Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/28/2007, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

Chain Reactor? RTN?

Is it unheard of to have a chain reaction of RTN? I recently picked up a few sps some of the ones I purchased I got really cheap as they were brown or damage I figured I'd take a chance and see if I can bring em back around. Well, of course as expected some of the damaged ones didn't make it, what I didn't expect though as once 1 of the bigger damaged ones let go, some of the seemingly healthy SPS that I picked up as well (for not so cheap) RTN'd as well. I added the SPS on Monday, they are RTN'D last nite. I have a fairly vast amount of water I assumed, that an acro rtn'n wouldn't effect my tank to the point pollution wise where everything else would freak..

My params are a pretty solid atm.

Mag 1420-1440
Calc 460
ALK 9.6
PH 8.15-8.30
Salinity 1.026
Phos (non detectable)
Nitirate/Nirtae (non detectable)
Temp 79.0-79.5 (yaaa new heater )

Any thoughts? Is it not unheard of for 1 dying acro to set a chain reactor, or maybe I just had a run of bad luck and a picked a couple corals that I shouldn't have.. I'm thinking about going in and fragging whats left of anything that is dying/or damaged.
Old 09/28/2007, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

I'm surprised a bunch of experts haven't chimed in yet, but IME it can spread. The cause of RTN doesn't seem well known from what I've read, and may have a number of different causes, but i believe bacterial infection (vibro?) can be a factor. Thus, makes sense it could spread, and therefore probably good idea to get sick out of closed environment (tank).
Old 09/28/2007, 11:48 AM
Humble Reefkeeper

Yes, it can spread. Many folks believe that a dipping in 10-15 drops of Lugols Iodine (or one of the other coral dips that are now marketed) per liter of water for 10 minutes before addition to the tank is a good idea to make RTN less likely to occur and to spread.
Old 09/28/2007, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

Hmm ya you know.. There was one that was rtn'n when I bought it, but I dipped it and still is holding steady, the big one that started to go was just bleached but did have some signs of damage, it started to turn brown so I thought it was healing (from being bleached) but then it let go.. and that in exchange caused this very sexy deep water unknown acro I picked up to litterly just shed it's skin at once (the entire piece) there is a 4th acro that is showing signs of damage to, I'll dip that one tonight and whats left of the others and try to save them..

Do you think I should go threw and DIP all my acros that are removable now just to be on the safe side?
Old 09/30/2007, 03:50 PM
Moved On

RTN is contagious, just like a fever.
Old 09/30/2007, 03:59 PM
Premium Member

RTN is a symptom, not a disease. It is the corals response to a specific condition- whether it be infection, parameters, lighting, etc. The important thing to assess is what has changes since this RTN event. I would get it is water-bourne, so I would do a good water change, get some fresh carbon in there and maybe dip.
Old 09/30/2007, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

Well they are all new additions to my system, and as I said some of them were already damaged I wanted to try to give em a go, and see if I could bring em around, but ya.. I did a couple water changes (was needed anyways) went ahead and dipped all the new additions in TM..i should change my carbon it has been a bit. Although am I a bit confused as some of you are saying on thing, and others the opposite.