Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers

Old 09/13/2006, 02:08 PM
Premium Member

Question Anyone have a gorgonian dominated reef?

Just wondering if anyone out there has a tank with a bunch o' gorg's?? IMO that would an amazing display...watching your fish swim in and out between the branches would be pretty sweet
Old 09/17/2006, 02:19 AM
Registered Member

I would check out Paul B's tank. He has quite a few.
Old 09/17/2006, 07:07 AM
Registered Member

i'm in the process of making mine more gorg-dominated. You're right...they are pretty cool.

-M-
Old 09/18/2006, 01:04 PM
Reefer Maniac

anyone got pics of their gorg tanks?
Old 09/18/2006, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

Old 09/19/2006, 09:14 AM
Premium Member

Very nice!!
Old 09/19/2006, 09:27 AM
30 year and over club

I got a few.

Old 09/19/2006, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

are they aggresive at all towards other corals? A gorg dominated tank would be really awesome.
Old 09/19/2006, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

this is a neat idea...never seen one...nice pix
Old 09/19/2006, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

I like the bottle.
Old 09/20/2006, 05:43 AM
30 year and over club

Quote:
I like the bottle.
You should really like this then.

Besides that, I don't find them agressive at all. Most of them are touching other corals and I have not found any problems but of course it is better if they don't touch anything. The other corals damage them. Some of mine have been in there for eight years but most of them are there maybe one or two. They are growing fairly fast and some of them fragged themselves by touching something else and growing on it.
Paul
Old 09/20/2006, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

It's ok to put that in the tank??
Old 09/20/2006, 06:37 PM
30 year and over club

Quote:
It's ok to put that in the tank??
Actually, no.
It's OK to put it in my tank because I coated it with fiberglass resin. I also found it underwater, not that that has anything to do with it.
Take care.
Paul
Old 09/20/2006, 07:34 PM
Premium Member

I have 3 different types of gorgonians in my tank all are doing fine. I have them all on one side of the tank however... Its a little more shady in that spot, but would probably LOOK better if they were spread around the tank. IMO as long as you understand there needs (as with anything else) they generally do well in aquariums.
Ryan
Old 09/21/2006, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

LOL....nice can..thats cool, you just need a piece of toxic waste barrel...and a couple of used syringes, oh, and maybe a plastic ring off a six pack....LOL
Old 09/21/2006, 01:13 PM
30 year and over club

Actually I have all of that stuff, Let me go and throw it in.

There's already about 8 bottles and a rusty chain in there.

It's a garbage dump biotope
Paul
Old 09/23/2006, 11:34 PM
Delaware Reef Club & DVRC

If someone made a tank with nothing in it but gorgs, what do you think would be the best items to feed specifically? So far all I have is yellow gorg in my tank and I plan on buying more.
Old 09/24/2006, 10:50 AM
Premium Member

Here are a few pics of my old tank.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09/24/2006, 11:10 AM

WOAH, that is amazing! I have never seen such large corals in anyones tank. How large were they when you got them and how long did you have them.
Old 09/24/2006, 12:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gordonious
WOAH, that is amazing! I have never seen such large corals in anyones tank. How large were they when you got them and how long did you have them.
Alot of my corals were approaching the 10 year mark. Alot more details can be seen here.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...totm/index.php
Old 09/25/2006, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

I bought a gorg today at the LFS, I didn't bring it home yet, wanted to read about them some first. It's yellow with white polyps(red where they extent out). Didn't ask what specific kind it was, but I'm looking to get into these a little bit. That tank above (toms) is what got me interested in them in the first place.

I've read to keep anything that stings away from it...anything else major I should know before I bring it home. I've read they like an incredible amount of flow...almost direct. I've got over 4000 gph on my 128 (6 foot tank)
Old 09/25/2006, 04:11 PM

Species to species gorgonians can occupy completely different niches. If you have the same species I do it's needs are completely opposite. From what I understand Tom's requires high lighting and doesn't have super picky feeding. The species I keep would cover in algae in high lighting and not make it. Mine are kept in low lighting(most just under actinic) and I feed every day. Supposedly you can get away with feeding every other day and I miss some days, but I try not to. After a day and a half of no food you can tell mine is not happy at all.

I will try to get some photos posted of mine.

Jonathon
Old 09/25/2006, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gordonious
Species to species gorgonians can occupy completely different niches. If you have the same species I do it's needs are completely opposite. From what I understand Tom's requires high lighting and doesn't have super picky feeding. The species I keep would cover in algae in high lighting and not make it. Mine are kept in low lighting(most just under actinic) and I feed every day. Supposedly you can get away with feeding every other day and I miss some days, but I try not to. After a day and a half of no food you can tell mine is not happy at all.

I will try to get some photos posted of mine.

Jonathon
thanx...photos would be cool. Also what do you feed. I'm allready feeding oyster eggs daily
Old 09/25/2006, 04:34 PM

Marine snow is probably there favorite. I also feed live phyto, a jarred product called zooplankton, and when I'm really lazy I put a little zooplex and phytoplex in. I hate using the plex stuff and wouldn't recommend it at all. I have them from a long time ago before I knew better. They have got to be the number one contributor to waist and phosphates in my water.

Jon

I almost took off before posting the pics, it is a good thing you responded quick and got me to look at this again. Sorry I'm really busy. Some photos are on this thread http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=924753
Old 09/25/2006, 04:43 PM

Most of my photos are under mostly actinic, which gives the blue tint you see. It is best to keep them in low lighting like this. Maybe you have a shaded spot in the tank? Remember where ever you put them, if you decide to bring them home, they will need medium flow as well. And if you have had any algae problems recently I would just forget it. I have never had an algae problem ever and I still get lots of algae growth on my gorgs which causes the polyps to recede and it just makes an unhappy coral.

Jonathon