Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

6-line attacking snails - help!

I just added some nassarius snails to my tank and my 6-line wrasse will not leave them alone and of course they aren't burying like them should. Is there anything I can do to keep his minds off of the fresh snails?
Old 01/02/2008, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

i added 6 nassarius snails as well and the hermits killed them all! do these guys ever have a chance?
Old 01/02/2008, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

I'm beginning to think that they don't. I only have 6 or so hermits and a few are wearing nassarius shells from my last addition of snails.
Old 01/02/2008, 01:36 PM
Premium Member

my hermits and nassarius snails tussle everynow and then, but pretty much don't bother each other.
Old 01/02/2008, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

That's why I don't have a 6-line wrasse.
Old 01/02/2008, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

BTW, the hermit crabs won't kill the snails if there is a good selection of empty shells around...
Old 01/02/2008, 03:59 PM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

and food..... if your fish or crabs are starving they will try to attack and eat just about anything. A full fish will not attack a hermit crab or snail. It's just too much work.
Old 01/02/2008, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

I fed my fish soon after and the 6-line didn't seem to notice the snails after he ate. Thanks for the help!
Old 01/02/2008, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

Just be sure to watch your nitrates - they can get out of control ussing that method.
Old 01/02/2008, 04:42 PM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

feeding your fish...??? If your nitrates get out of control just from feeding your fish you should seriously re-think your setup...
Old 01/02/2008, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rustybucket145
feeding your fish...??? If your nitrates get out of control just from feeding your fish you should seriously re-think your setup...
There are typically other factors involved, but all nitrate problems are the result of feeding. Overfeeding is more likley to occur if you are trying to keep a fish full, so that it dosn't eat your snails...
Old 01/02/2008, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

I never had a problem with my six-line attacking snails. Of course I feed my fish very well. Feeding could be the issue.
Old 01/02/2008, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

when it comes to crabs and snails the snails will always lose

its a vicious cycle get used to the fact that u'll always see empty snail shells and will have to buy the often
Old 01/02/2008, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

Scarlet hermits seem to attack my snails less. Also, try to pick snail species that are a lot larger than your hermits. Too big to be atttacked.
Old 01/02/2008, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by warrenm107
Scarlet hermits seem to attack my snails less. Also, try to pick snail species that are a lot larger than your hermits. Too big to be atttacked.

I would disagree. Most often the hermits attack the snails because they are outgrowing their shells and need a new larger one. If your snails are there right size and the crab can't find a suitable shell elsewhere, then it will attack. For the most part, the hermit crab can kill any snail if it wants to, regardless of size. Luckily, hermit crabs are lazy and generally will not attack a snail if a suitable shell is available elsewhere... In tanks with lots of suitably sized, empty shells, shell jackings don't usually occur...
Old 01/02/2008, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

BTW, I haven't added a snail to my 75g in over 6 years. I always ask for extra empty shells when I buy snails, and suppliers will usually give them to you.
Old 01/02/2008, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

my nassarius snails are smaller then the hermits--and there are lots of empty shell. they only took after the nassarus-never have they even looked at the turbos.
Old 01/02/2008, 08:32 PM
Premium Member

killer nassarius?

Funny to see this post tonight as I was talking about this with my LFS dudes today. I recently lost all of my conch snails (3) and was trying to figure out why as all my other livestock and parameters have been fine. With 2 of 3 hit, I found them in the clutches of the same nassarius and began to wonder if it had become predatory. My hermits will hit cerith, nerites, and margerites, but have never been able to corral a nassarius or conch (the conches just pop'em off). BTW, I too keep empty shells in the tank.
Old 01/02/2008, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

Okay, maybe you got me. I can't really speak for Turbos, Conch etc... I have no idea about these as IMO they are too big for my reefs But that's certainly possible.
Old 01/02/2008, 08:50 PM
RC Mod

I've had tanks with plenty of spare shells and the hermit crabs would still kill snails from time to time. I just got rid of the hermit crabs.

For the six-line, I don't know what to say other than choose which animal or animals to remove. I think that's unusual for a six-line.
Old 01/02/2008, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bertoni
I've had tanks with plenty of spare shells and the hermit crabs would still kill snails from time to time. I just got rid of the hermit crabs.

For the six-line, I don't know what to say other than choose which animal or animals to remove. I think that's unusual for a six-line.
Hmm, interesting... The only time I've seen that is in a new tank with no shells. I've done this a couple of times now. When I first got my 55g and my 20g, but I added shells and it stopped. I guess there could be some other reason, maybe you just got mean crabs
Old 01/02/2008, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

i'm going with the idea that they are just hungry and going to feed more.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:44 PM
Premium Member

I'm not sure about that - my 4" Genicanthus Lamarck swallowtail angel has recently started picking on the only snail in her tank - a 2"+ Babylon whelk (like a nassarius, just HUGE). Whenever the snail emerges from the sand, she pecks him incessantly until he hides again. The angel is incredibly well fed - there's nori in the tank all day, the fish get a good breakfast every morning, and she eats pods throughout the day. She's the fattest fish I've ever owned, bordering on obese, so she's definitely not attacking the snail out of hunger. She lived with this snail for a long time before deciding he looked like a good snack item, but now that she's set on eating him, she doesn't seem inclined to let up.