Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2008, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

Can I have one bulb for my tank

I was wondering if i can only have one bulb for my tank. What i mean by one bulb is that i just install a blue bulb for my corals.
Old 01/02/2008, 12:01 AM
RC Mod

The corals would do better with a whiter bulb. Depending on the kind of bulb, the size of the tank, and the type of corals, that might be fine. Need more details...
Old 01/02/2008, 12:18 AM
RC Mod

Hi, got your pm. For a 30g tank, one fluorescent bulb isn't going to provide enough light for many corals, but you could try some mushroom corals, as a starting point. Is this a normal fluorescent or PC?
Old 01/02/2008, 04:29 AM
Premium Member

I have a single 20w trichromatic flourescent bulb in my tank hood (poor planning). I always figured that I would have to upgrade to try even low-light corals. Do you think I could get away with trying a mushroom coral with this bulb before upgrading?
Old 01/02/2008, 07:06 AM
Registered Member

I was wondering this same thing except with just LR. I'm getting some LR soon and I was wondering if a standard t12 fluorescent bulb is enough to keep the LR and coralline algae alive. I'll be getting better lights in 2 or 3 months so it'll have to stay alive till then.
Old 01/02/2008, 07:10 AM
Registered Member

leo, some coraline likes dimmer light. i know mine grows the most in shadows and low light areas. it should be ok.
Old 01/02/2008, 07:18 AM
Registered Member

Ok cool! thanks
Old 01/02/2008, 09:08 AM
Premium Member

Leo, I have LR w/ CA on mine, does fine with 20w flourescent.
Old 01/02/2008, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

OK thanks. That's all I need to know.
Old 01/02/2008, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

I had a one bulb fixture on the hood it came with when I bought it. I was told it was only good for fish only. I am so surprised to be seeing these replies saying it is okay to try some of corals with that fixture! Upgrade your lighting before waisting money trying anything more then fowlr.
Old 01/02/2008, 03:17 PM
clams are your friends.

I agree, spend your money on better lighting instead of corals right now. A decent lighting fixture is a worthwhile investment if you want to keep corals, even low light ones. A 20W standard flourescent fixture on a 30 gallon tank is just not going to cut it with the corals. Even if they survive, they probably won't look very good.
Old 01/02/2008, 08:38 PM
Premium Member

Seapug just said exactly what the LFS dudes told me today! 20w is all fine and good for a FOWLR, but even mushroom corals will struggle with such low light. I will be upgrading my light before any coral goes in.
Old 01/04/2008, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seapug
I agree, spend your money on better lighting instead of corals right now. A decent lighting fixture is a worthwhile investment if you want to keep corals, even low light ones. A 20W standard flourescent fixture on a 30 gallon tank is just not going to cut it with the corals. Even if they survive, they probably won't look very good.
I never said I was going to add any corals yet. All I said was that I'm getting some LR soon so I was wondering if a NO 20W fluorescent light in a 29g tank will keep the LR alive while I get some more funds for better lights, THEN get some corals.
Old 01/04/2008, 03:51 PM
Premium Member

Live Rock doesn't need light, nor do fish need light. You just wont be able to see anything.
Old 01/04/2008, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

leolizards, we were not answering your question about the live rock! We were answering Thomas184 question seeing he was the was that posted the question. Thats why you should post your own questions instead of hijacking someone else's thread!I can't believe you are mad and 2 days later yet!
Old 01/05/2008, 01:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Deb91
leolizards, we were not answering your question about the live rock! We were answering Thomas184 question seeing he was the was that posted the question. Thats why you should post your own questions instead of hijacking someone else's thread!I can't believe you are mad and 2 days later yet!
I'm not mad. My avatar looks like he's mad though. Maybe he gave you the wrong impression. The funny thing is that it's just words without emotions so they get interpreted wrong at times. I think that's why we have smiles.
I thought you guys were talking to me because seapug mentioned a 30g tank and the original poster never mentioned his tank size. I also never meant to hijack his thread either. Sorry for the inconvenience I may have caused.

Leo
Old 01/05/2008, 01:38 AM
Registered Member

Leolizards I see what you are saying now about the 30 gal. tank part.Sorry when I read it over I did sound like a blank. I saw his post back up and thought he had more lighting questions. Friends?
Old 01/06/2008, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

lol of course! Deb91 where you born in 91? Aren't you a bit young to have such a nice reef tank? j/k Is that your anemone in your avatar?

As for Thomas184's question, maybe a 14.000k HM. I like the look of it because it has a nice blueish tone to it without over doing it. I plan on adding one to my tank and maybe also an actinic as well.
Old 01/06/2008, 08:51 PM
clams are your friends.

I was answering both of you by referring to the greater topic involved-- adequate lighting. The original poster obviously told bertoni that he had a 30 gal. tank because bertoni referred to it in his reply. Follow the thread before you post. Unless you are the person who started the thread, remember you are stepping in to a pre-exisitng conversation.

Coralline Algae does need light, not a lot of lit, but an adequate amount of the proper spectrum will make it grow faster. If you use a standard t12 bulb, coralline algae will benefit from a full spectrum daylight bulb made for aquarium use.

Last edited by seapug; 01/06/2008 at 09:03 PM.