Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Greater Minnesota Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

Okay, so call me strange-I was thinking of setting up in my new house a bunch of 40 gallon breeders for growout frag and sale tanks. It wouldn't be a store persay, but... maybe its a start to put the idiot in bemidji out of business, and actually give the other pet store a run for his money.
Old 01/09/2008, 07:42 AM
Registered Member

if you had sps i would buy! I hate driving to the cities or shipping just to get coral.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:04 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Home_Depot
I agree with you 100% Ben I would love to give my LFS the money but he even told me he can't beat the prices of the online vendors.
I didn't mean to make it sound like they have to be inline with the on-line retailers, becasue due to volume, overhead, etc...they probably can't get there. What my main point was is really just LFS's can't make it look like they are out to bend you over and take all of your money for something that you can get online for 1/3 of the cost, after shipping.

For example, if I can get it for $35 shipped online, but I will have to pay $85+ at a LFS, I will get it online. BUT, if I can get it for around $50-$55 at a LFS, I will support them.

I think there is a HUGE portion of loyalty and understanding that comes with retail in general, especially when the consumer has become as educated as we are, and we know that we can get the same thing for less somewhere else.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

I agree with you I was going to get a clean up crew before I got my new tank and went in to the lfs and the stuff I wanted would have been about 130.00 and I could have got it on line with shipping from 75.00. but that changed since I got the new tank. I may go baak and talk to him and see if he can still get the stuff when I am ready.
Old 01/09/2008, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

went to saltwater empire today, they were still setting up but the two guys there were awesome, great prices!

I bought an three acan heads for $25 bucks and a frag of what I think are eagle eyes (oops what I just got from benihana too) for $20

oh I almost forgot
Came back to Iowa to find my male benghai with a mouth full of babies...our first litter of pups!!! Benghai's remind me a beagles for some reason....
Don't know if they'll make it but how exciting these two fish have only been together for about a month and a half!
Old 01/09/2008, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

sounds like a great trip...glad to hear you liked SWE...I think they will do really well here in the cities
Old 01/09/2008, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

wet world in eagan just south of ikea on cedar(77) on yankee doodle dr. it's not a bad place prices little higher but nicer stuff