Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers

Old 01/10/2008, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

Meteor Shower Care? Pics?

I made an online order and the retailer called to tell me that one of my frags I had purchased turned out smaller than they hoped so they were going to send me a free piece of a Meteor Shower. I don't know anything about them so any advice on flow and lighting would be great. Also if you have a Meteor Shower coral in your tank post a picture so I can see some other than what online retailers have. Thanks.
hydor koralia #4 & #3
Old 01/10/2008, 07:55 PM
TOTM 2010

Re: Meteor Shower Care? Pics?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lyscer
I made an online order and the retailer called to tell me that one of my frags I had purchased turned out smaller than they hoped so they were going to send me a free piece of a Meteor Shower. I don't know anything about them so any advice on flow and lighting would be great. Also if you have a Meteor Shower coral in your tank post a picture so I can see some other than what online retailers have. Thanks.

If it's what I think it is then you got a sweet deal. The only meteor shower I know of is an echino. Baby blue with red polyps. I think vivid aquarium sells them.
Old 01/10/2008, 07:58 PM
TANK RAIDER!

Re: Re: Meteor Shower Care? Pics?

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Jim
If it's what I think it is then you got a sweet deal. The only meteor shower I know of is an echino. Baby blue with red polyps. I think vivid aquarium sells them.
meteor shower cyphastrea?
Old 01/10/2008, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

I placed my order with http://www.atlantisaquarium.net/ and they have 2 meteor shower corals on their site but I really don't know about the care of these. Should I treat it just like my sps? Throw it in and basically forget about it?
hydor koralia #4 & #3
Old 01/10/2008, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

I just looked at vividaquariums site and it told me how to care for it. Thanks for a hint in the right direction
hydor koralia #4 & #3
Old 01/10/2008, 08:11 PM
Gold Member

I keep mine towards the bottom of the tank with moderate flow. It has been through several tanks and fragged a lot along the way but has always done well where I put it.

Old 01/10/2008, 08:13 PM
TOTM 2010

Quote:
Originally posted by slovan
I keep mine towards the bottom of the tank with moderate flow. It has been through several tanks and fragged a lot along the way but has always done well where I put it.

I'm not saying yours ins't healthy, because I've never seen one in person, but it seem as though the polyp extension is saying it's not getting enough light. Have you ever moved it up towards the top?
Old 01/10/2008, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

cyphastreas do really well under low to medium light. they are actually really hardy species. you will definately enjoy watching it grow.
Old 01/10/2008, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

Uh, my green cyphastrea is just under my 250w MHs....
Old 01/11/2008, 08:34 PM
2007 Eastern Conf. Champs

Re: Re: Meteor Shower Care? Pics?

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Jim
Actually, it is not an Echino, but a Cyphastrea species as someone said already. This particular morph of C. Occelina , the Atlantis Meteor Shower Chyphastrea, will lose it's nice blue base color and much of the pop from the polyp color if it is put in bright light. It does well in low, indirect light. If you prefer to have the base color and polyps washed out, and the polyps not extended, by all means put it up high.

Atomikk- The green cyphastrea that is typically imported i s a shallow water species that does much better under bright lighting than this particular morph. I have a solid green one, and a green base with orange polyps, the solid one does ok under any lighting I have tried, the one with the orange polyps only does well under low lighting. Turns ugly brown if too high up.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

Good info. It showed up today and here is a picture of the one that I got

it is currently placed about 12" off the bottom of my tank and the lights are probably 17" above that. Essentially it is in the middle level of my tank. Think it should go lower? Not sure as though I could find a spot any lower due to the layout of my rockwork though.
hydor koralia #4 & #3
Old 01/11/2008, 11:40 PM
Premium Member

hey there - i have the same coral (meteor shower cyphastrea) from Atlantis. i picked it up in person and someone there gave me very bad advice -- to put it under high light... it grew, but it lost it's base color entirely and the polys started to go clear (not bleached looking - just pale - no pop).

i moved it half way down and it is better - color returning - but i think it really likes to be down low. granted, i'm running XM 10K's with actinics - so YMMV, but i would recommend starting it as low as possible and working upward only if needed. by the way -- i can see it grow day to day! beautiful. good luck!
Old 01/12/2008, 12:27 AM
OMAS VP

I have mine in the bottom of my tank.This is one of my fastest growing corals in my tank.I cant figure out why the price is so high?I bought this from my lfs who bought it from Atlantis.
This is 5 months growth.

Old 01/12/2008, 12:30 AM
Registered Member

That is some crazy growth. What type of flow is it in? I will see if I can move it to the lower regions of my tank to stay in a safe place away from all of the LPS's I have in the sand.
hydor koralia #4 & #3