Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/03/2005, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

Frogspawn Fragging Question

I have 2 branching Frogspawns. One is getting quite large and is stinging a Monti Cap that started to grow into it. I know you can just cut off a branch on any LPS in order to frag them, but typically, the tissue is above the branch and you cut just below. In this case, the tissue of the Frogspawn has grown completely over the skeleton, and actually seems to be growing onto the rockwork that its mounted on. Do you remove it from the rockwork by tearing the tissue that has grown into the rock, and then just cut thru a branch tissue and all?
Old 10/04/2005, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

wow thats a tuffy. the tissue usually grows on the skeleton some but not all the way down to the rockwork. but id be hesitant to cut the tissue on a frogspawn as well. if it were me id either try and move the whole rock the frogspawn is on (or move the cap rock) or id go ahead and frag it anyways. if i were to frag it id probably use a new razor blade to make a clean cut through the tissue and then cut the exposed skeleton with bone cutters or a dremel. but id really try to find an alternate answer first
Old 10/04/2005, 09:24 PM
Yep, that's our sailfin!

i wouldnt cut that frogspawn tissue..... they seem delicate there

90g SPS Reef
our myReef is currently offline

Old 10/04/2005, 11:57 PM
Registered Member

The rock is too big to move. I'm more apt to let things be. It's only a 55 gal tank. The best solution would be to get a bigger tank. The odd thing about this is that both frogspawns have the same tissue growth. I know I can't be the only one whose had this happen. Must mean conditions in the tank are good.
Old 10/05/2005, 11:40 AM
Moved On

any pics?
Old 10/05/2005, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

I'll work on getting some posted.
Old 10/05/2005, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

move the monti?
Old 10/05/2005, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

No can do. It's growing onto all adjacent rockwork. I'd have to break it to move it.
Old 10/05/2005, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

When I frag my frogspawn I simply take a dremel to it and cut through skeleton and tissue. I have never had a problem doing this and the frogspawn has never seemed to care. As far as taking it off the rockwork I would be tempted to slowly work it loose from the rock.
Old 10/05/2005, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Top and bottom pics. You can see the Monti just behind it. I used the flash on the second pic so the tissue growth was more visible.

Old 10/06/2005, 12:59 AM
Registered Member

IMO, that little bit of tissue loss/damage shouldn't affect the overall coral. When I make my cuts with the dremel I simply cut through one of the branches like the one shown in the right picture where the tissue is located.
Old 10/06/2005, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

That branch you see going into the rock is the main stalk. But I see what you're talking about in terms of cutting the coral tissue and all. When I purchased the coral, the tissue was just at the end of the branches. I'm guessing this is normal for any LPS to cover as much of the skeleton as possible in order for it to grow. I'm beginning to like SPS more and more. Just snap it off wherever you want to prune it. Couldn't be any easier.