Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/08/2005, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

Zoos are closing what up

Well my zoos started closing up about 2 weeks ago. now they are all closed. I did a 10 gal water change yesterday and they are still closed. I have a 55g reef w/ 4 65w PCs, two are actinic blue and 2 are 50/50. About a month ago I changed from 10000k bulbs to the 50/50. About two weeks after that the zoos started closing. I tested my water and got:

500 calcium
11 carbonate hardness
8.4 ph
.025 salinity
0 phosphates
5ppm nitrates
0 nitrites
0 ammonia

I add 1/4 teaspoon of calcium and carbonate on alternating days except sunday. I have an automatic topoff of RO water. I have no idea whats wrong and nobody else seems to know
Old 09/08/2005, 02:02 PM
Huh? What? Ya Right!!

What else is in the tank? Anything nearby that could be irritating it? Have you noticed anything ON the zoo's, like maybe a snail with a neat looking shell? Your calcium seems just a tad bit too high, but that's just my opinion. They may not have liked the llighting change, but I don't see that as the solution since you didnt switch up to something stronger. And I'm assuming you did mean 1.025.
You might get a better response over in the Zoanthid forum.

Brianna
Old 09/08/2005, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

I had the same problem - i found out what was causing my Zoo's to close though. My Lemonpeel!! Stupid mistake on my part, putting something in my tank that my fish thought was yummy.

Anjie,x.
Old 09/08/2005, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

the zoos had their own spot. put them all in the middle of the tank in the bottom quarter of the tank. I dont the snails on them but i have seen crabs on them. im upgrading to a 120 this week and the lighting will change i guess ill just let them be until the change