Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 11/20/2007, 02:52 PM
RC Sponsor

The final small will be 10.5 inch base 5in neck air intake should be 850-900L/hr of air
Old 11/20/2007, 03:11 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
Thats odd, I tried the same thing, and the skimmer worked fine... had it up at over 1100lph. The skimmer didnt perform any better though. Anton has said this before, that more air in these bodies wont improve the performance so much as just make the skimmate lighter. So to get more performance, you need a larger neck.
The Sicce pump used was a ATi modified Sicce that came off of a BM250, the foaming was outrageously turbulent. I'm just assuming the air draw was somewhere between 1,000lph to 1,250lph as previously tested by the dealer on the ATi Sicce. I know the same skimmer dealer and have talked to him about his testing he did last month. Yes, a wider diameter neck and/or taller needs to happen to compensate for the ATi Sicce modified pump, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally posted by ATB USA
The final small will be 10.5 inch base 5in neck air intake should be 850-900L/hr of air
This is a great change, more air draw and increase the body side to match the stronger pump. Hopefully, the same will happen with the Nano.

Last edited by Reef Sponger; 11/20/2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11/20/2007, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
This is a great change, more air draw and increase the body side to match the stronger pump. Hopefully, the same will happen with the Nano.
The same thing is happening to the nano. the new nano will be 7.5" at the base and 4" diameter neck. should kick some serious protiens
Old 11/20/2007, 04:12 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by rishma
The same thing is happening to the nano. the new nano will be 7.5" at the base and 4" diameter neck. should kick some serious protiens
great!
Old 11/20/2007, 06:00 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Quote:
Yeah, if I pull my eheim off the skimmer, it gets 900-960lph now. The back pressure from the higher water level in the skimmer cuts it down to 850lph. With the larger diameter body on the new ones, the skimmer will be able to be mounted in deeper sumps w/o microbubbles, so the air intake should go back up. If Anton does everything to the 1260 that he does to the 1250, this pump could do 1600lph no doubt. Enlarging the volute like H&S would do even more. But just boring out the outlet to 1-1/8", adding a face bonded outlet, and contouring the insides might do alot as well... but isnt really needed. 850lph is alot for my Small... it doesnt really produce more skimmate with the extra air... just wetter. With the 5" neck and a 10.5" base, this skimmer will be perfect.

Victor has an extra 1250 pump w/ threadwheel (cracked in shipping) that I was hoping to get. I will most likely run my Small with this pump, so I can see how this skimmer was like with its original design.

Lol, my brand new skimmer is 'dated'... well, I suppose, thats what it was supposed to be: a test sample to get everything just right for the US. I cant complain, and I dont think anyone else with a Small can either. Sure, there will be a newer one soon, but its not like this one doesnt skim the living daylights out of my tank!

With all the increases in size, it has come up that ATB might be neglecting the smaller tanks.

So there are two ideas: A HOB, from the design I have, it would be about 10" wide, 3" thick, and about 16" tall, and run off of a Aquaclear 70 powerhead (pump in the skimmer compartment, not in the tank). As some of you remember from the 'pimp my pump 801' thread, I got it up to 400lph easily with just a threadwheel impeller and a custom volute. These things would be easy for Anton to make. Aimed squarely at other HOB's in the $200-250 range, but this one would produce more air, have a bubble plate, and a variation on the pyramid/cone shape.

The other idea is merely a 'pico' model... similar to the current ones, same Aquaclear 70 pump as the HOB, but with about a 4.5"-5" base, 3" neck, about 16" tall. It could be made cheaper because at that size, 3/16" or even 1/8" acrylic could be used for the cone. It would get 300-350lph of air, and use about a 4.5"-5" diameter collection cup. This would be aimed at the 75g and under crowd (based on the ATB ratings, a 100g tank is possible... if lightly stocked IMO).

Last edited by hahnmeister; 11/20/2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11/20/2007, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G Blenny
I can't wait to see others post their comparisons with other skimmers they were running before getting one.
soon!
Old 11/24/2007, 12:00 PM
Moved On

Update

ATB Nano collection cup has been emptied and cleaned twice already, every 5 days. Photos is 48 hours after the 2nd collection cup cleaning. You can see how much is starting to collect at the top part of the riser within the collection cup. We are experiencing microbubbles entering the sump, but then this skimmer is running at 650lph-700lph consistently. In my opinion, I would rather have the skimmer running at this rate, rather than 500lph.
Old 11/24/2007, 12:41 PM
Generic Member

I hope the microbubble problem is corrected before the final product is released.

It looks like you use the Kent reef additive. The skimate is emerald green.
Old 11/24/2007, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

Lumamae, so this is with the original mesh and NOT the enkamat correct? Also no restriction on the output? How high is the water level in the sump? That skimmate is so green - is the tank having an algae bloom or something?
Old 11/24/2007, 12:55 PM
RC Sponsor

The micro bubbles has been corrected on the final version.
We have switched the nano to a needlewheel which will reduce the output to 500-550l/hr of air
The new nano body is 7.5 base with a 4" neck.
Uhuru if you use the restrictor you will have no microbubbles
Old 11/24/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

Ok thanks for sending me the parts Victor I will have mine setup this week just to test the microbubbles
Old 11/24/2007, 01:04 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by sjm817
I hope the microbubble problem is corrected before the final product is released.

It looks like you use the Kent reef additive. The skimate is emerald green.
The microbubble problem has already been corrected. I just prefer to run the skimmer at 650lph-700lph, instead of 500lph-550lph as Victor mentioned. But the sump that the ATB Nano is in doesn't return any microbubbles to the tank because it's in a 3 section sump with baffles, carbon chamber and sponges before it hits the return pump section.

No, I don't dose with with anything other than regular water changes. I feed my tank with live phytoplankton, Rod's food, Spectrum & Spirulina mini pellets. The green is most likely coming from phytoplankton and spirulina pellets.
Old 11/24/2007, 01:09 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by uhuru
Lumamae, so this is with the original mesh and NOT the enkamat correct? Also no restriction on the output? How high is the water level in the sump? That skimmate is so green - is the tank having an algae bloom or something?
Yes, everything is original, nothing changed. Skimmer sitting in about 6" sump water height. Earlier video I had, the skimmate was lighter green and as the skimmer breaks in, the skimmate is getting darker. Doesn't matter what the color of the liquid is, the chunks of crap that is collecting on the neck and inside the collection cup is still brown, as you can see. No, no algae bloom, it's probably from the food that I feed the tank is what I assume since I don't dose with any additives.

Last edited by Lumamae; 11/24/2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11/24/2007, 01:13 PM
RC Sponsor

Nano skimmate
Old 11/24/2007, 01:32 PM
RC Sponsor

The nano running at 700-750 will perform better than the picture above. But the draw back is you will have microbubbles in your sump. The picture above is the nano at 550 for 3 days.
Lumamae I will send you the needlewheel disc so you can try it out in a couple of weeks.
Old 11/24/2007, 01:35 PM
Generic Member

You need to change the model names. That is far from what people think of as a nano skimmer!
Old 11/24/2007, 01:39 PM
RC Sponsor

I understand I am thinking small medium large and Xl
Old 11/24/2007, 01:55 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by sjm817
You need to change the model names. That is far from what people think of as a nano skimmer!
I 2nd that. Maybe if enough members bring this up, they will. I brought this up before the 1st shipment of ATB Nanos arrived to the USA. Of course, after seeing the ATB Nano perform, it's capacity is more like 150g-200g range, at least the model with the meshwheel impeller. So, please change the ratings to be more accurate when you guys rename the models.
Quote:
Originally posted by Lumamae
Just a suggestion, can someone rename these?

Victor & HahnM,
Can you guys rename these for USA market, instead of Nano, Small, Normal and XL? The Nano isn't for nano tanks, it's capacity is probably around 100g - 150g range, probably 200g is optimistic. Maybe call it by the diameter x height?

Last edited by Lumamae; 11/24/2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11/24/2007, 02:05 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Lumamae I will send you the needlewheel disc so you can try it out in a couple of weeks.
Just send it out to Ed at KMA is fine as I can pickup from him when it comes in. Do you have replacement O-Ring for the ATB Nano? This seems to have a very slight leaking around where the collection cup seats into the body. Thanks! Also, wanted to let you know that I've been really impressed with the quick response of ATB Austria in supporting you as the new master dealer for the USA. At least we know that we shouldn't have any customer service issues in the future.
Old 11/24/2007, 02:45 PM
RC Sponsor

Thats the first thing I thought about is the o rings I actually have about 20 feet of it. I have to ask Anton how he turns it into a circle though. I know people are worried about replacement parts. I have order all repalcement parts cups, air silencers, wedgepipes, etc for each skimmer. Thank you for the comments
Old 11/27/2007, 02:08 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
I understand I am thinking small medium large and Xl
what about the pico i keep bugging you about??? lol

i need a pico version.
Old 11/27/2007, 02:53 PM
RC Sponsor

we are actually working on a hang on skimmer
Old 11/27/2007, 03:40 PM
El Jefe de WRS

So which do you think is better for a HOB... something long and narrow to fit behind the tank... like 3" thick by10 wide"? Or something more square, like 4.5"x4.5"?
Old 11/27/2007, 03:49 PM
RC Sponsor

Hi Jon
I prefer the long and narrow but lets see what Anton decides
Old 11/27/2007, 03:54 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Well, I figured... ask the people what they want.