Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/01/2005, 07:55 AM
Registered Member

Angry dont you just hate photoshop?!

Just wanted to express my opinion as i see this sometimes on here. I really loose respect for people who go overboard photoshopping their zoos so they look SUPER great and all that!. (an example would be the zoos looking great but then coraline algale looks like its fourescing, or the sand is super white etc etc). I dont understand it. If you show your zoos, show em how they are, dont go screwing with hue/saturation or brightness/contrast in order to make them something theyre not, people would respect you much more for a true representation rather than watching flourescent coraline.

Sorry, but had to get it off my shoulders. I apologise to anyone who is not involved in this sorta stuff.
Old 10/01/2005, 08:41 AM
SPS Freak

It's not photoshop that is doign that to the sand. Depending on the amount of light and the lens, the sand can look even more white. On macro shots, my sand gets slightly more white but that is due to the amount of light. All I do in photoshop is unsharp mask to give it that extra focus and rarely lighten the picture up if I underexpose it. Or darken it if I overexpose.
Old 10/01/2005, 08:44 AM
Team RC Member

Most people, like me, just adjust the color balance and the auto contrats. I don't spend time doing anything else. Sometimes the curves.

ex:

before:

After:

Old 10/01/2005, 08:50 AM
why can't i love???

yes i do

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=631737
Old 10/01/2005, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

I have not adjusted any of the photos I have ever taken of stuff in my tank. But I can tell you that in most cases the resulting pictures are not an accurate representation of what I actually see when I am looking in my tank. So in some way's I belive one might be able to better represent what thay have if the photo is adjusted. JMHO
Old 10/01/2005, 09:14 AM
troublemaker

Working with Photoshop daily in my job, I find many people's photoshopping to be terrible, I agree.

It's a shame, as some amazing looking photos are photoshopped well [and shot well] ... and people try to match that with photoshop which just sticks out.

Leave the saturation alone, please!

I'm not even going to mention the photoshopping by online vendors ...
Old 10/01/2005, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

In my opinion, if people want to mis-represent their corals let them; the only stipulation being if you are selling the coral. Then a photograph that represents the actual coral is 100% necessary, but for day to day "Look at my Zoas" what difference does it really make? I adjust white balance and the levels in my photos to more accurately represent the coral because my camera isnt the greatest thing in the world and only has three presets for white balance - not great for photographing aquariums.

Just my opinion. I agree that the number if misrepresented corals being sold is unethical, and immoral however, for personal use or to show off, it shouldnt make a difference.
Old 10/01/2005, 07:22 PM
No Lorenzo in my Benzo

I am a serious offender of photoshop,BUT I am new at using a digital camera,therefore im new @ photoshop,I admit some of my photos are horrible,but im learning.I put all my photos here on R/C because this is where I want them to look good.Its a lot of trial & error.Sorry if my very novice skill has annoyed anyone.
Old 10/02/2005, 07:49 AM
Registered Member

its not more the novice skill, its more the "look at my great zoos" (after being screwed to the max in photoshop). I understand if youre photoshopping to make them more realistic, but i hate when pics go overboard and its so obvious the pic has been screwed with.

ill do a bit of photoshopping quickly to try show you what i mean.
Old 10/02/2005, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

just a quick exaple with a bad picture, couldnt be bothered mucking round too much, but you will get the idea.

heres the original.

heres the pic slightly photoshopped to be a more realistic representation.

and then you see these sorta things popup now and then which gets me going.
"you gotta see my new super cool zoas, these are under actinics and this is how they look, theyre so awsome! they look even better in real life but heres a quick pic!"
Old 10/02/2005, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

People's monitors are set up differently as well. I find I prefer my monitor settings at home really light. When I view my pictures on other computers they look SUPER DARK :P
Old 10/05/2005, 07:36 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Xtasia
People's monitors are set up differently as well. I find I prefer my monitor settings at home really light. When I view my pictures on other computers they look SUPER DARK :P
Straying off course just a bit but yes that is partly true. I've owned quite a few digital cameras now to know this. It's the equipment each individual uses that makes the images what they appear like online. Digital cameras, monitors and lighting all play their role in how the outcome of the image will look like. I've taken a great many photos that truly looks PS, but are not. Then there are ones I do need to use PS on just to get an accurate representation of how it looks in tank. Hate it or love it, people are going to continue to use PS. It's there, simple to use, so why not?

Another thing is each individuals perception of color is totally different. I know this because one of my friends has this problem and always gets suckered into buying zoanthids that are green and he thinks they are uber blue.
Old 10/06/2005, 08:03 AM
Registered Member

The only thing I do extra is after my pics are resized I hit the auto balance on my Microsoft Photo Editor. Sometimes it makes the pics clear up a little bit and sometime it make them worse. I don't use any misrepresentations when I post.