Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2008, 12:11 AM
Registered Member

Would it be acceptable to add these fish to my tank?

I am wanting to place an online order, and before I do, I wanted to make sure that my tank can handle the load.

My 75 gallon has been set up for over a year now with no major problems. All livestock is healthy and I haven't had any fish die since my first yellow tang, back in April.

I currently have:
-2 percula clowns
-1 green chromis
-1 neon goby
-1 yellow watchman goby
-1 tiger pistol shrimp, who is best buddy with my YWG
-1 yellow tang
-1 scooter blenny
-1 three-stripe damsel

I was wanting to add these to my tank:
-1 mystery wrasse
-1 flame angel
-2 bartlett anthias

Is this too much, or would it be OK?
Old 01/03/2008, 12:20 AM
Premium Member

what is your filtration system like--amt of live rock, sump, dsb, protein skimmer etc etc?
Old 01/03/2008, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

Your pretty well stock as it is. Hop you have a fuge for the blenny.
Old 01/03/2008, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
what is your filtration system like--amt of live rock, sump, dsb, protein skimmer etc etc?
I have around 75 pounds of live rock and a deep sand bed.

I use an ASM skimmer, one of the smaller ones, but I'm not sure which, exactly.

I use a sump, holds about 15 gallons of water so entire setup is around 90 gallons.

Quote:
Originally posted by demonsp
Your pretty well stock as it is. Hop you have a fuge for the blenny.
Unfortunately, I do not have a fuge. My scooter blenny readily accepts mysis shrimp, however, which is a great thing! I've had him for 6 months with no problems at all.

Perhaps I should spend my money on an acrylic sump now instead of more fish? I just have a makeshift sump set up atm, it is just an old 29 gallon that I keep about halfway full of water at all times. It doesn't even have baffles.

Is there a website online where I can purchase acrylic sumps with built in refugiums and baffles?
Old 01/03/2008, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

I like to use fish as a tool for SB cleaning and algea control as well as some visual display. Go nuts on the coral. Yea just type refugium in any search engine and find them.Little pricey though , and the reason most make it a DIY project.And as projects go its one of the easier one.
Old 01/03/2008, 12:32 AM
Registered Member

Would this be a good sump to buy?

http://www.aquamartonline.com/01551_1_4_1551.html

I found out that I have an ASM Mini-G. It says it fits the ASM G1, but would it also work with the smaller version?
Old 01/03/2008, 12:32 AM
Registered Member

glasscages.com
Old 01/03/2008, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

Check out the DIY forum , lots of good stuff there.

DIY sumps plans
Old 01/03/2008, 01:25 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alzika
I have around 75 pounds of live rock and a deep sand bed.

I use an ASM skimmer, one of the smaller ones, but I'm not sure which, exactly.

I use a sump, holds about 15 gallons of water so entire setup is around 90 gallons.

Unfortunately, I do not have a fuge. My scooter blenny readily accepts mysis shrimp, however, which is a great thing! I've had him for 6 months with no problems at all.

Perhaps I should spend my money on an acrylic sump now instead of more fish? I just have a makeshift sump set up atm, it is just an old 29 gallon that I keep about halfway full of water at all times. It doesn't even have baffles.

Is there a website online where I can purchase acrylic sumps with built in refugiums and baffles?
I agrree with deamonsp--you are pretty well stocked here--even though your filtration system is excellent and capable of handling more there are other issues with that amount of fish such as getting along, territorial issues etc etc to think about.
Old 01/03/2008, 02:19 AM
Registered Member

I tend to agree that you are getting tight but then I prefer more fish than most and the fish you have now are relatively small,so I would say you could add the three and stop if you have good aquascaping that provides ample resting places and open water for swimming.. I didn't see potential incompatability issues in the fish you selected. The bartlets tend to be a bit aggressive with other planktivores but not with anything you've listed except perhaps the green chromis and the neon goby. Just a note on the flame angel. Many will nip corals.
Old 01/06/2008, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

I ended up taking my Three-Stripe Damsel back to the LFS. I found an easy way to catch him...just wait until he is asleep!

If he is asleep, and I turn the light on, he starts acting really odd. He comes out of his cave and starts swimming around, running into walls. I actually just picked him up with my bare hand, heh.

After taking the Damsel back, I ended up buying a Mystery Wrasse and a Flame Angel.

The Yellow Tang showed some aggression towards the Flame Angel yesterday, but seems a lot better today. The Mystery Wrasse is such a strange creature. He acts really odd...the way he moves around and looks at stuff, it's almost as if he is confused. He gives a "***?" look to everything as he swims around...
Old 01/06/2008, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

FWIW, it wouldn't be all that hard to put some baffles into your existing sump to turn part of it into a fuge.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

Im interested to find out how your flame angel does, as I've wanted one for some time. People always told me to add it last so it cant get to territorial towards other fish. The only other 2 fish i wanted to add to my 55 is a FL and a Coral Beauty...but theres mixed feelings on whether those 2 can get along being in the same family.

keep us posted!
Old 01/06/2008, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

Pygmy Angelfish article

Reefkeeping magazine had a very informative article about pygmy angelfish last year that IMO could be helpful in choosing and care. reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/jf/index.php
Old 01/06/2008, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

I think it is highly likely that two angels even two Centropyge angels in a 55g will fight.
Old 01/07/2008, 12:07 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tmz
I think it is highly likely that two angels even two Centropyge angels in a 55g will fight.
I agree two dwarf angles will probably fight and kill one or the other.

I tried a flame angel with a coral beauty--the cb riipped it to shreads and killed it overnight
Old 01/07/2008, 12:12 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alzika
I ended up taking my Three-Stripe Damsel back to the LFS. I found an easy way to catch him...just wait until he is asleep!

If he is asleep, and I turn the light on, he starts acting really odd. He comes out of his cave and starts swimming around, running into walls. I actually just picked him up with my bare hand, heh.

After taking the Damsel back, I ended up buying a Mystery Wrasse and a Flame Angel.

The Yellow Tang showed some aggression towards the Flame Angel yesterday, but seems a lot better today. The Mystery Wrasse is such a strange creature. He acts really odd...the way he moves around and looks at stuff, it's almost as if he is confused. He gives a "***?" look to everything as he swims around...
glad you caught that damsel--I have one that has eluded capture for six months----
haven't tried that one yet--I suppose shinning a flash light on it in the dark might have the same effect???
anyways thanks for the tip.

Yellow tangs always show agression at first--but then they give it up--make sure there is lots for the tang to nibble on during the day---a clip of macro like nori or eg--takes its mind off agression.