Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/13/2007, 03:59 AM
Unregistered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RoBolton
Where would we need to sent the information to be added to the chart?
You can post it here or you can PM RobbyG, Straegen, or myself.

For the vast majority of buyers the information contained in the chart hits all the major points when buying a skimmer. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to gather viable/verifiable data to add categories such as dwell time, air draw, etc... those are fairly technical data and skimmer manufacturers don't seem to have a lot of technical data on their skimmers. Controllers on the other hand include most information needed to make solid comparisons in their manuals or on their websites.

If someone would like to volunteer to attempt to collect and verify this data we would be more than happy to add it to the chart
Old 12/13/2007, 03:44 PM
Unregistered Member

Robby, your inbox is full.
Old 12/13/2007, 04:06 PM
One Good Friend

Lets just make it easy and rate the skimmers as

bad, ok, decent, better, good, excellent and bestest

This way there won't be any confusion at all

To much debate about dwell time. Do you really thing newb's are going to worry about dwell time!
Old 12/13/2007, 05:43 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by luke33

To much debate about dwell time. Do you really thing newb's are going to worry about dwell time!
yes but then they would need to have a poll for every skimmer in order to have actual useer ratings vs the companys ratings. its not easy to do what they are doing. the amount of information they have to compile is enoumous. alot of the information they recieve is more than likely from reef central members and other reefing related fourms. it would be a full time job to create actual ratings based on the customers that use them. it can be done but it wouldnt be very easy to accomplish. to start they would have to have a fourm where every type of skimmer available has its own thread or user feed back section so they can keep track of the results from all the users.

this all really depends on how indepth they want to go with this comparison chart. its an awesome idea that in time should be a great source of information for people looking to upgrade there skimmer to a higher performance skimmer.
Old 12/13/2007, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

any way to add pros and cons for skimmers?

just my 0.02
Old 12/13/2007, 07:07 PM
One Good Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by spazz
yes but then they would need to have a poll for every skimmer in order to have actual useer ratings vs the companys ratings. its not easy to do what they are doing. the amount of information they have to compile is enoumous. alot of the information they recieve is more than likely from reef central members and other reefing related fourms. it would be a full time job to create actual ratings based on the customers that use them. it can be done but it wouldnt be very easy to accomplish. to start they would have to have a fourm where every type of skimmer available has its own thread or user feed back section so they can keep track of the results from all the users.

this all really depends on how indepth they want to go with this comparison chart. its an awesome idea that in time should be a great source of information for people looking to upgrade there skimmer to a higher performance skimmer.
Spazz, you know that was a joke to lighten things up right.....
Old 12/13/2007, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

Clearing Inbox.

Thanks.
Old 12/13/2007, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

It's all going to be a matter of opinion unless you really do it right and setup a test bed. You would need to try each skimmer under the exact same conditions and see how well it performs and measure what it removes.

Quote:

Old 12/13/2007, 08:52 PM
One Good Friend

Robby, that would be the ideal test but we both know that will never happen. So this is going to be the best we have.
Old 12/13/2007, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

how about just a poll with all the skimmers that are on the chart... then like click the skimmer and then vote proformence for thay one skimmer that you have experience with.. put " PLEASE ONLY RATE IF YOU HAVE PERSONALLY USED THIS SKIMMER" or somthing like that to get real vote rating.... i know a lot of people will vote off of "read" info but it will be accurate enough??? i know i can rate 2 skimmers... just off performance wise.. and proformance alone. ( nothing about bang for the buck or energy.. people can figure that out w/ chart and performence rating.. )

1-10 .. 1 as suck!! 10 as elite..

tf1000 = 4
octo rps 3000 = 7

YzGyz

2nd best way is to learn from ones own mistakes but the best way to learn is from others...

thx to Randy and so many other for making reefing that much easier
Old 12/13/2007, 09:44 PM
Charleston Reefer

Quote:

But this changes as new skimmers are released. Something that is the best today won't be the best next year. Also this will open a can of worms. I think we both been in enough skimmer threads to know what happens when you start doing stuff like this.

I think its best to leave the chart as is. People can find some skimmers in their price range and will fit in their set up. Then come here and ask what everyone thinks will be best for them.

I think the only thing we should change is the skimmer tank size rating. A lot of those are way off, IMO.

Old 12/13/2007, 09:49 PM
One Good Friend

Yea, i think we should pry just leave it be. There's to many different variables out there. And this pump on this skimmer may be changed tomorrow. Everyone is going to have there own opinions on tank size ratings.

And one last time...that was a joke! lol
Old 12/13/2007, 09:53 PM
Charleston Reefer

Oops that what i get for not reading the full thread...

My bad!

Old 12/13/2007, 09:56 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:

And one last time...that was a joke! lol
my bad.
i will go and sit in the corner with my dunce cap on.
Old 12/17/2007, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

Just a Bump for those who might not have seen the Chart.