Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/18/2005, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

Baby Hippo Tang

I have seen very small Hippo Tangs at a LFS, maybe a little smaller than a quarter, and was wondering what you would feed them? Would they be harder to keep than a larger one?

Thanks,
Stephen
Old 09/18/2005, 07:28 PM
Jenifer Aniston -Not wife

I bought 3 when they where about size of a quarter (maybe just a little smaller). The two that have survived are about 4-5 inches long now (about 2 years+). They ate (and still do) just about anything--formula 1 and 2, nori, mysis shrimp, frozen plankton, chopped krill, ect.
Old 09/18/2005, 07:38 PM
Super Duper Member

very difficult to keep compared to a med one or in a new tank. definitely not a fit for a nano though.
Old 09/18/2005, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

i have 1 in my 24 gal nano, for about 2 months been feeding it brine, and pellets, shes happy and plays with all my other fish all the time...
Old 09/18/2005, 07:46 PM
Hobby Addict

he's not asking for opinions abut if he can keep one in his nano. so just stick to the question. just tired of reading everybody's opinions on tangs and tank sizes.
Old 09/18/2005, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GorillaReefer
he's not asking for opinions abut if he can keep one in his nano. so just stick to the question. just tired of reading everybody's opinions on tangs and tank sizes.
i dunno who your snapping at but, i assume it was me, and from the looks of my post i did answer his question, and stating my tank size was in no way related to the tang itself. and if your tired of reading about tangs and tank size then just dont read it.
Old 09/18/2005, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
He did answer the question, so there was really no reason for your reply to be the way you typed it. I think its very important to let people know about tang's and tank sizes. Many people want to fit a naso in a 50 gallon. Do you not see a problem with that? This website is to inform people of what they don't know, perhaps he knows he can keep the hippo for a bit then up grade later as his profile states but what about some one else reading the thread for info thinking he might be able to keep a hippo in a nano cube...its good advice if its meant for the original poster or not.
Old 09/18/2005, 09:30 PM
Hobby Addict

Everybody knows about Tangs and all I'm saying is that I'm sick of reading all you wannabe experts tell people what fish they can and can't keep in their tanks. People will buy and keep fish regardless what all you people say. If you read the question sbwood007 asked it did not mention anything about keeping a tang in a nano tank. Theres a way to give advise and straight out telling him "definitely not a fit for a nano though" is not the way to give advise. Next time ask where he's planning to keep him. I'm outta here you wannabe Tang Police are lame.
Old 09/18/2005, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to couse such a commotion. I have done some research of hippo tanks, and know that most people would not recommend keeping them in anything less than 4' long, or 75 gal or so. I was just wondering, when I see such a small fish if it was more difficult to keep. There is some intrigue to raise a baby fish to its maturity. Yes I do have a 12 gal nano, and I added the " planning 120 gal" in hopes to avoid this. I appreciate all the information given.

Stephen
Old 09/19/2005, 02:04 AM
Registered Member

SBwood, I've kept one that was smaller than my inch sized clownfish, even the firefish thought he had rights to bulling it, it was sooo tiny!... Like all fish, I think it really depends on the quality of the live stock and the condition it is in when you get it...

I've had two at that size at two points in my fish keeping career, nd I didn't find them difficult to keep. I think having algae for them to graze on in the tank is key.. as well as compatible tank mates.

On another note...
/Cheers Gorilla.
Old 09/19/2005, 03:02 AM
Registered Member

they love nori seaweed, formula 1&2, and also mysis. just make sure there aren't any bullies in your tank,.
Old 09/19/2005, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

if you can keep a small one alive for a week then you're good to go.

I unfortunatly went through 2 of them on my third now (knock on wood) for about a month now. lost them mostly due to my inexperience... 1st one got stuck to a 802 powerhead at night... 2nd one got killed by yellowtail damsel cus i forgot to turn off the light when adding in the tang

i feed a mix of frozen brine, nori, formula 1 pellets and flakes but he/she doesnt really like the flakes.

also eating nori for a small tang might need another tang to show it the way... that was the way with my tang
Old 09/19/2005, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

New to the Hobby!!!

Quote:
Everybody knows about Tangs
Not everyone think about it "New to the Hobby"