Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/16/2007, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

Can you keep a Lizard Fish?

I am about to move my 40g reef into a 120g and am thinking about a fowlr again. I caught a lizard fish off the coast of Fl a few years back and thought it was interesting. I have wondered if anyone has attempted this or actually has one in a tank. If so what in the world do you feed it, Live, silversides, hamsters? I know they like squid since thats what I caught him on. As for tankmated i don't expect that I could keep really anything with it. Any info would be appreciated.

http://www.imagequest3d.com/pages/cu...lizardfish.htm

http://www.electricbluefishing.com/lizardfish.htm
Old 02/16/2007, 12:39 PM
Premium Member

yes they can be kept ed quite easily. But remember they berry themselves under the sand so you won't see the fish just the eyes. Will eat anything that gets with in striking distance.
Old 02/16/2007, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

I have read about them for some time now, and couldn't decide if they would eat anything or want live. Do you now or have you had one? Are they jumpers? Will they continue to bury themselves if they don't have to hunt?
Old 02/16/2007, 01:37 PM
Premium Member

Yes i collect them for the trade during the summer. They will eat anything alive they can fit in there mouth and will also eat something dead as long as it's moving from the watter. I keep glass top's on the tank because they have jumped on me and trust me it's not fun to try to catch a fish like that off the floor with those kinds of teeth. He will also spend a large amount of time buried because that's also how they feel safe.
Old 02/16/2007, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

is ther somewhere I can read about them. I keep finding encyclopedia descriptions instead of info from keepers.
Old 02/16/2007, 10:29 PM
Premium Member

sorry i don't know anyone that keeps them. All the one's i catch go to cali to a wholesaler. The one's i send to him usually end up at aquariums he said. I hardly ever see them available in the hobby market. Prob because they are so aggressive. Here's a sweet pic that someone gave me some time ago. The fish he's eating is almost the same size as him.

Old 02/17/2007, 12:44 AM
Registered Member

Have kept a few of the local Gulf of Mexico species, Synodus saurus, it is also a jumper (how I lost my 1st one) and is quite voracious, I would have to go catch 5-10 feeders for it per week.

Awesome picture, by the way.