Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/04/2005, 03:44 PM
Premium Member

So then wait for your dream tank. I can tell you just from my 2 tanks that the added depth makes a WORLD of difference. I would never get another tank that is only 18" deep. It is so much easier to aquascape when it's wider.

On another note, I have stopped feeding the DT's only because I decided to try the reef chili instead. It's less than 1/3 the price. I don't know if it has any phosphates because it's a powder that you mix with your own tank water. I've been using it for about 3 weeks now, and I notice no difference between the DT's and the reef chili. I think a longer period of time is needed to see which one, if any, is better.
Old 09/04/2005, 03:54 PM
Premium Member

Pat, With the reef chili, are you seeing the polyps extending for eating and everything? I had to stop using the phyto feast as within an hour, the front glass already looked foggy from the algea.

On days I didn't feed, nothing appeared.
Old 09/04/2005, 03:56 PM
Premium Member

I got a couple of pictures of the serpents today. The first one is a baby serpent and the next is one of the larger ones.

Next is the leather and the brain:

Last is a snail I saw in my tank. It was really small. I went to take it out so I could get a better picture of it, and wouldn't you know I dropped it before I got it out, and it fell into a really small hole in the rock. Anyone know what it is?
Old 09/04/2005, 03:59 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkelley02
Pat, With the reef chili, are you seeing the polyps extending for eating and everything? I had to stop using the phyto feast as within an hour, the front glass already looked foggy from the algea.

On days I didn't feed, nothing appeared.
Brian, I have noticed NO difference whatsoever between the two. The only thing I really have that has the tenticles extending is the candy cane, and it does that every day like it always did.
I don't know if either one is better than the other. Although, I am just remembering last week I found that baby hammer. So maybe the reef chili is better stuff.
All my corals appear to be growing, and I have had no die off at all.
Old 09/04/2005, 04:01 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Pat. It's just so nice not to have to scrape the glass except MAYBE once a week. I'll have to give that a Reef Chili a try too.
Old 09/04/2005, 04:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkelley02
Thanks Pat. It's just so nice not to have to scrape the glass except MAYBE once a week. I'll have to give that a Reef Chili a try too.
I think you might be really happy with it Brian. No scraping glass for me. I will use the magfloat maybe once every 1 or 2 weeks just to get dust and snail eggs off the glass. It doesn't cloud the tank either. Feed every other day just like the DT's. I bought the 3 jars just so I could get free shipping plus a syringe to target feed. I haven't target fed yet though.
It was only $34.99 total for the 3 jars. Between the 2 tanks I have, we were going thru DT's at a pretty good pace, and at $22-$23 a bottle.
This comes with a tiny spoon and you put one spoonful in for every 20g water volume along with ½ cup of your tank water. The spoon size is so tiny, you wonder if it's really getting enough.....but evidently it is.
I just looked at the tank, and I think I have to say that I am very pleased with it. My hammer is looking much bigger than it had been. Things are extended and open much more.
Old 09/04/2005, 04:11 PM
Premium Member

Thanks. I should be able to find this by just searching using 'Reef Chili'? I've seen it on Ebay but unsure if its the same guy or what.
Old 09/04/2005, 04:12 PM
Premium Member

www.reefchili.com

He ships it out right away too. I think I had mine 3 days after I ordered it.
Old 09/04/2005, 04:25 PM
Premium Member

Here is a full tank shot I just took:
Old 09/04/2005, 06:56 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Pat,

Great pictures, I love that brain you have! Is it really blue? Both of mine are green tinted.

Here are a couple of hitchhiker pictures:

An urchin, some tube corals and some unidentifed green things in the upper left. Anyone know what those are?

Also, I discovered I have a fleshy limpet! I was really hoping to get one and I did Anyone know what they eat? Are they called fleshy limpets? Anyone know the scientific name?

It is the orange thing in the right side of the pic. I touched it with a chopstick and it retracted

Brian
Old 09/04/2005, 07:08 PM
Premium Member

Brian, those green things look like some sort of feather dusters.

My brain is not blue....it flouresces greenish. It looks blue on your computer screen? I just went back and looked at the picture, and it looked green to me on my screen....and it's the same color in my tank as I showed in the picture. I wish it were blue...that would be nice!

I have no clue what a fleshy limpet even is. I'll have to look it up now.
Old 09/04/2005, 09:33 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Pat,

It kind of looks blue/green on my screen, maybe my screen is off a little?

Here are a few more hitchhiker pics and my best pic of my green zoas so far:

Anyone know what this green algae is?

Green zoas:

Brian
Old 09/04/2005, 09:45 PM
Robotic Overlord

When I was in the LFS oogling the 110 long they had the FATEST and most amazing Mandarin I have ever seen! Sadly it will probably go to some yahoo with no idea how to care for it I wish I had a tank big enough to support it but my 40 isn't up to snuff for one
Old 09/04/2005, 10:02 PM
Soul of a Sailor

Brian, the green things look like hydroids.
The fleshy limpets eat the same stuff as any other limpets: algae, and some sessile inverts. There are lots of species so I don't know of a scientific name.
Old 09/05/2005, 06:34 AM
Registered Member

dwculp, i saved the phosban. pat how do you know the reef chili doesn't have as much phos. as the dt's?
Old 09/05/2005, 07:57 AM
Premium Member

I don't know if the reef chili has less phosphates than the DT's or not.

Nice pictures Brian!
Old 09/05/2005, 08:58 AM
Premium Member

Hey guys! I am staying at my daughter's house as we got electricity here over the weekend and was able to access internet today. First thing I wanted was to check the TBS thread! Hurricane really hit us hard here in Gulfport. My house was fairly heavily damaged and will take long while to repair but very thankful to have a house left! Daughter's house 2 miles from mine and had minimal damage. Hard to figure how some had total destruction and some minimal. Anyway, some of you may remember I had received my part 2 less than 2 weeks prior to storm. Well I am running a generator 3-4 x day to circulate and airate the tank water some. Also have 2 battery operated airstones running. So far looks like rocks and what little hitchhikers I have are still alive. Hope I can keep it alive til we are able to get electricity. Have to try and get a large tree off roof first as it lies over where lines connect to house. As to cost of gas, we just wish gas was available! May run out of gas soon and not be able to run generator. Everyone please keep all of us here and in New Orleans in prayers.
Carla
Old 09/05/2005, 09:11 AM
Premium Member

Carla, I am so glad to hear that you're safe! That's the most important thing.
sent you a pm.
Old 09/05/2005, 02:12 PM
Premium Member

so clean - do you scape your back glass?

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Here is a full tank shot I just took:
Old 09/05/2005, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

Carla, glad you came through that horrible storm as well as you did. I feel so horrible for those that lost everything! Best of luck to you AND your tank!!! Let us know if there is any way we can help you out. Feel free to pm me.

Sally
Old 09/06/2005, 08:31 AM
Robotic Overlord

Ok, 8:10 the lights kicked on for the first time in 6 days, the tank looks BRIGHT and very good!!! The best it has looked in ages. Heres to hoping the brown creep doesnt return. Will keep you updated!!!

Most everything came through the 6 days with no lights pretty good. My open brain is shriveled, the devils hand is limp, the anemones are shrunk and the brain that came on my TBS is all shrunk and shriveled, however, they are all alive and really dont look bad at all. Should recover quickly with the lights on.

Last edited by dwculp; 09/06/2005 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09/06/2005, 09:18 AM
Premium Member

DW, still no pics!
Old 09/06/2005, 09:23 AM
Robotic Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
DW, still no pics!
\
I will bring the camera back to school tomorrow. Also, a friend of mine is providing me with some pumping Xenia cuttings tomorrow!
Old 09/06/2005, 09:24 AM
Premium Member

I think my condy ate my purple firefish.

The last time I saw the firefish was on Saturday morning. No sign of it since. I purposely didn't feed the condy last week but since the firefish has disappeared the condy has done nothing but poop! I suspect it had a $25 meal the other day.

I think my condy will be evicted from my tank soon. It has gotten very large and is not very pretty anymore. I fear because it keeps moving around it will sting some of my corals also.
Old 09/06/2005, 09:25 AM
Robotic Overlord

My Condy ate a Coral Beauty Angelfish who thought he was a clownfish and a royal gramma. Theres $65.00 in food!!