Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/16/2007, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

Grand Caymen

Going on a business/pleasure trip to GC at the end of March and I'm looking for some suggestions for taking my wife snorkeling. I've been there diving, but that was almost 20 years ago. Certainly I'll take here to stingray city/bar. I'd love suggestions of specific locations to take her for a positive (encourage her diving interest) experience. I'd love names of recommended guides/services for boat excursions, and any land-based activities, restaurants, etc that we should not miss. Thanks!
Old 01/16/2007, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

I believe the most popular for snorkeling is stingray city.
Old 01/30/2007, 02:05 PM
Premium Member

I was there just a week ago and I had a great time snorkeling off of Governers Beach (7 mile beach) and some neat things to see at Sunset house and the cracked conch (both of these places were also great for shore dives).
Old 01/30/2007, 02:21 PM
Premium Member

Sunset house is good for snorkeling and is an excellent shore dive with easy access. Highly recommended.

~Steve~
Old 01/31/2007, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

Eden's Rock is supposed to be a really nice place for snorkelling. I think the Cracked Conch may be too deep for a good snorkel, but it is a gorgeous dive. Governor's reef is great, you can access it from public beach right next to the governor's house on Seven Mile Beach and there is a really nice reef about 100 yards out from the shore. If you have your own snorkel gear it is usually not very crowded. The sites I mentioned above and Sunset house are all accessible from shore. You'll have to get a charter boat to snorkel at Stingray City.
Old 02/01/2007, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

Do ya'll know of any great places to stay in GC? I'm looking for a summer place to stay for about a week with my family. A villa would be nice, I also want a place close to good snorkling/diving.
Old 02/01/2007, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

I was there around 20 years ago, stayed on 7mile beach. My memory says that is the place to be for access. I'll be at the Marriott in March for a meeting (actually my wife's meeting There are lots of private rentals, and the Marriott Vacations club is typically good, hotel/full kitchen etc.
Old 02/01/2007, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

Excellentm, have a link?
Old 02/01/2007, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

mvci.com it's a vacation club/timeshare, but you can rent units at most as well.
Old 02/11/2007, 03:08 AM
Engineer

I'm looking at heading down there this fall- I can go any time in September though October. (Prime hurricane season)

Anyone ever been down there during those weeks? I hear it is also the rainy season.

That's the only time we can go, but I'm afraid of getting rained out after all the expense of getting there.

The hotels are much cheaper in the fall too.

I'm not too concerned about the hurricane risk, although I'd like to see the stats as to how often they get hit by a storm big enough to ruin a vacation.

Zeph
Old 02/11/2007, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

The last time I went was when I was in high school...late 80's, and we were there when Gilbert (I think) coasted nearby. Caused rains, and huge swells on 7mile beach, so we dove off of the north side of the island that was sheltered from the farther off hurricane. It was interesting, as you could literally see the bands/arms of the hurricane pass overhead, cloudy, then clear, cloudy, clear. It was great for beachcombing. I found many sea fans & other rubble that washed up. This was in the fall...Oct/Nov I believe.
Old 02/11/2007, 10:14 AM
10 & Over Club

Zeph,

That's when I usually go due to the cheap off season rates. Rain usually doesn't last all day, and if your diving, your all wet anyway If it's too windy on one side of the island, there's always the other side to go diving on As for actual hurricane hits, they are rare and I'm only aware of one hitting in recent memory. It was a big one at that and did some major damage. However, I wouldn't let that stop me from going in the fall

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 02/11/2007, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

we went to GC on a cruise in 04. did stingray city and seven mile beach. absoluly beautiful!

we are going back in june for two weeks. used our timeshare. we will stay here. http://www.morritts.com/ . it was destroyed by hurricane Ivan. its on the east end away from all the cruise ship stops. we will rent a car and drive around. there are reefs right off shore and a dive shop on site. i plan on taking my scuba classes at home and doing my open water certification there. i will start a thread and post alot of the information.

have a great trip.
Old 02/12/2007, 01:47 AM
Engineer

Ivan was the big one- Still some places scrubbed off of the island from that one I hear.

What about non-diving family members? Would they be rained out of typical touristy stuff like beach walking, and shopping?

I'm looking at staying right next to Morrits for the second week there. I too am re-taking the PADI course here (it's been 15 years). Might do the advanced course too before I go.
Old 02/12/2007, 05:00 PM
10 & Over Club

Typically any rain only occurs in patches, maybe a short down pour for a 1/2 hour if that. Never had a real problem with enough rain to bother the rest of the family. There's some good snorkeling by the Morrits, nice shallow reefs.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 02/12/2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

if you want to check out Grand Cayman look at google earth. you can see the boats and people at stingray city.
Old 02/14/2007, 01:45 AM
Engineer

Thanks Bill- that helps some. I was hopping that there would be good snorkeling for the family outside the Reef Resort there at the east end.

I've spent more hours than I should admit on Google earth. Stingray city is funny- a half dozen boats coming and going from there (from the wakes) and a dozen boats anchored there.