Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Colorado Rocky Mountain Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2008, 01:39 PM
Premium Member

Question for construction expert in CO

We finally settled with a town house in Aurora. The house has 2 master bedrooms, it is pretty spacious for two a my baby (not the tank ). There is an area in the kitchen which is ok for the reef tank but it is going to be a tight fit. I have an 8f x 15x in the backyard which i plan to build a fish room/ new home for my two doggie . My question is:

Is it possible to get a permit to build a sunroon or patio?

Is it true that different rules apply for town house vs single house?

How much does it cost to build something like that?

By the way, i will be in Aurora in May....
Old 01/01/2008, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

permits through the city are fairly easy as long as you do the work and pass inspections.

town house may be a problem. if they have a hoa, which im sure they do then, they may have rules against additions. that may be impossible to get around. your realtor should have the info on any hoa you may be buying into. and if they are a good realtor they can get you the city info you need.

i wouldnt put the tank in a sunroom if that is what you are planning. however if you are building an entire addition i would consider the solar tube lights(natural lighting). cant remember the company name but there are threads on rc somewhere about it.
Old 01/01/2008, 02:11 PM
Premium Member

That is the Main reason for my reef tank to sit outside . I want to get a large solar tube to cover the entire tank . Well the house has HOA. So HOA has it own rules and regulation. Will it be different in other city or county? I was going to get a single home but the wife is pregnant. She will be out of work for a year or so. I don't want to stuck with something with a large monthly payment. Therefore we settled with a town home....
Old 01/01/2008, 04:08 PM
Boomer gave me this

I think townhome HOA's can be tough to deal with.
Some people refer to them as Housing Nazi's, I would ask to speak with the HOA president (they usually live on site) and see what they say.
It may not be a big deal.
Every HOA is going to be different, it really depends on the HOA board members that are running it at any given time. Think of it like any other club in the world really.
C
Old 01/01/2008, 04:25 PM
Premium Member

All HOA's are different but they all have planning and building committees. The problem with condominiums and townhomes are that you own whatever is within the walls of your unit. Everything inside the walls as well as outside are community property sbject to the community bylaws. Usually they will not let you build on what you don't own. However, there are a few exceptions. When you purchased your home you should have got a copy of the HOA bylaws that the sellers agent should have provided under the CIC document deadline in your purchase conract. Those Association documents should tell you if you can or can't, as well as how to go about with proceedures in getting this sunroom built.
You will have to get the HOA approval before you get a building permit. Two seperate issues.
Old 01/01/2008, 04:42 PM
Premium Member

OMG... I will take a trip to CO in March to check out the place and may talk to the HOA to see what my option is. If i can't build a sunroom, i may ended resize my tank and stick it inside the house. I have never own a house before so HOA is totally new to me, do HOA ever come to your house to inspect? If so, I may find myself in trouble. I hate to have people coming over and inspect my living quarter . If the wife was pregnant, i should be able to buy a single home with basement.... This is become a headache...

Christ, how do you like the 1000watter? I plan to run 3 in my new setup with couple spot light.... What do you think?
Old 01/01/2008, 05:21 PM
Premium Member

No, HOA's have no business in your home. Usually you will need to submit plans with your request and they may come out to look at the area to see if it will conform. They are there for the community intrests and to help keep your property values up. That is why they govern everything outside of your house in public view. They can also be a PITA!
I wouldn't wait until March. You can get the documents at any time. They are accessible to the public. Almost all HOA's also have websites. Some have the documents online but they will all have the Board members names and ph# listed. The trend nowdays are properties/developments using HOA management companies. Those are not live onsite board members.

There are townhomes available with basements. Just have your agent search for them. IMO a detached single family home is always better than a attached unit. But it depends on your needs and budget. With the market like it is you can get some pretty sweet deals.
Old 01/01/2008, 05:30 PM
Boomer gave me this

I think the market is pretty favorable to buyers right now, I'd look at a single family home as well. Seems like we all have to deal with an HOA or covenant control of some sort, and they all are different so shopping around and driving through neighborhoods is a good way to see what gets controlled and what isn't.

BTW I love the 1K's it was much cheaper to do 3 1K's then 6 400's.

C
Old 01/01/2008, 10:42 PM
Premium Member

I will keep that in mind. My original plan was 250K single home but my wife got pregnant "Oooops". So that dream is gone, her uncle offer his town house fairly new (6yrs old) for 150K 1300 square feet with two master bedroom, 2 cars garage. I may stay in that house for couple years till the wife is back to work then look for another house in the future. IMO, 1300 square feet is pretty spacious for a family of 3 and two little monsters (Dogs). Just my reef tank may be an issue. I will take a trip to Aurora in March to take a look at the house and figure out where i want to put the tank. I may have to adjust the length of the tank a little. According to her uncle, i have a space of 7x5 for the tank. I will keep you all update
Old 01/02/2008, 01:29 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

How big is the tank? I'd be making sure the area for the tank was on the concrete floor rather than upstairs.

150 for a 1300 SF isn't bad if it is in a decent area. You have any idea of the basic area where it's at?
Old 01/02/2008, 01:55 AM
Premium Member

I'll get the address tomorrow. It is in Aurora area, something Cherry Creeks district. Sound familiar? According to him and the Boss (wife) the house in a very good area.

The tank is not going up stair. It is 8x4x2. But i may have to adjust the size a little due to the size of the new home...

Last edited by Jar*Head; 01/02/2008 at 02:31 AM.
Old 01/02/2008, 02:41 AM
Registered Member

You should buy my neighbors house..
2 bed + study 1158 sq ft.. asking $205,000 HOA is $60 a mo and included garbage service and pool
It's been on the market for months and I'm sure they will make a deal.

It would be nice to have a reefer next door

It a post tension slab on grade single story so you could put any size tank anywhere in the house.

PM me for the MLS if you are interested
Old 01/02/2008, 02:45 AM
Premium Member

205K is way over my budget at this point due to the fact the wife will be out of work for a year or two. Thank you for the information. I am looking forward to meet you all when i arrive in Aurora.
Old 01/02/2008, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

Just curious.. how much is the Townhouse getting for HOA dues?
Old 01/02/2008, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

That i have to find out...
Old 01/02/2008, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

Damn it seems like it is cheap to live out there. I just have to add my little rant about HOA.

I live in CA (it seems you do now as well) and my god I want to eradicate my HOA. For one, we can only park ONE car on the street WITH a parking pass, anything else and it will get towed, no doubt the same night. I cant even park in front of my own damn house!!! I even saw my neighbors truck get towed from in front of his garage! haha, he must have fell asleep and forgot about it.

My point is, make sure you can live comfortably within your HOA BEFORE you buy a house.

If it wasnt for the view/location I would be out.

The Red House = My Tank Thread

Livestock: A. Ocellaris Mated Pair, Six Line Wrasse, Lemonpeel Angel, Fiji Golden Sailfin Blenny, Purple Firefish Mated Pair.
Old 01/02/2008, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

I'd love to be rid of my HOA but I guess they could be worse.
Anything I do outside (plants, decks, play fort for the kids) has to get an HOA approval.

My Sister lives in a Condo in Washington.. They pay $300 a month to the HOA.
Old 01/02/2008, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

Are you guy serious? Oh my... That is worse than live on base. I hope my HOA aren't such PITA....
Old 01/02/2008, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Yes HOA's can be harsh sometimes but they also protect the look of your neighborhood and help with the value of homes.

It is finding a great house with a middle of the road HOA.
Old 01/02/2008, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

Most of the HOA's in colorado around townhouses are pretty bad. I was able to afford quite a bit more house payment once you add in the HOA fees, and I own the house, Really use caution when looking at a place with them, and also look at what is going on in the HOA currently. When I was looking for instance, I found several townhouses in 1 community that were pretty cheap, and had it not been for an old lady living there I would have been hit with a $11,000, yes I typed that correctly, hoa surcharge the first month because of new stucco that was put on the buildings. Huge scam, and if you refused to pay they lein your house and can actually forclose on it. The horror stories of HOAs in this state could keep you reading for months!
Old 01/02/2008, 05:29 PM
Premium Member

Now i am scare . Why are they so powerful anyway? Are they belong to the Fed, State, County or City?
Old 01/02/2008, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

usually city, but they can also override City and county codes, and make their own rules. They are very dicey, my HOA when I moved in, was being fought because of several different reasons. In a very rare case our HOA was deemed illigamate and made voluntary, but that was one of the only cases in Colorado History that turned out that was. The judges are very HOA frendly here and usually side with the HOA's no matter what the fight is. Check and then double check the bilaws and read everything, including rate increases, what they do and don't cover, HOA surcharges IE new roof because of hail, new paint, new stucco, etc. most times they are excluded and hit each homeowner with a huge surcharge to get stuff done. Another example that I have is of a friend that was hit with 5500 worth of new roofing because the old one had been on for 10yrs. She had lived in her place 6 months, and had to pay it, and then to make matters worse it leaked and destroyed her new hardwood floor, and the HOA refused to do anything for it because it was damage to the inside of the house. Her Insurance had to cover it and then her rates went up, because of the claim, and none of it was her fault that battle was also lost in court, they sided with the HOA. Can you tell that I hate the HOA's? also check the tom martino www site for tons of info on HOA's People fight them everyday and lose here in this state....as close to modern day Nazi's as it gets!
Old 01/02/2008, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

I was in a HOA ONCE. Every place that I bought since, I make sure there is no HOA. Too much power in the hands of a few power mad people. The city of Arvada has city ordinances that keep the Clampitts from parking jelopies on yards etc. That's as close to an HOA as I want to get.
Old 01/02/2008, 06:17 PM
Premium Member

Now i am affraid to own a house. I better do some research before i find myself in deep doodoo.
Old 01/02/2008, 06:23 PM
Boomer gave me this

Another thing is lets say the complex has a failing water, sewer system and it needs a couple hundred thousand dollars to fix it. Guess who pays that! You do, they jack up the rates.
I really am a fan of owning your own place. I mean if you are paying $1,500 a month for something you should have the right to do things without having to ask Hitler if it's ok.
I own a house and I made sure to read the covenants and make sure there are no dues or anything wrote into them.

It's a buyers market out here Steve so don't jump into anything too fast, theres tons of good places out there, you just need a good realtor and shop online yourself a lot.
C