Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/24/2007, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

how do you guys catch fish in a reef

Hey whats up peps just got a mystry wrase but I have a six line, and the six line is beating the mystery up. need to get six line out any suggestions.
Old 12/24/2007, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

fish trap ( leave a trap in there for few days and feed only inside the trape) or break down the tank( not 100% but at least some rocks)... good luck. 120g is not too bad tho
Old 12/24/2007, 10:26 PM
Dismembered

Go to a fly shop and get a size 24 hook and some 2lb test line. You can use a tiny piece of shrimp as bait. You may catch a few other fish in the process, so have a pail of water handy to put them in while you fish for the 6 line. I do this all the time with no ill effects to the fish. Good luck!
Old 12/24/2007, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

Nava405 it's now currently a 70g cube I guees I going to have a long night do you know if mystery wrase is a hardy fish I hope he makes it he's pretty badly beat up I got him floating in a plastic container.
Old 12/24/2007, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

i use to watch my buddy fish his damsels out all the time...good luck
Old 12/24/2007, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 818reefer
Nava405 it's now currently a 70g cube I guees I going to have a long night do you know if mystery wrase is a hardy fish I hope he makes it he's pretty badly beat up I got him floating in a plastic container.
70 gallon is not too bad at all. mystery wrasse is pretty hardy, however, if hes getting beat up really bad, he'll try to jump. Same thing happened with Yinger, he bought a mystery and his six line was beating him up, so he had to take out the mystery and sell it.

Personally, i would just take some rocks out and catch the sixline cuz it's alot faster and easier i believe. I know it sounds like alot work, but it'll only take you less than 1 hour to do that rather than wait for few days with fish trap. good luck
Old 12/25/2007, 04:19 AM
Registered Member

I was trying the fish line to catch my Lunare Wrasse, but couldn't snag him. Then I used an isolation chamber with a door as a trap. I fed in it for a week and a half cuz the fish is smart (damsel could have been snagged the first day), but i finally got him off guard on my first attempt at dropping the door.
Old 12/25/2007, 05:24 AM
Registered Member

hey guys it's 2:30am now, finish catching the six line had to basically re aquascaped my tank it took about 4 hours from start to finish. But I may have killed the mystery wrase I can't seem to find him, may have smashed him. waiting till tomorrow if I don't see him I'm going to have to find another one. The mystery wrase was a christmas gift from my girl freind she's pretty pist off.
Old 12/25/2007, 05:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 818reefer
hey guys it's 2:30am now, finish catching the six line had to basically re aquascaped my tank it took about 4 hours from start to finish. But I may have killed the mystery wrase I can't seem to find him, may have smashed him. waiting till tomorrow if I don't see him I'm going to have to find another one. The mystery wrase was a christmas gift from my girl freind she's pretty pist off.
that sux man, i believe you spent most of your time doing the "rescaping" tho. make sure your mystery is not on the floor.

however, if you like wrasses, trust me, it's worth to spend the time to take out the sixline.
Old 12/25/2007, 05:29 AM
Registered Member

my girl bought me a fish one time too & he croaked...never bought me another one...hope yours is okay...especially cause he's so expensive...good luck
Old 12/25/2007, 05:37 AM
Registered Member

FOSELONE my girl said she'll never buy fish stuff for me again. it will be clothes next time. hope I see him tomorrow.
Old 12/25/2007, 06:42 AM
Registered Member

Just wondering do you have sand one the bottom of your tank?
Old 12/25/2007, 02:44 PM
Premium Member

glass jelly jar, or one of those glass milk botels. just leave it in the tank for a few days, start feeding in it, they get real used to it
Old 12/25/2007, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

I caught the six line already, and found my mystery he seems to be in shock still but I think he will recover I hear he is a strong fish. and yes I have sand about 2in.
Old 12/25/2007, 07:32 PM
Just an Average Joe

For future reference:

"The Lazy Reefmeister's Guide to Catching a Fish"

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=714821