Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself > The R3CA Project
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/06/2002, 01:46 PM
Super Hero

Great idea. I'd like to help any way that I can.

Don't forget your towel!

( \ / )
(O.o)
( >< )
/_|_\
Copy the bunny into your signature to help him achieve world domination.
Old 03/06/2002, 02:11 PM
West Coast reefin'

I may be bale to help witht he hardware side of it. Circuit design, fabrication etc.

I am running some tests on other reef equipment and stuff but have been looking into some form of controller in conjunction with a couple of other reefers up here.

I do have some ideas regarding a controller. One is using a pelltier device to perform cooling and heating of a tank. I haven't had a chance to test it just yet but am curious. Random power head operation is another. Not using things such as a 555 timer, want complete random cycles of on and off duration. Another idea is an interface board to a PC that does the actual controlling of vairous functions and mesurements. Then it will be a matter of setting up a board to measure certain probes and i/o for lighting control and such. As long as a probe or sensor outputs it's signal in mV it will be easy to write translation code for a software interface. Even working with PICs and PLC's could be another avenue.

As well I can write some code(highlevel) c, c++. plus do HTML work etc.

let me know.

Beauty fades....
Stupid is forever......

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 03/06/2002, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

We have 19 possible volunteers already. Now the trick is getting everyone's e-mail address and a forum set up to start this project off.

I'm working on both tasks, so please be patient. The creation of a forum for discussion is one of the most important tasks right now.
Old 03/06/2002, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

Re: All enthusiastic interested reefers can help.

Quote:
Originally posted by bstreib
If your interested and enthusiastic about the project I'm sure we have a productive job for you. After the project really starts we need proof readers, writers, people to do graphics, people to take pictures of completed modules, etc. So there will plenty of things to do for anyone who wants to be a part of the project.
Count me in then. I have been using X10 for a year.
Old 03/06/2002, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

As well as a cheerleader I will do whatever else I can, let me know. jstein3@socal.rr.com

Also check this thread in advanced topics, it is generating interest:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbull...5&pagenumber=1
Old 03/06/2002, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

I would be willing to help out on the web page side if needed .
Old 03/06/2002, 05:20 PM
Premium Member

hello

My husband is an electrical engineer and has been toying with the idea of designing a controller for our reef. I know he's capable of doing it, he just doesn't have much spare time Since this is a group project I am sure he would have enough time to participate with the help of others I'll get him to post later with what he could help with specifically
Old 03/06/2002, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

I DIY with a passion -- and, since I'm also interested in playing around with electronics, I would love to see something like this come about. I actually have a friend who's assembling something like this right now; I'll let you all know how it comes out.

Some people say I can write pretty good (hehe ), and I'm certainly willing to lend a hand in any way I can. I'm sure a lot of us will chime in again once you folks have specific forums set up for that purpose!

-Jon
Old 03/06/2002, 09:44 PM
RC Staff

Here you go. http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin...hp?forumid=145
Old 03/06/2002, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

I am game. I don't always have a lot of time due to my new 120 and the kids, but I will help out where I can. I am comfortable doing web programming although a little rusty since I am in management now...
Old 03/06/2002, 11:09 PM
Registered Member

Wow! I thought I was the only one who wanted to build one of these!!!

I am a very good programmer with some breadboard stuff type experience too. I can handle all the interface design and higher level programming, however I think finding people to help there won't be hard. I can do some circuitry and most of the assembler, low level stuff, if you need me for it.

Rather than starting with anything too complicated, I think we should start playing around with various materials to build the probes. Once we have a probe, we can figure out how to hook it to a PC and get accurate readings.

We also need a device that can turn a standard voltage outlet on or off with a low voltage signal. Similarly we need something that can turn on and off a plumbing valve electronically.

The key point is not just building a controller, the key is building a controller that is reliable, cheap and relatively simple in design.

Lets make this project "open source" meaning anyone can read how we built our work, contribute ideas, and add components.

e-mail: brad@bellomo.org if you want me to work on something that will help you, or if you built a probe.
Old 03/06/2002, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

Well, I am really a jack of all trades, master of some. I would probably be most helpful in the testing, actual building of proposed controllers. Make sure it is really DIY. I have a basic understanding of electronic components, but might get lost when it comes to digital circuits. I would be more than happy to build a circuit if someone designs it. I'm thinking Radio Shack breadboards and off the shelf components. We should probably be thinking Radio Shack here. I could also try to design an enclosure for the final connections to individual devices - relays for line voltage devices. Not much free time, but willing to help where I can. What are we trying to control specifically? I am not familiar with the Aquacontroller. Just water flow, or a scalable system that could run the entire tank: Make up water, ph control, heat/cooling, etc?

Reef_ayuh@yahoo.com
Old 03/06/2002, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

Reef_ayuh@yahoo.com

That's an underscore between Reef and ayuh.

RA
Old 03/06/2002, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

Well as my wife (Mia1974) mentioned I am an electrical engineer who's been toying with this idea for several years and have investigated several methods of implementing such a design. I have worked on several large multi disciplined projects from start to finish and I can help specify the design flow and what is actually required to get this project rolling smoothly.

While I can't offer any web space or cheerleading (which it seems you have enough of) my areas of experience are the following:

- ARM, PIC, AVR, MSP430 and various other microcontroller programing in both assembly and C.
- analog, digital, RF, power and interface circuit design.
- EDA design entry and PCB layout/fabrication.

In other words; low level system design, integration and debug.

The first step has begun, identifying skill sets and resources. I'm sure that with the pool of resources that lurk at RC that this project will be a success.

Dave
Old 03/06/2002, 11:42 PM
Registered Member

May I suggest....

that we start a new thread and a poll dedicated to the features that people would like to see in the controller to help organize things.

Dave
Old 03/07/2002, 12:05 AM
Registered Member

Thumbs up

EE with 20 years hardware design experience. I can handle the circuit design, schematic capture, possibly lay out a pcb but I don't own a tool for that. 10 years programmable logic design, CPLDs, FPGAs, ASICs, etc. I have embedded processor and DSP design experience, Motorola, Intel, etc. I can handle power supply design,... Hey, beginning to sound like my resume here! I'm very interested and would like to be considered to head up the hardware design end. I have plenty of SW in my background as well . Let me know if I can help.

Billy
Old 03/07/2002, 09:05 AM
RC Staff
American

I'd like to throw my hat into this ring if I may. I really don't have computer skills to add to the project, but I'm a DIY kinda guy and I would love to have an oportunity to be a part of this.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 03/08/2002, 12:52 AM
Registered Member

Count me in.

Ok, I don't have an impressive resume as some other people but I'll have a BS Electronics Engineering degree by June 2002. So anything along the lines of my major (PIC programming, assembly language, digital circuit design, etc.) I'll be willing to do. So count me in.
Old 03/08/2002, 12:58 PM
******* NJRC

I, too, would love to help out. I have an EE from Texas A & M, but it has been many years since I have made a circuit board. I still remember how though. I know the hardware end as well. I build computers for friends and family. Mostly, I work on cars ( the sensors and computer systems) now. I am so much into DIY that I built my own tank. And I am greatly interested in Aquarium Controlers.

Tracey
Old 03/08/2002, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

I would also love to contribute to this project. I am a software engineer... so I would be very comfortable helping out on that end. Possibly, I could help design the GUI interface for this project.
Old 03/11/2002, 07:12 PM
10 & Over Club
Coral Biographer

has anyone seen this guys site?

http://aquarium.richwill.com./

Looks like some awsum software

Dave Polzin
Old 03/11/2002, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

Yupper

Shred5,
I'm an X-10 but this does cause problems in some other locations. Creative individuals that think outside the box are always wonders to me and a lot of others. Good show richwill, you have a standard to match or beat.
Old 03/11/2002, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

So many EE's and SE's and not even one ME? I would like to help out from the mechanical side. I have been involved in a multitude of automation projects over the years and have a CAD system I can use to design mechanical components and housings, etc. Let me know how I can help.
Old 03/18/2002, 08:57 AM
kid who ran with scissors

Please count me in. My background is Electromechanical mostly. I have worked in design, manufacturing and Testing of all sorts of equipment from Apache helicopters to Particle Accelerators. I prefer mostly to work at a systems level, I am also a DIY kinda guy for my reef stuff, I just finished plumbing up all of the equipment for my new reef this weekend. I think that Reef ayuh and I would make a good team in testing and packaging the system. See if it really is something that can be built and used effectively and safely by other Reef people out there. Let me know what and when, I'm in.

Chris
Old 03/19/2002, 03:44 AM
Registered Member

I truly have no appreciable skills in this area, but would like to take part. Please let me know what I may be able to contribute to this venture (if you need doors or windows built, or a race car prepped, then I can be a valuable asset!).

w.wiedman@att.net

Golf has taught me 2 valuable lessons about myself: 1) I have a drinking problem, 2) I have Tourette's Syndrome.