Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping

Old 10/15/2004, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

I do not know if anyone saw this, but this is the transcript of the personal remarks following the biills introduction. Anyword on when and if it is going to make it to a vote?

[url]http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?r108:1:./temp/~r108kPIS63::
Old 10/27/2004, 01:55 AM
Registered Member

Ive learned from government classes that less than 5% of bills ever get voted into becoming a law. It takes a very very long time to process it in the first place, and if it were taken seriously itwould not come into effect for years. But plain fact remains that a bill that proposes something like this will never even get taken seriously by our legislature, and will most likely get killed after the first hearing. I studied politics way too much...
Old 10/27/2004, 04:53 AM
Registered Member

that is good !
Old 10/27/2004, 07:43 AM
TOF

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Jones
Ive learned from government classes that less than 5% of bills ever get voted into becoming a law. It takes a very very long time to process it in the first place, and if it were taken seriously itwould not come into effect for years. But plain fact remains that a bill that proposes something like this will never even get taken seriously by our legislature, and will most likely get killed after the first hearing. I studied politics way too much...
They said the same thing, right before women got the right to vote in the US. (jk!)

Tagamet
Old 11/08/2004, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

you should have to qualify for a permit to posses any reef specimen. like you qualify to drive.
Old 11/08/2004, 07:28 PM
TOF

Quote:
Originally posted by threeheaddog
you should have to qualify for a permit to posses any reef specimen. like you qualify to drive.
I'd agree, right after they make you get a permit to conceive a child.
JMO,
Tagamet
Old 11/08/2004, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

second that motion tag, u need all these permits and license's to do anything any more, but any one can re-produce at will, very scary................................... and i think needing a license to keep a reef is about the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard
Old 11/08/2004, 09:17 PM
TOF

Quote:
Originally posted by the_reef
second that motion tag, u need all these permits and license's to do anything any more, but any one can re-produce at will, very scary................................... and i think needing a license to keep a reef is about the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard
It's not the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, but then again, I'm a shrink and hear some pretty interesting things. Bottom line is that it's next to impossible to legislate behavior.
Be well,
Tagamet
Old 11/08/2004, 11:33 PM
Registered Member

legislating behavior is the rest of 21st century
its the only way to manage our world.

bye bye to democracy...

i want to be told what i can have in my reefs by scientists not bureaucrats.
Old 11/08/2004, 11:48 PM
TOF

Quote:
Originally posted by threeheaddog
legislating behavior is the rest of 21st century
its the only way to manage our world....

i want to be told what i can have in my reefs by scientists not bureaucrats.
Scientists neither pass nor write laws. Bureaucrats do. If drivers license regulations are based on science, why do they differ from state to state? I'm having trouble understanding why democracy and being ecologically responsible are mutually exclusive. While I don't think that they are, I believe that capitolism will drive people's behavior. When gas hits $3 a gallon, hybrid cars will become popular enough to drive the science that helps with the petrocarbon dependance that will drive the price of gas back down.
JMO,
Tagamet
Old 11/09/2004, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

On a some what interesting note, a law simular in nature was passed a couple of years ago. Though it was about FW fish, and under different circumstances, the point is, that it was done without any knowledge or understanding by the government. And, it was done in an over kill way!

What I am talking about is the law that banned the import, keeping, selling, and everything else about the Asian Snakehead. I am sure many of you read about the mishap in MD. The law was quickly pointed out to be unconstitutional, as well as an illeagle one. It was changed to read, that it was left up to the individual states. The point is, that do to one of the species within the family, the whole family was banned! The different species of fish in this family, come in full grown sizes of 2 inches all the way to 3+ feet. Yes the ones that caused the whole upset thing, was those that reach 3+ feet. And yes, they are a very aggressive fish. But, the ones that only reach 2-5 inches, which are the majority of them, were also banned.

These fishes are some of the most interesting family that there is. They are the only family of fish, that breeds in all three types of ways. The large ones are substrate spawners, the mid size ones (8-15 inches) are mouth brooders, and the very small ones (2-5 inches) are bubble nest builders. Though they are some of the ugliest and I do not really care for them, from a scientific point of view, they are awsome.

In the end, it is the same as this bill. A bunch of uneducated beaurocrats taking things to extreme!
Old 11/09/2004, 01:44 PM
TOF

Quote:
Originally posted by ACIDRAIN
On a some what interesting note, a law simular in nature was passed a couple of years ago. Though it was about FW fish, and under different circumstances, the point is, that it was done without any knowledge or understanding by the government. And, it was done in an over kill way!

In the end, it is the same as this bill. A bunch of uneducated beaurocrats taking things to extreme!
Perfect example.
Thanks for sharing.
Tagamet
Old 11/09/2004, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

i agree, if there was to be alaw it should be very specific, but how would you even start to say what can and cant be had? australia has strict regs on what reef and fish items can be brought into country because of the great barrier reef, and rightfully so, just as the 3' snakeheads will desimate a pond or river, but i beleive IMO that permits to obtain reef animals would invade my privacy its not like i will take a shark down to the susquahanna river and throw it in and it live, inlike the snakehead, its a very touchy subject, i feel big brother should just leave it alone, as long as the collection of items does not hurt the natrual reefs, but then agian i try to always buy tank raised items they are usually hardier and they dont deplete the populations in the wonderful reefs in the wild! happy reefing everyone
Old 11/09/2004, 04:58 PM
RC Staff
American

I would like to see people that keep reef tanks regulate themselves. We (collectively) should stop buying animals before researching their needs, We should practice good husbandry, and have respect for the animals we keep. If we all honestly regulate ourselves, there'd be no good reason for the Govt. to step in.
I have seen more than enough right here in this forum (RESPONSIBLE reefkeeping) to know that's not going to happen thouhgh.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....