Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

Is The Carbon In My Filter Cartriges Good Or Bad?

I HAVE HO PENGUIN FILTER THAT I REMOVED THE BIO WHEELS FROM...I BUY R/O BOTTLED WATER WITH SYNTHETIC SALT....SHOULD I REMOVE THE CARBON FROM THE CARTRIGES?
Old 01/04/2008, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

Depends how long it been in there! You need to change it every 3months or so because it will become exausted. Its good IMO to run carbon.
Old 01/04/2008, 06:42 PM
Team RC Member

It should be discarded if it has run 4 days.

Carbon, among all things we use in our tanks, has a NASTY hidden feature. Once it 'saturates' with something it's absorbed, it starts releasing it BACK into the water hand over fist. It can even become a nitrate farm, due to detritus building up in its gaps.

Always keep track of the time carbon has been in your tank and don't forget.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 01/04/2008, 07:36 PM
Gold Digger

Sk8r, just to clarify, are you saying to change all carbon after 4 days or only on something small like his filter cartridge after 4 days? If its the former then ill have to rethink my regular changes out of a phosban reactor of every 3 weeks Longer than that I will agree it gets pretty cruddy! But thats just me
Old 01/05/2008, 09:30 AM
Premium Member

I have a Penguin 200 HOB filter and removed the wheel some time ago. I change out the carbon filter cartridge with every other weekly 10% water change.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:25 PM
Premium Member

Anyone else have any thoughts on this ? Very Interrrrresting...