Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/23/2006, 01:26 PM
Premium Member

My new 10 gallon Nano project

I was at Wal-Mart the other day and I decided to pick up one of their $10 10 gallon tanks for a new Nano Reef that I have been wanting to start. My goal is to get my polyps, and xenia's out of my 55 gal where my Damsels, Hermits, and Tang give them a hard time (not so much the Tang as the Hermits!). I also thought this would be a great place to put my clownfish (lovingly known as 'Nemo' by my niece and nephews).

I picked up some KRYLON Fusion for Plastic spraypaint while I was there too because I have been wanting to try my hand at painting the background on instead of using the tacky backgrounds that you see on my other two tanks. I cannot remember where on RC that I found the thread on how to do this but as soon as I find it again I will post up credit to whom it is due. I decided to go with a black background, not simply because they didn't have blue - - but also because I think black gives off more of a sense of depth than blue does.

I put down 5 coats of paint (waiting 15 minutes between each coat to allow it to dry) and let it dry overnight. As it happens I also got my new Kent Marine Deluxe Maxxima Hi-S RO/DI unit over the weekend and got it all installed so this Nano represents the first tank that I have used pure RO water in setting up!

After checking the tank for leaks and giving it a nice RO bath I set it up on my desk next to my temporary Aiptasia treatment tank. I put in about 10-15 lbs. of the crushed coral substrate from the 55 gallon because I am wanting to get all the CC out of the main tank and go with an all-sand DSB in there. I filled the tank with premixed RO/DI water, put in about 5 lbs. of LR to start, and turned on the heater. I cleaned out my AquaClear 70 filter and removed the filter media from the main display. I bathed it in RO water and inserted a new foam pad that I had also rinsed in RO water and set that up in the new tank to help clear the sandstorm.

My initial tests after setup revealed the following params:

Temp= 75 degrees F
SpG= 1.022
pH= 8.5
Ammonia= 0
Nitrite= 0
Nitrate= 0
Alkalinity= 4.0
Calcium= 390ppm

I use the Instant Ocean salt mix for my tanks. These parameters were all from mixing the salt in the RO water and letting it mix for a full day before setting it up in the new tank. After taking the readings I dosed the tank with 5ml of Kent's Calcium CB 2-part Calcium supplement to get the calcium up a bit. I also dose all of my tanks with Reef Solutions, 2.5ml for the 10 gallon's and 12.5ml for the 55.

I don't expect I will see much of a cycle in this tank, but better safe than sorry I guess. I will keep you guys posted as I make progress on this project. Here are some photos from after the setup: (sorry for the fuzziness, my camera was just about out of juice. I will get some clearer shots later.)

Above= The tank on the left is the new RO Nano, on the right you will see my established 10 gallon. I am currently treating some LR for Aiptasia's and Majana's in this tank as you can see by the Joes Juice box in the upper right.

I also thought this would be a neat experiment, with the new tank being completely RO stocked I thought I would keep the other tank going with water from my Tap to see how the two environments progress with different water sources. Both tanks are running off the same lighting, and in effect, the same photoperiod.

Bottom= Here are a couple of shots of the new tank as the dust storm is almost cleared.

Thanks for all your great posts and DIY information for making this project possible guys! I am looking forward to seeing this tank progress!
Old 01/23/2006, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

cool setup; will be nice not to have to wait several weeks for the new setup to cycle. are you going to add a skimmer?
Old 01/23/2006, 02:28 PM
Premium Member

Not immeadiately. I currently have a SeaClone100 skimmer for my 55 gallon (100-300gph) which I feel needs to be replaced with something a little more powerful. When I get around to getting a new skimmer for the 55 then I may transfer the SC100 over to the new tank. I am not sure how much of an impact that will have on temp and space, not to mention the micro-bubbles that the SC introduces.
Old 01/23/2006, 06:45 PM
22 And Livin It Up!

looking good, i also went the Wal-Mart way and got the 10 gal beginner kit they have. So far so good

here is my 10gal wal-mart tank

Click on My Gallery for pics of my tank
Click the little red house for my tank diary!!!
Old 01/24/2006, 02:00 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the post! That's a nice Wally-world setup you've got going there how long has it been running for?

I checked my param's yesterday when I got home and it showed improvement after having time to warm up. Here is the readout:

Temp = 81 F
SpG = 1.024
pH = 8.5
Am = 0
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 0
Alk = 4.5
Calcium = 400 ppm

I have to start tearing down my 55 for an upcomming move. I am going to be moving the xenias and polyps and feather duster to the new tank to get them away from the hermits and damsels that keep annoying them. I also want to get them out of that Nitrate saturated environment and into a cleaner one! So I will have some new pics to post up soon.

I will be keeping a close eye on my params while they are in here of course for any sign of Am or NO3 spikes signaling the start of a cycle, but a friend of mine did a similar setup (using all established substrate and rock in new setup with new water) and he never had to remove his xenias, polyps, or sps frags. He never registered any kind cycle and his tank is running good for over 9 months now. I can only hope for the same luck!

If it does start showing a cycle I plan to have the treatment tank ready to move them into since it is established and running for about 5-6 months now. I just need to get a new heater for it since I pilfered its old one (which is less than a month old!) for the new tank.

I eventually plan to have the treatment tank house my damsels and some LR, the new tank host my Clown and polyps, etc., and the 55 gallon will hold the Tang until I get my next setup going and convert it into a 'fuge.

At any rate, I'll post up some pics of the new tank as I go!
Old 01/24/2006, 02:08 PM
22 And Livin It Up!

My tank has ben running about a month and my prams are Am = 0
NO2 = 0 NO3 = 0, all the livesand and live rock is cured/from exsisting set ups so i never even saw a cycle, so i doubt you would have problems with that as long as there is die off.

Old 01/24/2006, 02:31 PM
Premium Member

Good to hear.

Ah, Florida... the southernmost state where nobody has a southern accent! I didn't even know what the hell a southern accent was until we moved to GA when I was 10. Only thing I miss about FL now is the ocean. Great place to visit though! Sorry to go off topic there. Party on!

Aaron
Old 01/24/2006, 02:42 PM
22 And Livin It Up!

Yeah Florda is really nice, I have only lived here about 1 year though, i lived in Alaska before then since i was 5. I like that people dont have accents, i think living where people did would annoy me lol

Old 01/24/2006, 03:11 PM
Premium Member

Alaska to Florida... well, you're one for extreme changes now aren't you! Going from the frigid upper northwest all the way down to the southeasternmost State would faze some people. Florida's hot and humid weather gets to some people, to me its better than hot and dry where you get burned before you know it! But still, you gotta love a place that can throw down a nasty rainstorm and then be clear, sunny, and dry 4 hours later! And where the heart of winter leaves you standing with nothing more than a windbreaker on! Good times.
Old 01/24/2006, 03:17 PM
22 And Livin It Up!

oh yeah going from the most northwest state to the smost southeast state was a change, but i love it. Right now it's like 80 here and up in alaska it is -30 I miss the alaska summers though, they are sooo awesome, but i don't mind the summers here, plus i love storms. Wilma is the coolest thing i have ever been though can't wait till next hurricane season

Old 01/24/2006, 03:22 PM
Premium Member

Good times. Best of luck for the next season then!