Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Colorado Rocky Mountain Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy Sad Day

woke up to my 40 gallon tank having 6 inches of foam on the top the heater broke and took the water to 136 degrees all my corals and fish inverst urchins are now dead the fish were i think actually cooked make sure you use a good heater so you dont expierience this folks as it really sux sigh.....

Just cause you think it looks pretty does NOT mean you can put it in my tank!
Old 01/07/2008, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

Sorry for the loss at least there was no other damage!
Let me know if you need some frags once its up and going again!
Old 01/07/2008, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear it Luke. It would seem its not a good start for the hobby in the new year
Old 01/07/2008, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

wow, that sucks to hear.
What kind of heater was it?
Old 01/07/2008, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

luke,
I still have all of the frags from our shared tanks so let me know when you rebuild, I will give you what I have!
Old 01/07/2008, 07:47 PM
Premium Member

Sorry to hear.

I had a similar incident.

I had a blue throat trigger in QT for 2-1/2 weeks.

As it was getting time to move him to the display, I realized the QT heater was stuck at 76-77 when my display was running 80. I got a new (cheap) heater from PetsM.... and hooked it up AND tested it .... It worked fine in the evening, so I installed it on the QT to bring the BTrig temp up to the displa temp..

Next day, the tank had hit 106 & killed the trigger!

I tested the heater again and it wouldnt turn off on the lowest setting in 100 deg water!.

Just shows.... you get what you pay for, AND if it's good enough & has worked for years...... Dont F&%$ with it!

Stu
Old 01/07/2008, 08:05 PM
Boomer gave me this

Bummer man, I have heard of this happening before.
I pulled my heater a while back so it doesn't happen to me.
Sorry to hear it, it's always the cheapest smallest things that causes the most problems huh?
C
Old 01/07/2008, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

I had my cheap heater fail recently and almost burned my house down when the acrylic sump caught on fire. I immediately went out and spent $75 on the best heater I could find. Well worth the money.
Old 01/07/2008, 10:37 PM
Mutiny on the Bounty!

It happens too often. I thought it was all gone. 60 degrees for how many days... No flow, all the fish/crabs and snails dead... Now, 3 months later some of the corals are showing signs of life... Hard to believe...

I hope you have better luck in the future. The tank still holds water!

How did I grow those? I used Aiptasia heaven!
Old 01/08/2008, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

I am sorry to hear about your tank. That is why I swear by my 18 year old Ebo-Jager. It has never let me down...yet.
Bill
Old 01/08/2008, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

What kind of heater did you have? I have a Via Aqua Titanium that works great! I had two cheap Renas that would over heat my tank, would never get one of those again.
Old 01/08/2008, 06:51 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Bummer,
Old 01/09/2008, 02:18 AM
Reefkeeper-Philologist

It's heartbreaking. I've never had anything that bad. But yesterday one of my powerheads started clicking and shivering. Oh no. I turned it off, and (for the benefit of my small son) didn't mention the little pieces of tissue that I saw in the water (later made clear he saw them, too, and thought they were part of a shrimp). When I got the pump apart I found the dead body of the sea hare I got two weeks ago inside. INSIDE. Now, I had screened off the intake very carefully. The one I KNEW about.

The pump had a small (but unfortunately wide) slot off to the side, which I never noticed. He must have wandered into that vicinity and was sucked right in.

Then when I informed my son he got confused and thought I was talking about one of the new seahorses, so he was really broken up. He was relieved when we figured it out. Still very sad, but a sea hare is not quite as lovable as a seahorse, I guess (perhaps not too much different from the gap between the lovability of a hare and a horse).

There is always sadness associated with pet ownership (until we start keeping pets that are lower maintenance and longer lived than we are, I guess...).

Sorry again for your losses.

Brad

M. Porcius Cato, Rome, 2nd Century BCE
Old 01/09/2008, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

yes it sux all the zoos are closed up and have turned clear and are disolving, all my starpolyps have bleached and developed white stuff on them and my toadstool turned to mush all the mushrooms and 3 diff type of xenias gooified as i didnt see any part of them when tearing down the tank i have the rock re-cycling in another tank at the moment so i will start to rebuild here in a couple weeks and yes the heater was 45 bucks a petsmart but i think everything they sell is junk

Just cause you think it looks pretty does NOT mean you can put it in my tank!
Old 01/09/2008, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

but what kind of heater was it?