Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/10/2006, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

Zoanthid Questions

I've got a little green Zoanthid in my Nano, he was the first thing I added after the cleaner crew. When I got him he was not attached to anything at all, so I found a little spot on the LR and put him there. But he's never attached to anything, from time to time one of the snails or fish will knock him loose and he'll end up in the sand, which would be fine except the pistol shrimp will then bury him

So I've had him about 5 weeks now, and I'm really tired of retrieveing him from the floor of the tank to save him from the Pistol, Is there a way to help them attach to a rock or something?? I just want to get him secure so he doesn't float and get clobbered..

Also he's shed little polyps from time to time, since I'm a newb I'm assuming those are frags, what do I do with them to help them grow or is this a bad sign??

Thanks
Old 03/10/2006, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

If you have a shallow plastic dish and some spare rubble to place inside of it zoos and leathers will attach to rock on their own within about 4 weeks. If you need faster results try super glue gel. Check out www.GARF.org for more info.

Not sure about the polyp shedding, sounds a bit odd if its a single button. Most people refer to zoo polyp frags in numbers. Check out www.zoaid.com for some cool pics.
Old 03/10/2006, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

yeah, seriously, ive super-glued (gel) just about all my different kinds of zoos when Ive gotten tired of them blowing around my tank. They have been fine - some say not to do it, but it works for me. Just a little and that keeps them in place until they attach themselves!
Old 03/10/2006, 11:32 PM
Premium Member

Place him on a small piece of rock that you want him to attach to and set it in the sandbed and cover it with a strawberry basket or something similar so that nosey critters can't get to it. Weight the basket down with another piece of rock to secure it. After a few weeks when he's good and attached to the rock fragment you can place him wherever you want him in the tank.

Also, you could use one of those little breeder net traps that hang on the inside of the tank and put the piece of rock with the Zoa on it in there - so long as it isn't directly under a halide light.

IF you want him on a bigger piece of rock you'll have to trim the little plastic cover basket to contour to the surrounding rock to keep the clumsy cleanup crew out of the way.

I had a little Zoa that wouldn't attach to anything and kept getting knocked down into my rockwork by my hermit crew until I thought he was well and truely gone. Then when I moved the rock he was in into my office Nano (2 months later) he popped back out onto the sandbed all closed up. I placed him up high on a large piece of rock under a strawberry basket for about two and a half weeks and now he's securely attached to where my turbo snails don't bother him when they graze by.

Have fun