Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/23/2006, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

lights better than MH or not?

I was wondering if anybody had so knowledge or experience with these lights.
Old 03/23/2006, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

Forgot the link

http://www.lenslights.com/aqualights...pages/faq.html
Old 03/23/2006, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

Not better then MH that is for sure.

Visit MAAST.org just click the "Red House"
Old 03/23/2006, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

looks like those lights are more for planted aquariums. honestly, they look like PC's in a different arrangement. Its a little fishy how he brushes of the PAR ratings of lights in the FAQs:

" I have spoken to our OEM who manufacturers our base units for the PAR rating or our lights and they claim this is a non issue and more of a marketing gimmick then any actual concern on their lights."

Finally, if you read closely, they focus on "growing plants or marine live stock" and any reefer knows that when it comes to fish, any light will do. But with corals, it's a whole different matter. So, IMO, no these lights are not better than MHs. I've never used them, i'm just going by what i've read in that ad.

- If fate really exsists, then it HATES my guts!
Old 03/23/2006, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

Yeah I agree that this seems alittle fishy. I just ran across them while surfing the net. It is hard to beleive anything that you read on the net that's why I just thought that I would see what everybody else had to say about them.
It would be great to find a light that used less electricity and was cheaper to run than MH.
Old 03/24/2006, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

hey they do makes lights like that. Their called T5's
Old 03/24/2006, 09:39 AM
Explorer

Quote:
Originally posted by pufferpoison
hey they do makes lights like that. Their called T5's
personal "preference" not better

sam
Old 03/24/2006, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

Yeah I know they make lights like that, but how many T-5's does it take to put out 500 watts of light. If this bulb is like a T-5 like you say wouldn't it be better than it since it so compact and it only takes 1 bulb, not 9 bulbs to get 500 watts.
Old 03/24/2006, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

They sound like VHO's to me, just in a little different configuration. There was a place were he claimed that you can grow and sustain any coral under these lights. I don't know.
Old 03/24/2006, 01:22 PM
CVR Co-*******

These are the same lights that LOA puts out 65 watt PC. Not hardly as good as MH or VHO or T5. Would be perfect for you fuge but not hardly for your tank. Home depot sells them as well as costco.
Old 03/24/2006, 01:26 PM
CVR Co-*******

Oh my god 70 bucks what a joke. I got one for 20 bucks. LMAO
Old 03/24/2006, 01:32 PM
CVR Co-*******

3. What is the difference between Lumens and Lux?

Foot-Candles, Lumens and Lux are just light measurement terms. An easy explanation of one Lux is that 1 LUX = 1 Lumen per Square Meter. You will note that a Lux deals with not only the light output, but the distance from the subject.

The larger the area being illuminated by the light the lower the LUX rating or light intensity. So a light that illuminates at 100 Lumens in a Square Meter would have a 100 Lux Output. Take that same light and illuminate 10 square meters and it would now have a LUX of 10.

So if you need a light for your plants or aquarium and intend on positioning the light to illuminate a square meter, then your fish or plants will be receiving 4550 Lux of light. I hope this helps demystifies this for you.

So according to this guy water and air have the SAME affect on light. Maybe someone needs a basic physics class.
Old 03/24/2006, 04:31 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by richard55
These are the same lights that LOA puts out 65 watt PC. Not hardly as good as MH or VHO or T5. Would be perfect for you fuge but not hardly for your tank. Home depot sells them as well as costco.
Theyre $8 at costco.

That comparison in the picture is silly, its a 65w fluorex bulb and a 15w striplight. just silly.

That being said, PCs and Fluorex absolutely smoke VHOs in terms of efficiency richard55. VHOs are about the least efficient things made (other than quartz halogen bulbs)