Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers

Old 11/08/2006, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

I used to have the same problem, where my xenia would sometimes crash. I had better luck with them as my tank matured, and before too long they covered most of the glass.
What I do now is give small frags to friends for their reefs. That way, if you kill off some of yours you can always go back and get more from your buddies tank. It worked for me.
Old 11/09/2006, 03:27 AM
Premium Member

James, about how long do you mean when you say your tank has "matured"? good point, I wonder if anyone had succes with xenia in a new tank. Mine was less than a year old.

parameters:
78-79F
alk 7dKH
sg 1.026
pH 8.2
phosphate 0
ammonia 0
nitrate 0
calcium 400
Old 11/09/2006, 07:04 AM
NARC Reefer

My xenia went in pretty early. At about 3 months if I remember correctly. They've been doing well for over 3 years now.
Mariner

~The perception is that perception is reality, but the reality is that it isn't.
Old 11/09/2006, 04:32 PM
Reef Lovin' Kayaker

In 1999 GARF recommended my tank be at least 9 months old before adding xenia. Things that I have found that seems to help xenia is temperature < 80 degrees, mild current and SeaChem's Reef Plus.

Here is the lovely and gracious Monica's xenia...

It is my favorite of all the xenia. It spreads quickly and is an awesome pulser in low current. The nicest thing about them is they stay small and are easy to propagate... I need to make a short video of them pulsing it is awesome.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 11/11/2006, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JamesJR
XTM, I am not trying to bash you. I just wanted to make you aware of this. You can dose Lugols with great results but I have known lots of people who have killed all their xenia using it. It is very strong stuff and not to be used lightly.
Hi James,

No problem at all I actually have stopped dosing Lugols a month ago and have noticed absolutely NO difference as far as Xenia growth. I think it thrives on something else.. like nutrients?

Anyhow, my "Xenia tank" is a 38G with one Blue Damsel. Very light bio-load.
Old 11/11/2006, 02:24 PM
Reef Lovin' Kayaker

I took some more picture of Monica's xenia last night... This is the xenia that GARF calls the "Portland Pulser".

Thanks,

Scott
Old 11/11/2006, 04:02 PM
Apply within.

Quote:
Originally posted by lildraken
James, about how long do you mean when you say your tank has "matured"? good point, I wonder if anyone had succes with xenia in a new tank. Mine was less than a year old.
I put a small frag of Xenia in our tank only a couple of weeks after the initial cycle was completed. It has done very well, despite my efforts to keep it under control. I've since given in to it and now (7 months later) find myself taking in a stalk or two for credit pretty much every week.
Old 11/12/2006, 12:09 AM
Here comes the Gators

I love it when my xenia attaches to the back of the tank. It makes it look so much more natural. I have to frag my xenia once every two weeks. Not bad.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

Anyone that thinks the SEC isn't the best conference is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 11/12/2006, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

Old 11/12/2006, 03:43 PM
Here comes the Gators

Nice shot

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

Anyone that thinks the SEC isn't the best conference is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 11/27/2006, 02:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bradleyj
In a couple of months, my pom pom has gone from this to this.

Brad, I love your pompom and would love to buy a frag from you. I am in Murray often and could meet with you anywhere. PM me if interested.
Old 11/29/2006, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

Very Nice Brad Here are some pictures of mine:

and here it is now. The tank is 24" deep. I did a ruff measure on the pom pom tonight and I think it is safe to say that it is a 13" ball.

I have fragged it multiple times in the 8 months that I have had it
hydor koralia #4 & #3
Old 12/01/2006, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

bump
Old 12/01/2006, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

these are really nice looking xenia's, I hope mine will grow into something as nice
Old 12/02/2006, 12:58 AM
Registered Member

Don't worry once they get going they don't stop I have 150 heads easy between all my tanks and I can not GIVE this stuff away quick enough .

They love light and will almost always climb , the pic above shows them at the waterline and loving it .
Old 12/04/2006, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

xenia is one of my favs actually, but never had luck with it cause my tank is almost all SPS...
Old 12/04/2006, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin/TiV
xenia is one of my favs actually, but never had luck with it cause my tank is almost all SPS...
I see no reason why you can't have success with them even if your tank has lots of sps. they can thrive under the conditions sps require and they can even grow on the glass.
Old 12/04/2006, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JamesJR
I see no reason why you can't have success with them even if your tank has lots of sps. they can thrive under the conditions sps require and they can even grow on the glass.
I don't know...I never had luck with them...I have some brown plain xexia in there doing fine...but when I had pulsing white...it wilter away...and my sps all grow fine...
Old 12/04/2006, 11:47 PM
clownfish fan

i have two kinds of xenia it is all prolific love it on the glass
Old 12/04/2006, 11:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin/TiV
I don't know...I never had luck with them...I have some brown plain xexia in there doing fine...but when I had pulsing white...it wilter away...and my sps all grow fine...
Have you tried getting them from a hobbyist? If you have a buddy that has some growing and thriving in his tank see if you can get a piece of it from him. It does way better when you get them from a tank.
Old 12/05/2006, 12:53 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GARFVolunteer

Here is the lovely and gracious Monica's xenia...

That really is some beautiful xenia, how large would you say that is? Like in inches tall and wide . .. . .
Old 12/05/2006, 03:03 AM
Reef Lovin' Kayaker

Quote:
Originally posted by Cuby2k
That really is some beautiful xenia, how large would you say that is? Like in inches tall and wide . .. . .
They stay quite small but spred fairly rapidly. I would say the largest the head gets is about 1 to 1-1/2 inches in diameter before splitting. The stalk stays very short around an inch or so. It easy to control the spreading by removing them. I just use a pair of hoof nippers and remove a little of the live rock with them.

I can keep them in the low flow area of the farming unit on my tank but the do not like the high flow in my tank. I am messing around with the flow in my tank to get a low current area. I think I nearly have it and will try again once MOnica has some more to frag.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 12/05/2006, 10:17 PM
WTMRAC's Daddy

I managed to keep mine isolated on the glass for a few years in this tank.
Look on the left side...
Old 12/05/2006, 10:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GARFVolunteer
. . . . . . I think I nearly have it and will try again once MOnica has some more to frag.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott, who is Monica and what would I have to do to get in line to buy a a frag? This stuff really knocks me out, it is beautiful.

Rendos, very nice tank.
Old 12/06/2006, 02:47 AM
Reef Lovin' Kayaker

Monica is my lovely and gracious bride of 22 years, 11 months, and 6 days that has a 60 gallon reef accross the living room from mine...

Just pay for the shipping and the box and I will send you some frags when I have them... I won't have any until after the new year so pester me via PM so I don't forget.

Thanks,

Scott