Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/06/2005, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

Pat, although we have sand in our sump/refugium, I do have a small battery powered vaccumn that I use in the QT tank. It does a great job and is perfect. I picked it up at the local PetsMart.
Old 09/06/2005, 02:51 PM
Premium Member

constrict it a little with a valve or visagrips or pinch...

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
I guess I need to get a different kind of pump then...because the one I use to pump water back into the tank on water changes, has 3/4" tubing, and it would pump much too quickly before I'd be able to remove the detrius from the floor.
Old 09/06/2005, 02:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lossman
Pat, although we have sand in our sump/refugium, I do have a small battery powered vaccumn that I use in the QT tank. It does a great job and is perfect. I picked it up at the local PetsMart.
Thanks Sally....I didn't know they sold them. That would be perfect for what I need.

Bob, that's really sad. The rock you see locally does look horrible. I'd never pay the price they ask for it the way it looks. But, I'm telling you, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised and pleased if you got yourself some bali, kaelini or MI online. I never thought I would say that until I got it myself.

Nick, I still would have a rough time just placing the pump on top of the white junk in order to suck it in. The little vacuum seems like it would be much easier, and less cumbersome.
Old 09/06/2005, 02:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Nick, I still would have a rough time just placing the pump on top of the white junk in order to suck it in. The little vacuum seems like it would be much easier, and less cumbersome.
Can you attach a hose to the inlet side of your pump?
Old 09/06/2005, 02:59 PM
Premium Member

a hose goes on the intake - enough said - the vacuum sounds like fun too - you don't want to get dirty water in your fresh salt rig anyway I suppose

when I vacuum the sump bottom I always mourn the loss of some pods

Quote:
Thanks Sally....I didn't know they sold them. That would be perfect for what I need.

Bob, that's really sad. The rock you see locally does look horrible. I'd never pay the price they ask for it the way it looks. But, I'm telling you, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised and pleased if you got yourself some bali, kaelini or MI online. I never thought I would say that until I got it myself.

Old 09/06/2005, 03:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
Can you attach a hose to the inlet side of your pump?
I don't think so. That's why the vacuum might be a better way to go.
I'll have to do an online search and see what they're all about.

I will loose some pods, but they just stay there on the floor anyway, and don't go back into the main tank to do any good. They got there once somehow, so they'd get back down there again I suppose.
Old 09/06/2005, 03:12 PM
Premium Member

you just like new battery operated gadgets,

Old 09/06/2005, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

pat, even the stuff online i looked at, no life! drab. no hitchhickers, no fun chasing crabs around the tank.
Old 09/06/2005, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

pat, btw, my fear of keys rock is the plants taking over the tank. i could seed the other life like sponges from the gulf tank.
Old 09/06/2005, 03:15 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
pat, even the stuff online i looked at, no life! drab. no hitchhickers, no fun chasing crabs around the tank.
If you want to chase crabs around the tank you can just come to my house. I have plenty!
Old 09/06/2005, 03:21 PM
Premium Member

I have a mag 7 that I want to rig up something to pump out water during water changes.
Old 09/06/2005, 03:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnb
you just like new battery operated gadgets,
That could be taken the wrong way!

You can come to my house and get all the crabs you want. I still have tons of them.
I also wouldn't say it has no life. It's just not teaming with life the way TBS does.....but there is life with it. I also prefer the corals I am buying than what comes with the TBS.
I guess different strokes for different folks. I won't mention it again to you if you feel that stongly about it.
Old 09/06/2005, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

i got to tell you, i do love chasing critters.last week diving i collected northern pipefish, tiny flounder and various types of shrimp for my long island tank
Old 09/06/2005, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

pat, i think the bottom line is i like what i'm used to diving. i have lots of dive time in the keys on the reefs. i wish i could convert some of my slides to post them here
Old 09/06/2005, 03:38 PM
Robotic Overlord

I am also in a quandry as to what to do. I have decided that I am going to get that 110 long and build a reef around it but I am not sure if I want to start from "scratch" or do another TBS package. I am seriously thinking of 200 pounds of TBS live sand for the incredible amount of life it has (plus I like the look of it) and a mix of different LR from around the world.
Old 09/06/2005, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
pat,it's possible. i set up the new tank because i loved the gulf rock. i looked at all the other rocks locally and they left me cold. i'll have to get keys rock or pack it in. i'm very dissapointed at this point.
I've been trying to follow the gulf rock soap opera. Did I miss an update? Last I heard things were sounding fairly positive for the gulf site having not been wiped out by the red tide. As far as I knew we were waiting for the water to clear up after Katrina so they could dive and confirm.

Have we learned anything knew? I'm still holding off on taking Keys rock until I learn the fate of the gulf rock. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09/06/2005, 04:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jocko
I've been trying to follow the gulf rock soap opera. Did I miss an update? Last I heard things were sounding fairly positive for the gulf site having not been wiped out by the red tide. As far as I knew we were waiting for the water to clear up after Katrina so they could dive and confirm. Have we learned anything knew? I'm still holding off on taking Keys rock until I learn the fate of the gulf rock. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!
Bob said he spoke to a customer today and the red tide is back after Katrina.
Old 09/06/2005, 04:30 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Brian, this picture looks like something you'd see in a magazine.

Dennis, sorry to hear about your fish. Maybe it's still hiding and the condy didn't eat it, although you'd know better than any of us.

Bob, so what are you going to do now that you can't get your gulf rock?

Dave, glad to hear the tank is looking good. Can't wait to see pictures tomorrow.

For those of you who have sumps, how do you clean the bottom of them? I have all this crap on the bottom that I'd like to clean out, but just don't know how. When I did my water change over the weekend, I thought about sticking the pump in there and take the water from the sump, but then the junk would have to go thru the pump, which I don't want....and then the other problem is that it would suck out all the water before I got a chance to clean the floor. What's a person to do?
Thanks Pat, I really like that picture too. I'm worried the algae might take over the tank, but so far I'm letting it grow.

I'm with you on cleaning the sump too, I haven't figured out a good way to do it on mine yet. I've put a hold on buying anything for the tank for a while and the sump cleaning hose is not high on the list I'm hoping to eventually attach a hose to the inlet of my pump and let it suck up the detritus. I'm just a little worried about it sucking up a small rock and screwing up my pump.

Dennis - Those pictures are awesome! Just wait until you know how to use it really well

Bob - sorry to hear about the gulf rock...I too would have been disappointed if I didn't get the gulf rock...the picture Pat just highlighted is why I got it.

Brian
Old 09/06/2005, 05:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CirolanidHunter
Dennis - Those pictures are awesome! Just wait until you know how to use it really well
Thanks Brian.

No, wait until I get the real good camera like my mother's and a macro lens for it.
Old 09/06/2005, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

Hmmm....back in the day when I took that trip to TFP - I picked up a firefish and hmmm...I never did find that "body"...and I definitely did not have it on the floor as I've got a canopy and the area along the back is covered except for a pair of holes for the fans. The condy did poop a lot - but I fed it pretty regularly. I was pretty sure the maroon would defend it's prized anemone but at night she wasn't too alert and certainly wasn't in the anemone (perhaps it kinda new that the condy wasn't to be trusted).
Old 09/06/2005, 07:01 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phil519
Hmmm....back in the day when I took that trip to TFP - I picked up a firefish and hmmm...I never did find that "body"...and I definitely did not have it on the floor as I've got a canopy and the area along the back is covered except for a pair of holes for the fans. The condy did poop a lot - but I fed it pretty regularly. I was pretty sure the maroon would defend it's prized anemone but at night she wasn't too alert and certainly wasn't in the anemone (perhaps it kinda new that the condy wasn't to be trusted).
Well I haven't fed my condy anything substantial in 2 weeks but it was sure pooping alot yesterday after the firefish disappeared.
Old 09/06/2005, 07:15 PM
Premium Member

So I take it you'll keep the anemone? Or are you thinking of trading it in to avoid future fish digestion?
Old 09/06/2005, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

what i heard from a tampa customer of mine was that the red tide was back. this is nothing offical from tbs.
Old 09/07/2005, 12:22 AM
Robotic Overlord

Red tide is caused by dinoflagellates, the same problem I was having. All they need to do to fix it is buy a Phosban reactor and shut the lights off for a week.

Worked for me.
Old 09/07/2005, 07:05 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phil519
So I take it you'll keep the anemone? Or are you thinking of trading it in to avoid future fish digestion?
Well for now my condy is out and in the QT. When I got home last night it moved again and was on the sand so I didn't want to miss the easy opportunity to snatch it out. It was heading back over to where I put the frogspawn anyway. The last thing I need it to do is start killing corals.