Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/21/2007, 07:17 PM
TRC Leader

I agree it isn't a great solution, but many of us do what we can to fix our tanks to keep the livestock safe, and this is a working solution.

Additionally, after I posted it I thought it could be the intake to a huge closed loop.
Old 12/21/2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mdrumm
why not? I am sure you could sell your vortechs on the RC used equip forum and buy tunze. I may even buy one if you are interested in selling.
Tunze are ugly.
Old 12/21/2007, 07:23 PM
One Millionth Poster

Wow seeing the full shot is heart breaking. And hearing the whole story is aggravating. If they personally told you to do such and such and you did it and that happened, in my opinion they owe you a tank.
Old 12/21/2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I agree it isn't a great solution, but many of us do what we can to fix our tanks to keep the livestock safe, and this is a working solution.

Additionally, after I posted it I thought it could be the intake to a huge closed loop.
I have thought about that too, but I dont really want closed loops. That's why I spent so much energy on the Vortechs. But again, that is a possiblity.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev

Imagine the flow you could generate Shame it's not a practical location.
Premium Member

Quote:
Tunze are ugly.
I ll agree with you there, jnarowe
Old 12/21/2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
jnarowe, you have all your friends posting here bashing ectoech by offering their opinions. Trigger is actually presented facts on here. Granted, it is not what you want to hear, but it is facts nonetheless.
Fact? I think I am the only one in possession of the facts. I think all other posters in this thread are only assuming whatever "facts" they want to present.

Quote:
Ectotech has created a revolutionary product. The WWD is amazing. Trigger, I am guessing like myself, is trying to state the other side of the argument
No doubt...the other side of the arguement. Where we having an argument, or were you telling readers how my tank caused itself to craze?

...and revolutionary product? Have you seen how many wires are on this wireless product? Have you tried to set it to run in more than one mode automatically?

The Vortech is indeed a step in the direction of advancing our hobby, but to call the WWD revolutionary is a bit over-kill.

BTW, I had one more interesting thought: Could it be that the pressure is greater at depth in my tank, and that is creating resistance and pressure on the propellor assembly itself, and causing over-heating? Well no, since it only happened with one pump!
Old 12/21/2007, 07:32 PM
Premium Member

jonathon-

its seems so many problems in this hobby are due to faulty equipment and not inexperienced reef keepers. i know how you feel ab tunzes (heard it a thousand times ) but when do you think you'll cut your losses, sell those vortechs and either get a few tunzes or a closed loop? it sucks investing so much money into something only to see it fail.

i sympathize with you man....

marcus
Old 12/21/2007, 07:36 PM
TRC Leader

And if you do get Tunze, I would not recommend a wave box on that tank. When those came out, Tunze warned their customers that it would reduce the lifespan of the tank by 20%.

Considering how old your tank apparently is, and that it isn't built more ruggedly with thicker material, you'd probably have way bigger issues than currently.
Old 12/21/2007, 07:48 PM

Thanks Marcus.

And Marc, I have been discussing this with Roger for the past few days. IF I do a temporary repair on this tank, then I will scab on a wavebox for testing purposes. Then I will build a new tank with just that in mind. Roger has stated that the tank should be one size up from currently recognized specs. so that would put my tank into the 1.25 - 1.5" arena.

Maybe a Manta CL with Wavy Seas?
Old 12/21/2007, 07:51 PM

This BTW is a mockup of what a tank with built-in wave boxes would look like from the front, sans aquascape:

The standard wavebox on an 8' tank produces a net flow of about 15,000 gph.
Old 12/21/2007, 07:51 PM
Premium Member

jnarowe,

Like all reefers, I read that you have flooded your tank room on occasion. Any chance water may half damaged the dry components and cause the pump to malfunction?
Old 12/21/2007, 07:52 PM
TRC Leader

If you are getting a new tank, get one that is coralline-resistant. You might as well do it right, right from the start.
Old 12/21/2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
jnarowe,

Like all reefers, I read that you have flooded your tank room on occasion. Any chance water may half damaged the dry components and cause the pump to malfunction?
That's an interesting question...sort of out-of-the-blue eh? The pumps are well off the floor if that is what you mean. I have had a couple of them get some SW on them, but not in a manner that affected their performance, and not this particular pump. It is a curious question though. I wonder how that came into your head?

Marc, yeah well, Sherman and I were discussing the practicality of installing a low-iron pane where this affected pane is. What we discussed was whether or not the tank could be drained and the majority of the acrylic be cut out, leaving a large lip to seat a Starfire pane to from the inside.

I need to talk to some manufacturers about hybrid tanks. I know James said he had not done one yet, but I do know there are low-iron tanks with PVC bottoms and acrylic bracing. It's worth investigating.
Old 12/21/2007, 08:03 PM
Premium Member

jnarowe

as an owner of 4 vortech pumps I am just trying to figure what happened by researching on your thread. I appreciate your comments regarding your situation. I am only offering my opinion and not claiming to be an expert of anything.
Old 12/21/2007, 08:23 PM
Premium Member

jonathon- talk to dudester about his hybrid tank. it kicks [violation]. he got it from brian and john at kingfish. they deal AGE tanks...

Last edited by Nanook; 12/21/2007 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12/21/2007, 08:38 PM

thanks for that tip...sorry the mods got on you dude...
Old 12/21/2007, 08:43 PM

And their was a comment earlier about my "friends bashing Eco-Tech" that has been bothering me for a while. First of all, they have shown marked restraint. They know it's not in my best interest to bash Eco-Tech, and they know full well my experiences with the Vortech.

And just to clarify, we are talking about Gabriel and Barry, both who have absolutely splendid reefs and are well respected for it.

Dahn Nguyen, a master of mods and responsible for many of the mods we reef keepers build all the time. He turned my Tunze Nano from a total piece of garbage into a very high performace reliable powerhead. He is the flash pont of the Maxi-Jet mod and here's a pic of the Reef Blower he created for me:

And we are talking about Sherman, a veritable guru on the subject of pumps and skimmers, having built and modded skimmers long before most people were even in the hobby.

And we're talking about Steve Weast, you know the guy right? One of the primary inspirations for many, many reef enthusiasts right? One of the premier reef keepers in the world having incredible practical reef keeping sense and the nads to build stunning cold water tanks in his equipment room as an experiment...

Here's a pic in case you can't remember:

Then there's others like Steve the plumber, Kent E, and Chris Wright, none of whom I know personally, but all decent reef keepers IME.

And really, their statements have either been based on personal knowledge of my system, or their own feelings about dealing with a catastrophic situation. Eco-Tech has taken very little flack so far considering the potential. And I mentioned this in my own thread, rather than starting another one in a more prominent place, out of respect for Eco-Tech.

This thread is how I communicate with those reef keepers I enjoy the company of. If there was bashing going on, it would be in a different forum.
Old 12/21/2007, 09:00 PM
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
sorry the mods got on you dude...
That's quite alright as it's my job

"The wind blew, the detritus flew and then they came two by two."
Old 12/21/2007, 09:09 PM
Premium Member

For the record, I still really like the Vortech pumps.

Jonathan's situation is unique in a lot of respects. Please remember he had communicated with Eco Tech about his tank and it's dimensions before he purchased a single pump from them. At this point Jonathan and Eco Tech are negotiating an amicable solution they both agree upon. I apologize if I came across as a basher.
Old 12/21/2007, 09:15 PM
I am a super nose picker

I wouldn't even call this bashing I would say that no matter what if it was me and my tank I would be very upset.I don't know how much money Jonathan has spent on his system,but after being in the hobby for several year and given his size tank I would have no doubt that he has spent well over 50k on this tank and its inhabitants,plus never mind the monthly cost of keeping it going and the years and time spent on it.Everyone on this forum has a large tank and knows for a fact this isn't a cheap hobby.If someone spends there hard earned money to buy a product and then that product doesn't work the way its supposed to as a consumer who bought that said product would you not be disappointed.I am not talking just about a $300 plus pump.Its not cheap an considering the amount of money you are spending I would be outraged.Especially if it was to damage my tank.Now do I go out and buy one?No I wouldn't and I was going to buy 2 of them but luckily I read this thread and thank god I didn't buy them.Call me a basher or call it playing safe.I don't know about you but when was the last time you took 10 grand and held it over a burning fire and said lets see if I can play with fire.I my self have spent to much on my tank(witch I am no where near finished) to risk it on a pump.Just the thought of restarting everything is I nightmare.I already had that stupid silicone problem that basically wanted to throw in the towel and cut my loses.I can't imagine having to think about replacing a 1000 gal plus tank.It would be nice for ecotech to pay for a new tank and hire people to move the old stuff out,replace the tank,refill it and place all the livestock back.There is no way they would agree to do this.this is why 18 months later he is still where he is at today.I don't think they will ever say they are at fault.You would have to have more people with the same problem witch I hope doesn't happen.Don't get me wrong I like Jonathan and all.I feel bad for him but I also wouldn't want to see other people go threw this just so that the company can turn around and admit there is a problem with the product.Its easy to say that I am bashing the company but you wouldn't feel that way if it was you.I told Jonathan before I don't know how he has been so patient.I also said if it was me I couldn't sleep at night.Yes this is something more than just a tank problem.On a personal level someone could become ill from the stress of all that water just waiting to let go or to hold up.No one knows how long his tank will last but at this point he has no choice but to change it(thats if he can afford to do so) or just wait it out.I ask you in his position what would you do?Would you be as polite as he is?Would you [violation] and complain?Would you threaten to sue?He has been pretty nice about this,in fact I think to nice.I wouldn't have been this polite with them on the phone.Than again I am not such a nice guy.

Let's not trick the profanity censor.

Last edited by Nanook; 12/21/2007 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12/21/2007, 09:19 PM
Parrot head

Quote:
Originally posted by sherm71tank
For the record, I still really like the Vortech pumps.

Jonathan's situation is unique in a lot of respects. Please remember he had communicated with Eco Tech about his tank and it's dimensions before he purchased a single pump from them. At this point Jonathan and Eco Tech are negotiating an amicable solution they both agree upon. I apologize if I came across as a basher.
and I as well. I have 4 of them and am very happy. I too designed my system around them in the very early stages but my system is glass. I've had a few hiccups which is to be expected with any new technology. The problems were resolved very quickly and above my expectations. I recommend them all the time, just not sure with what's going on I could in good conscience refer them to someone with an acrylic tank.
Old 12/21/2007, 09:35 PM
I am a super nose picker

Jonathan is paying me to support his cause.We will take this all the way to there doorstep.I already made the signs and we are going to have a road trip to ecotech's doorstep where we will picket them and stage a hunger strike.Jonathan is overweight so he needs to lose a few pounds.
Old 12/21/2007, 09:37 PM

Well, I got too bent so I made dinner...man-wiches for me and my son. Fresh Bockwurst cooked in Goulden Caroulus Grand Cru, then sauteed with red onions, red peppers, garlic and olive oli. Topped with raclette and mozzarella, and toasted under a broiler.
UUUURP

How could I ever be over-weight Steve???
Old 12/21/2007, 09:45 PM
Will work 4 corals

Dude! I just finished diner and you made me hungry!

So shoot me!