Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/16/2007, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

What food do you use?

I know this question comes up a lot, and I've done some research (best I can do with out the search function) nad have been keeping aggressive FOWLR's for a while now. I have always given my fish a great variety to keep them nice and healthy. The fish I have kept, currently keep and will keep are large and pgymy angels, tangs, damsels, clowns, gobies, anthias etc. No lionfish, and more then likely no puffers/triggers or probably wrasses, I need to have a clean up crew and inverts. So here is what I have been feeding.
Mysis shrimp
Clam
Mussel cubes
Emerald entree cubes
Squid
Angel and Butterfly diet cubes
Brine shrimp (sometimes, I know it's not healthy)

Also algae sheets (going to get nori)

I add garlic and either boyds vitachem or selcon to every cup of food I make.

I would like to get some dry food as well to change up the diet. I know some people only use pellets to feed large angels! I always hear new life spectrum pellets are the best, is that true? Are these the pellets? http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod.../1/product.web
I will probably get large and small pellets, since I will have a mixed variety of fish/sizes. What about flake food? I heard that has the most phosphate and can cause algae blooms? I'd rather stay away from that then. Any other suggestions? I think I am doing a good job with having a variety of frozen fish food, just like to add in some pellets or something of the like to change things up for the fish. Thanks for any input.
Old 12/16/2007, 10:44 PM
Premium Member

I avoid flake. I do like New Life Spectrum. This is what I feed.

Pellet-
New Life Spectrum
Formula 2

Frozen-
Mysis Shrimp
Spirulina Brine Shrimp
Cyclops-Eeze

Vitamins-
Selcon
Kent Garlic
Old 12/16/2007, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

I've blended my own or variations of the following: Seafood Combo (Whole bag), Nori (5-6 sheets), Cyclopl-eeze (3 teaspoons), Reef Roids (3 teaspoons), Formula One & Two (3 Tablespoons), Garlic Extreme (1 teaspoon), Selcon (1 teaspoon), 2 tbl spoons of reef builder, several cubes of frozen mysis, baby brine eggs, 1 tsp of ree chili, 1 tsp of coral frenzy. This is the only thing I have feed my tank for over a year now. I know you are fish only so you can omit the reef stuff. My fish and everything in the tank litterally go crazy for this mix!

Brent
Old 12/16/2007, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the response, any difference in the pellets? I will avoid flake as well, just curious. I already got my passer eating pellets that I had laying around, he's a pig and eats anything though. Cyclops-eeze seems to be too small for my fish and I don't have any corals. I still have some of that stuff in the freezer, but no reef tank at the moment. So I think I am good on frozen food, additives and algae sheets (getting nori, just have to find it) just need to finalize the pellet situation. I am going to a fish store that's kind of far away on thursday, and need to stock up on food and other dry goods.
Old 12/16/2007, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

Some of this is still from the departed fish from my 125 so some's for larger preds...

Pellets-
NLS small (can't find the large locally)
Formula 1&2 (both large)

Frozen-
Pro Salt Large Krill
Pro Salt Silverside
Hikari Mysis
Cyclo-pee freezer bar
Spirulina Algae Cubes
Hikari Mega Marine Angel
Raw Scallops
Jumbo raw shrimp shell on

Live-
Brine
Glass/ghost shrimp
Jumbo bait shrimp
Red Tree Sponge

Sheet-
Red and Green (yellow tang hates purple)

Vitamins-
Selcon
Zoe
Seachem Garlic Guard

Want to get-
Clams, freeze and live
ORA Glo
Squid
Old 12/16/2007, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

I feed
Pro-salt krill
The best krill around, big healthy shrimp. I don't use individually quick frozen though because they float, i use the 16 oz sheets
Prosalt IQF Silversides or Sally's silversides
both seem to be of good quality
PE mysis
the best mysis around, they arent small like hikari
Caulerpa
just toss from the refugium to up top
Algae Sheets
New Life spectrum pellets
Garlic extract
Old 12/16/2007, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

bbehring, that is quite the concoction! I have a pretty good mix of frozen food I feel. I am considering putting everything into a blender, then making my own cubes with it. The only problem is my large angels like to eat huge chunks of clam, squid and shrimp. When they get bigger, they won't even go after any of the little stuff. That is why I need a good clean up crew and small fish like damsels that pick up the scraps after my huge fish.

So any more info on pellets/dry foods?
Old 12/16/2007, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

Wow, too many responses I can't keep up. Seems like my frozen mix is pretty much the same, slight differations, nothing major. If anyone sees any problems that I should address with my frozen selection, please inform me! Whether it be take something out or add something in!

So any suggestions on pellet/dry foods then everyone? Thanks for all the replies!
Old 12/16/2007, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

Current fish, damsel, percula clown pair (female true, male false), yellow tang, and Juvi Emporer Angel

Lost fish, Harlequin Tusk, Blue Throat Trigger, Cuban Hogfish, Panther Grouper, Domino Damsel, 2 Juvi Porkfish, 2 Double Whiptail Bream, 1 Monocle Bream.
Old 12/16/2007, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for also giving me your fish list, that helps out a lot too. Keep the suggestions coming everyone, especially about dry food/pellets!
Old 12/17/2007, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

I feed my fish flake on occasion, kinda a mid-day snack I guess

OSI spirulina & OSI marine flakes

Also Formula I, II & a few other frozen foods

My 10+ in hawian trigger loves the flake food

Vitachem, Kent garlic & various other additives are added to all of the food as well.
Old 12/17/2007, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

OK, I have a question also about additives. I always rotated between boyds vitachem and selcon. Is one better then the other? Do I need both or can I cut down to just one? Also I think I am going to buy the new life spectrum pellets, just unsure of the size to get, sound good though? Thanks everyone.
Old 12/18/2007, 01:03 AM
Registered Member

I have 17 fish in my 120 gallon tank : angles, tangs , warsses,clown , anthias , damsels.

here is the food i use , Frozen :

Mysis Shrimp
Angel Formula
krill
clam
Silverside
Formula One
Mega-Marine Angel
Formula two

DRY:

Bluelagoon Premium fish food
Spectrum Thera-A: Anti-Parasite

Vitamin, Additives :

KENT MARINE C
Kent Garlic Xtreme
American Marine Selcon
Vita-Chem
Kent Zoecon

i mix all together add the additives, vitamins and the dry food . i keep it in small ziplock bags and freeze it . after 24 hour i have food ready for 3-4 weeks. i feed very heavy 2 time a day and add 2 sheet of seaweeds between . the fish eat it quick and what is left for the mandarine and the shrimps .