Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are we out of line
Yes, and it does bother me 11 18.03%
Yes, and no it doesn't bother me 19 31.15%
No 24 39.34%
Maybe 7 11.48%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02/10/2005, 03:09 PM
Moved In

Do we go too far?

In light of the feedback forum post, are we all out of line? This is serious for posters who don't participate in our innuendos.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 02/10/2005, 03:26 PM
Reefer

The standard for "family board" is quite subjective. But I do feel that have been failures that went (publicly) unchallenged, both from moderators and regular members.

In all fairness, this has to be the most difficult of topics to moderate.
Old 02/10/2005, 03:26 PM
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper

I'm guessing you mean "out of line" with some posts and replies references to adult themed ideas?? If so then even disney and other so called childerns movies and cartoons, make references to adult concepts and ideas.....they usually go over the kids heads but not always.....Shrek would be one I'd point out

with respect for this board being "family friendly" I try to be sensitve to not only kids but adults that may be offended, by comments.......On the contrary I believe most of us come to the lounge to lighten up a little, just like a real lounge which those under 21 are not allowed......JMO and will continue to take mind of others...
Old 02/10/2005, 03:32 PM
Moved In

Well I didn't vote as I know I'm part of the guilty parties sort of. I look at it like, if I'm not afraid to let Dan see what I'm posting, I'm ok. Even tho I don't like polls, I thought it would give some a chance to vote without having to participate in a conversation. We all know how those can turn out.

Old 02/10/2005, 03:34 PM
Guardian of Little People

Excellent comments Pete and reelfreak. As someone who has crossed the line I am sure, my impartiality on this subject is questionable at best. I truly value everyone's input.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 02/10/2005, 03:40 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

I was going to post this in the feedback thread, but I'll just post it here. The way I see it the treads only appear "dirty" if you know the innuendo behind it. If you don't know the "dirty" behind it its just going to be over your head...

-Dino-

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 02/10/2005, 03:43 PM
Queen Supreme multitasker

I think it is funny, but I am 35 and my kids are too young to be on the internet.

If they were 13 and reading some of this stuff I might feel a bit peeved.

I do think the overboard stuff is pretty rare and still fairly tame. Honestly it doesn't offend me, but I am pretty hard to offend. I am looking at it from an adult view

IF I look at it from a parent's view, my opinion changes a little

I think the "woody" thread has its toe touching the line. Yes it is "shrekesque" but the double entendre is fairly plain

Money can't buy happiness, but neither can poverty.
- Leo Rosten
Old 02/10/2005, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

I usually try not to make innuendo references and such mostly because I'm concerened someone won't get my joke and I'll look dumb. My Avatar is about as far as I feel going.

Although, I did once miss my turn and drove too far.

AKA *Harley Swingwood*
Old 02/10/2005, 03:49 PM
Moved On

a sence of humor is a must weather in a Brick and Mortor Lounge or a online one such as this.

as far as the "woody" post goes - the first thing I thought when seeing the subject was about the vehicle everyone calls a woody.

If You are looking for something dirty and in bad taste you'll find it, just about anywhere. I wish people would just enjoy the lounge for what it is and quit LOOKING for things that offend them or could offend someone else. The woody topic was fine - It was someone elses dirty mind that turned it to a bad thing.
Old 02/10/2005, 03:56 PM
Seamonkey on my back

any way to drop the lounge posts from the get new and get daily
searches? that way if any posts are seen, they had to come to
the lounge to see them & whatever they see, it was their decision
to see it.

besides, you can't cross the line Brian. your the one who shows us where it is

Rick
Old 02/10/2005, 04:02 PM
Premium Member

I think the Cartoon Network goes further, or is that farther?

Seriously, I'm from the school of "if you're offended by visiting someplace that is objectionable to you, then don't visit that place".
Old 02/10/2005, 04:04 PM
Moved In

I don't want to rag anyone out for being offended, it is everyones right. I know there are posts that I really find offensive, I just choose not to read them, as it's obvious that someone likes the subject by the amount of participants.

Old 02/10/2005, 04:09 PM

I don't let my kids watch the cartoon network. Well, I allow my son to watch Ninja turtles as he is obsessed with them. There are parts of it that make me cringe. The cartoon network in the evening is for adults only. Most of their shows are way over the line for kids(even in the daytime)

It was an honest question asked, and I answered it honestly. I, personally, find most things funny. It would be dishonest to say that the "Look at my woody" thread have no inuendo to it. That is what made it funny. It isn't having a dirty mind, it is getting the joke. Most 13 year old would. Especially the boys. I was a dumb 13 year old and probably would have been in the minority who didn't get it

- Leo Rosten
Old 02/10/2005, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
I don't want to rag anyone out for being offended
Nor do I.

Old 02/10/2005, 04:11 PM
Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by Scooter64
Seriously, I'm from the school of "if you're offended by visiting someplace that is objectionable to you, then don't visit that place".
Do you think the young members here are offended? It's likely the parents that would be offended by their kids participating in these kinds of threads. You must understand that this is about keeping the place family-friendly to retain the hobby's future. If this place was adult-only, your comment would make sense and this thread wouldn't even exist.
Old 02/10/2005, 04:13 PM
Seamonkey on my back

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
I know there are posts that I really find offensive, I just choose not to read them,

VOILA' !!

Rick
Old 02/10/2005, 04:15 PM

Yes, we want the Lounge to be family-friendly. I am sure I have crossed the line from vague innuendo to hit-you-over-the-head juvenile humor. I am sure it doesn't hurt to be reminded of this from time to time.

Old 02/10/2005, 04:15 PM

Please, don't misunderstand what Pete is saying.

Old 02/10/2005, 04:19 PM
m0delgator

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianD
Yes, we want the Lounge to be family-friendly. I am sure I have crossed the line from vague innuendo to hit-you-over-the-head juvenile humor. I am sure it doesn't hurt to be reminded of this from time to time.
I am sure I cross it often as well. Honestly, if I was posting something that offended someone, I really hope that they'd let me know. Similarly, if I posted something that the moderators/staff were not happy with, I really hope they'd let me know too.

After all, I'm not really a whimsy annoying jerk, I just play one on the internet.
Old 02/10/2005, 04:20 PM

"whimsy"?

Old 02/10/2005, 04:22 PM
m0delgator

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=whimsy

Odd, fanciful, quaint, impulsive, frivolity.
Old 02/10/2005, 04:22 PM
Moved On

cartoon network is over the line for children that is why parents should moniter what their child is doing/reading/watching.

Rating this Lounge as PG-13 in perfectly acceptable - If you are a parent that doesnt want your child exposed to humor within the PG-13 catagory then you should moniter your childs use of computer/ TV.

keep in mind - PG-13 movies - typically have a few mild uses of profanity - and commonly use jokes that are questionable for younger audiances. Thus PG-13 - PARENTAL GUIDANCE SUGGESTED FOR CHILDREN UNDER 13.
Old 02/10/2005, 04:27 PM

Sierra, think of it as a parent whose child looks at a fish site. If I was not on this site, it would look perfectly innocent(and is). Do you really think a 12 year old will police themselves from the adult humor??

This *is* a family site. It is NOT a PG 13 site. You can't take a part of it and turn it into a PG 13 site because you like the humor. That is unfair to the parents of the younger kids on here, which I am sure there are many

As a parent I would appreciate it staying clean. As an adult, I appreciate the humor. My desire for it to be clean for the minority of minors trumps my desire for adult humor

Brian D, I am not cracking on you or anyone in particular. I am mainly being theorectical

I assure you, I monitor everything my kids watch. I don't take them to places that are inappropriate or let them be around kids that are rough. I don't swear in front of them and they are very good kids

- Leo Rosten
Old 02/10/2005, 04:32 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by llpoolej
Sierra, think of it as a parent whose child looks at a fish site. If I was not on this site, it would look perfectly innocent(and is). Do you really think a 12 year old will police themselves from the adult humor??

This *is* a family site. It is NOT a PG 13 site. You can't take a part of it and turn it into a PG 13 site because you like the humor. That is unfair to the parents of the younger kids on here, which I am sure there are many

As a parent I would appreciate it staying clean. As an adult, I appreciate the humor. My desire for it to be clean for the minority of minors trumps my desire for adult humor
well a Moderator informed me directly at one point that the humor should be kept at a PG-13 level.

I did not just decide PG-13 was the rating - I was TOLD.

I may even be able to dig up that old PM somewhere If You want to see it.
Old 02/10/2005, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by llpoolej

Brian D, I am not cracking on you or anyone in particular. I am mainly being theorectical
Don't worry, Julie, your comments are appreciated. You are not going to hurt my feelings or cause any ill will for speaking your mind. If I was so thin-skinned people people were afraid to speak their minds, I would be no good to the Lounge or the board. I understand the spirit in which the counsel is offered.

Brian