Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/10/2006, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

Ouch my eyes

i got my 65x 4 PC lights in 2 actnic and two daylights....I have them on the legs that hold them up from the tank and frankly these lights hurt my eyes...i go into my room and i get a headache...i was thinking that it may be because with them lifted a lot of the light spills into the room not directly into the tank...so can i rest the unit on the top of the tank like i had my old stock lights??? It doesnt have a splash guard but would this help??? Or is too much actnic in teh tank..maybe swith to some 50/50's on the actnics????
Old 03/10/2006, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

Dude, the first time I stepped into my friends place with dual 250w halides I too was blinded now that I have them myself I wish I went with the 400s. Your eyes will get use to it, trust me
Old 03/10/2006, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

thats good...can i still put them dirctly on top of the tank???
Old 03/10/2006, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

I personally would be seriously concerned with splashing which could create a bulb to shatter... Now I'm also drinking heavily in preparation of purchasing Buffett tickets in the A.M. so take my advice with a grain of salt and possibly a lime
Old 03/10/2006, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

any other opinions please???dont some peopel not use these stands on the lights?
Old 03/10/2006, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

i would say no they will get to hot on top of your tank
Old 03/10/2006, 08:08 PM
Premium Member

I would see if there is some way to add a shield to the front of the light fixture. Re-direct the light that is shooting off into the roomback into the tank.
Old 03/10/2006, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

Buy a all glass hood and put the lights directly on the hood. That will prevent the splash from hitting the lights. I have an all glass canopy over my tank that fits a twin tube PC that I have.
Old 03/10/2006, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

what about the two actnics and two daylights....should I change to two daylights and two 50/50/'s...opinions anyone?
Old 03/10/2006, 08:55 PM
Rare Zoa-a-phile

Quote:
Originally posted by sinkingbeach
I personally would be seriously concerned with splashing which could create a bulb to shatter... Now I'm also drinking heavily in preparation of purchasing Buffett tickets in the A.M. so take my advice with a grain of salt and possibly a lime
Sounds like somebody else is going to see him at mohegan sun in June?!
Old 03/10/2006, 08:58 PM
Premium Member

I'd leave the ratio of actinics to daylights the way it is. If you have a daylight bulb closest to the front of the tank, try swapping it with an actinic so it's easier on your eyes when you look at the tank.
I agree if you plan to remove the docking mounts ('legs') you should put a glass top beneath the lights. SW + unprotected bulbs = accident waiting to happen.
Old 03/10/2006, 09:51 PM
Team RC Member

Try bending a bit of thin formica sheeting, width about the height above the water that your light is---how's that for grammar---ie, if your light bottom is 6 inches above the water, a 6 inch band of formica bent and fastened to your supports (which I take are under, not over, the light) will shield your eyes and not overheat your tank. Our tank hood is pretty well the same design. You can use any material that won't pollute your tank if there's condensation and drip. It doesn't have to go all the way around, just in front.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 03/10/2006, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by staninct
Sounds like somebody else is going to see him at mohegan sun in June?!
Will be at Mohegan Sun(comped, it's good to have phriends) and Camden
Old 03/10/2006, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

I agree with just_in_time... get a versa top (glass top) and place directly on the top of your tank. The 4x65 PC's usually have fans - you should be fine with the heat - just monitor the temp for a week to be sure. Plus more light is getting to your tank and not your eyes!!
Old 03/10/2006, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

one more thing do some legs for the lights not fit....the lights are 48 inches long and i have a 55 gallon but the legs when on come out about an inch too far on each side....is there universal legs i can buy?
Old 03/10/2006, 11:45 PM
Premium Member

most light legs I've seen are screwed to a little metal brace that slides into the light fixture on the sides. You should be able to loosen those screws a little and slide the legs inward until they fit your tank.

I wouldn't recomment having the lights right on top of the water because it would make regular tasks a pain (water changes, feeding, new stock additions, testing, etc) for when you have to get into the tank.

Best thing to do is to find some way of covering the front of the light so that it blocks it off. Usually this is done with a hood, but if you're creative enough you can find the means to cope using something around the house.

Good Luck!