Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/23/2007, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Question firefish ??

my gf got me a firefish for x-mas and i cant get him to eat could it be that he is eating to cope pods in my tank or the amphapods in the tank and not wanting to eat food or maybe i need to get diff food what do u feed yours thanks for any info
Old 12/23/2007, 03:18 PM
Team RC Member

Try frozen mysis shrimp, or frozen cyclopeeze. They can be picky.

And watch your top: cover with eggcrate: these guys go airborne when startled.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/23/2007, 03:54 PM
Premium Member

And watch your top: cover with eggcrate: these guys go airborne when startled.

they sure do
Old 12/23/2007, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

This is the only fish in my tank right now, so i'm not too worried about it getting startled.
Old 12/23/2007, 04:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by viperdragon666
This is the only fish in my tank right now, so i'm not too worried about it getting startled.

just you walking by can startle it, trust me use eggcrate or a top to keep him in or he will be carpetsurfing in no time
Old 12/23/2007, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scrmbld33
just you walking by can startle it, trust me use eggcrate or a top to keep him in or he will be carpetsurfing in no time
Yes if mine sees a shadow its no were to be found.
Old 12/23/2007, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

HOw long has it been in your tank? Firefish are not picky eaters I have has some that take a week to start eating.
Old 12/23/2007, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

well for some reason mine eats spirulina algae flakes.... i put in some flakes for my clown, and then the firefish ate them. it didnt seem to interested in mysis. so maybe you could try spirulina algae flakes.
and mine has never jumped out of the aquarium.. even when people run by or pop up out of no where.
Old 12/23/2007, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

Mine started on mysis and are now eating formula one flake, and formula 2 frozen, they dont seem to care for the formula one frozen though. They also dont like pieces they cant easily fit in thier mouths.
Old 12/23/2007, 10:37 PM
problem algae grower

which kind of ff?
Old 12/24/2007, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

thanks for all the info guys. He dosnt seem to get spooked very easly he finally did eat some brine shrimp last night and he must have really liked it casue me and my gf watched him eat for like 30 min as it floated around the tank and he picked every last peace out of the water. So i am happy now thanks guys for the help
Old 12/24/2007, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

I love firefish, especially the purple ones. Hardy, non-agressive, and beautiful. Wouldn't have a tank without them!

I didn't know they had a reputation as jumpers. Makes sense, though. One of mine mysteriously disappeared.....when I moved out of my condo four years later, there he was behind the tank stand ...dead (obviously), shrivelled, but still very purple

-R
Old 12/24/2007, 12:56 PM
Premium Member

i had one for a long time in my old 55g reef. i left the top open (foolish), but he always darted into a hole in the LR when he got startled. then i put a 6 line wrasse in there (very foolish). i just got done feeding and was walking back to the kitchen when i felt something on the bottom of my sock, and there was my FF, dead. the 6 line made him jump. and the 6er was picking at my scooter dragonet. needless to say, i was PO'ed, bigtime. the 6 line was out of there within 2 days. trust me, cover the tank, you'll be happy you did.
Old 12/24/2007, 03:07 PM
Premium Member

im in the process now of inventing a parachute and helmet for firefish
Old 12/25/2007, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the info guys. i have a hood on my tank but ill have to make a back for it so he cant jump behind my tank
Old 12/26/2007, 01:15 AM
Registered Member

MIne eats chopped up clam mysis and pellet food.
Old 12/26/2007, 03:24 AM
Registered Member

Yayy finally activated. ive had my 29 set up for about 16 months now. i have a ton of hard and soft corals doing quite well. i have a pair of black saddleback clowns. ive had them for about a month now and were very timid when i first introduced my new purple firefish. i have lost one prior to this. so i wanted to make sure this was a healthy specimen when i put another in. which i wanted so bad since they look to cool! i was a little too scared to drip him due to jumping...so i poked a few holes in the bag and took care of him. he was having some trouble taking down formula one pellets but was eating them no less

he was in the store for almost 3 weeks and eating fine. i only put actinics on for the first few hours in the tank. then introduced daylights. all this was in day 1

today was day 2. and he was just hiding in a crevice against the glass. he seems pretty content there. he isnt breathing too fast or anything. normal gill movement. i read that they can hide in this way when they have been bullied...

the clowns havent mated up yet so one will chase the other around from time to time. any idea if observing this behavior would stress the firefish out to the point of hiding? and if so...what to do to get him to come out and eat. the lights are off now, i thawed out some ocean plankton and emerald entre. a pretty wide variety...ive got garlic and vitamins in it too. so ill try that tom.

any idea why hes eating the first day and hiding the second? would a high pH at night due to low alkalinity do it? or what? sorry for the long message. but i dont want to lose this guy. thanks!

-N
Old 12/26/2007, 09:36 AM
Premium Member

My firefish must not know it's a firefish because it eats the small pellets, cyclopeeze and any free floating algae that my tang sometimes misses. It also likes to hang out with the other fish and doesn't hide like most apparelty do.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...92Firefish.jpg
Old 12/26/2007, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

ya my firefish is doing very well he eats everything that floats in the tank. but still need to get some eggcrate for the back of my canopy just in case u know

sokretys
im guessing that the clowns are making him hide and need some time to make him feel at home i would just do your best to make the food get to him and try to feed him when hes out just what i think
Old 12/27/2007, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

i made a mix of ocean plankton and spirulina enriched brine with some garlic extreame. the firefish came out and stuffed himself.

my guess as to why hes hiding now versus being out and about around the first night is that the clowns hadnt been bickering. the dominant male always chases the other. at from time to time. i dont remember him doing it much the night of exploration. he must have started chasing the next morning and made the firefish nervous. cuz from how he was eating...i would just call him shy. which is to be expected...so im guessing all is well. almost. cuz he didnt eat the pellets again. just the special blend. -Nate
Old 12/27/2007, 09:15 AM
Registered Member

well im glad to hear that he is eating something hope he keeps getting better
Old 01/02/2008, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

Can you keep 2 to 3 firefish in a small tank? I have a 36G with one firefish and two clowns, and I was thinking about adding one or two more firefish.
Old 01/02/2008, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dntx5b9
Can you keep 2 to 3 firefish in a small tank? I have a 36G with one firefish and two clowns, and I was thinking about adding one or two more firefish.
I may be out voted on this, but I think it would be fine if you added another firefish to this tank. I would even say adding 2 would be ok. I would not add any other fish then that, but I think adding 2 more firefish to a 36 with 2 clowns and one firefish would be fine. Just my opinion though.

Just be sure to chek the trates to make sure you don't see them skyrocket or anything.
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Fire Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp
Old 01/02/2008, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

dntx, for variety and personality, why not consider a pygmy angel (or another type of small fish) rather than two firefish? It would take you to your max capacity, but would be reasonable for a 36g. Here is a great reefkeeping magazine article on the species: reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/jf/index.php