you are going to have.Rent,Rent,Rent.When I have a spillllllll.... that is what I do now,after ruining a shop vac and a kirby I use to have alot of spills with 3 reefs going.Now @ $20 a spillllll I have learned to be very careful
Old 06/14/2004, 02:25 PM
RC Staff
American

Quote:
Originally posted by MalHavoc
Your plumbing system from your sinks and sewage lines are not metal, they are black ABS plastic, so they will not corrode.
Not always. Before I redid the DWV system in my house, it was mostly cast iron. My house is about 100 years old, and back then, there was no PVC. It depends on the age of your house, and whether or not upgrades have been done. It's pretty simple to find out what the plumbing is made of, just look at it.
If it is cast iron, it will corrode even if it only sees fresh water, but if you run salt water through it, it would be a good idea to flush it afterward with fresh water. If it's PVC, salt water won't hurt it at all.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 06/14/2004, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

I just discard my saltwater in my driveway, course I live out in the sticks on a gravel road. lol
Old 06/14/2004, 02:33 PM
Premium Member

I have a small tank (30g) so I just pour my weekly water change (3g) down the drain in the bathtub and chase it with 10 seconds of fresh water to clear the pipes. Welcome to RC by the way!

FWIW,
Old 06/14/2004, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

handling salt water

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the quick reply. It sounds like I am worrying too much. Our house is still a year old only so seems ok. Also, I doubt if I'll drain off from sump pump. I'll dump it to toilet and flush it a few time instead.

Also, any ideas about evaporated water moisture. Any issues there. I read that some members have a few gallon of evaporated water due to heavy lighting. They usually top it off everyday. Do they evaporated with salt? Anyone found their house with high humidity?

I guess overall my question is what's the effect of having salt water tank in the house. Any ideas, experience? My wife is going to be very if I make a house full of saltwater issue...
So far we have no problem with our fresh water tank, our kids just love it.

thanks in advance for your reply...

Ted .
Old 06/14/2004, 03:09 PM
Marine Aquarist

You should top off your tank with freshwater, because the salt does not evaporate with the water.
Old 06/14/2004, 03:11 PM
Premium Member

My tank's in my bedroom and the evaporation doesn't effect my room or the house at all.

When you top off your tank, use fresh water as the salt does not evaporate. I have an auto top-off made from a Gatorade bottle that I use at night. Good luck with yours .
Old 06/14/2004, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Salt does not evaporate with the water. That's why we have to top off with fresh water. Humidity wont be a problem either. Dont worry so much. The pros definatly out weigh the cons(if any)
Old 06/14/2004, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Oooops. I was responding at the same time. Sorry to triple the answer. Good luck anyway!
Old 06/14/2004, 03:19 PM
Grampa Extroardinaire

Re: handling salt water

Quote:
Originally posted by skimmers
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the quick reply. It sounds like I am worrying too much. Our house is still a year old only so seems ok. Also, I doubt if I'll drain off from sump pump. I'll dump it to toilet and flush it a few time instead.

Also, any ideas about evaporated water moisture. Any issues there. I read that some members have a few gallon of evaporated water due to heavy lighting. They usually top it off everyday. Do they evaporated with salt? Anyone found their house with high humidity?

I guess overall my question is what's the effect of having salt water tank in the house. Any ideas, experience? My wife is going to be very if I make a house full of saltwater issue...

Ted .
Ted,
Good to see you asking these questions now.

The amount of evaporation depends on the size of your tank, lights, etc. How it effects you home is dependent on how you have your tank set-up. I have a basement sump and run a dehumidifer in my basement. Prior to this, I had my sump in a large walk-in closet right behind the tank and put a bathroom exhaust fan in the closet to remove the moisture. You will evap some water and it has to go somewhere. My expereinece has been most of the evap comes from the sump area.

As for water changes and disposing of the salt water, right now, mine is plumbed into a cast iron drain line. I do flush with fresh water after I drain the saltwater. Previously, I just emptied it into a sink and flushed with fresh water.

HTH

David

Too old for women to care
Old 06/14/2004, 03:22 PM
RC Staff
American

In most cases, the added moisture is a welcome thing. In extreme situations. moisture has become a problem. The guy with the 4,000 gallon tank in his basement comes to mind. The average hobbyist with a "normal" size system rarely has any issue with moisture.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 06/14/2004, 03:22 PM
Premium Member

Re: handling salt water

Quote:
Originally posted by skimmers

Ted .
Salt water will evaporate faster than your fresh because you will probably keep the temp higher. If you do MH lights there will be more heat in your tank, need additional evaporation. Will that additional evaporation make any difference in the house? I don't think so, not unless your house is really well sealed and you don't have much ventilation. I live in an area of the country where the humidity is very low in the summer so it is never a problem with me. Don't know about the more humid parts of our country.

If your kids like the FW tank, they will LOVE a SW tank. My grandkids stare at the tank more than the TV when they come over. The behaviors of the SW fish are unbelievable and the colors.
Old 06/14/2004, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

Hi
Thanks for telling me about your experiences. This site is great when it come to asking question. My wife and i is not going to keep 2 tanks of fish. Once I come up with enough courage to jump into saltwater. I'll definitely let you guys know. For now, I'll keep reading and try to learn more ... Then, I'll start up with something small and simple at the beginning.

**** When I go through those tanks selected for "tank of the month" in the website, it is just amazing!!!

thanks,
Ted.