Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Middle Tennessee Reef Club (MTRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/24/2007, 05:22 PM
How many fish can I kill?

Cheato Cleaning??

I have noticed a lot of detritus building up in my cheato. Does anyone ever clean their cheato? If so how? Thanks Chris

Nano: 2 Black Ocellaris Clowns
Old 12/24/2007, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

When I had a tank and was running cheato (great stuff, I might add!) I did my culling and leaning of cheato when I did my water changes. I kept the old water in a bucket, and simply vigorously shook out the cheato in this before I dumped the old water. That way you don't re-release all that poop in the tank.

Best of luck and have fun!
Old 12/25/2007, 03:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by musicman
When I had a tank and was running cheato (great stuff, I might add!) I did my culling and leaning of cheato when I did my water changes. I kept the old water in a bucket, and simply vigorously shook out the cheato in this before I dumped the old water. That way you don't re-release all that poop in the tank.

Best of luck and have fun!
That's exactly what I do when I do water changes......
Old 12/25/2007, 10:52 AM
New Aquatronica Fan

That is exactly what I'm going to START doing.

Brandon
Old 12/25/2007, 11:12 AM
Troll

Don't you lose a lot of pods, worms, and starfish doing that?
Old 12/25/2007, 11:34 AM
New Aquatronica Fan

Hmmm... thats a pretty good point. I would think pods more than anything, tho.

I guess I may give it a try and just see what all comes out. Just catch back what I want to keep.

Brandon
Old 12/25/2007, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

Well yea, but everything's a trade off. You lose tons of pods, etc when you toss out a lump of cheato, too. I kept about 2" of 1-2" jagged rocks in an area of my fuge, and there were always PLENTY of pods to feed whatever was in my tank. Losing 2-3% by cleaning out my cheato didn't really bother me.
Old 12/25/2007, 08:02 PM
Ryan Steagall

When trimming my cheato... I pick out every single pod by hand.

Just kidding :O

I do however try to pick out every micro serpent star and throw it back in my tank I started with like 5 stars that I got from fishdoc about 2 years ago. No telling how many I have now.... but its a bunch. I like those little things. And lord knows I have enough hair algae for them to live in!
Old 12/26/2007, 12:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by H@rry
Don't you lose a lot of pods, worms, and starfish doing that?
You rather have a dirty ball of chaeto where your phosphates builds up or you want a clean chaeto where's there's no detritus on it? That's the way you have to look at it.