Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2006, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

Question What should i do?

My friend is trying to talk me into getting my PADI certification. The hard part i am having is that i Snorkeled in south america. Done lots of swiming on some beautifull reefs and oceans. Went to some places that wern't even on a map. Saw the most beautifull marine life. One time we were flying in on a helo and saw an octupus. we were 200 + ft AGL! it was beautifull.

now my decision is should i do it? the water clarity up here in Arkansas is 5-10 ft. Im used to all you can see clear. I dont want to disapoint my new friend. he is new to the area, needs a dive buddy, my family and his have gotten real close. What should i do? any suggestions? And yes i miss south america. panama, venezuela, costa rica, Honduras, Ecuador. I had a blast for 3 years. I worked with my swimsuit under my flight suit , my fins and mask always at my side.

What do you think?
Old 01/04/2006, 03:30 PM
10 & Over Club

It might not be the same as diving in the tropics, but I've never been on a dive that I didn't enjoy

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 01/04/2006, 06:16 PM
Real Cool Guy

I live in Arizona and diving in state here is pretty crummy but thats what vacations are for! I say do it, If you liked the water and snorkeling, diving will amaze you.
Old 01/19/2006, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

It's the same difference as watching the game on tv or from the field.
Do the course in conjunction with a referral to a prime location for your actual open water dives if you plan to do only warm saltwater diving.
Keep in mind that your certification is for "conditions as good or better than those you were trained and certified under" so if you think you may do some freshwater lake/quarry diving, then just do it. Your comfort level will be higher and you establish a relationship with a shop and instructor that will go beyond your initial certification.
Another benefit is that shops will frequently offer discounts to students on rentals and purchases.
Old 01/20/2006, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

If you live in Moutain Home, you have two lakes within very short distances that have better than 5-10 ft viz. Parts of Bull Shoals are better than that and Norfork is much better than that. Reservoir diving certainly can't compare with snorkeling in the places you mentioned, but there are lots of other fun things to do underwater than look at wildlife. Since you're in law enforcement, why don't you check out the sheriff's office there about their recovery divers? It ain't all recovering bodies.

anyway, good luck with whichever way you decide to go.
BKB
Old 01/20/2006, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

lol thats who i work for But im not on the divers team. I have 2 good friends that dive here plus work budies and they all have told me visability is 5-10ft. thats where i got the distance from. LOL right now the norfork lake is 20ft below normal now. only one boat launch left that is in water. so pretty murky right now. Hope we get more rain soon before summer gets here or more water from up north in Missouri.
Old 01/20/2006, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

I say go for it - not all diving is 100+ vis. Some of my favorite dives are in the Tennessee River with 0-5 ft vis.
Can't ever tell what you'll come across.

This space intentionally left blank...
Old 01/22/2006, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

Diving in 'less than good' conditions only makes diving in good conditions all the more better. It will also allow you to become a better diver by making you practice navigation, air consumption, buddy comunication, and raising your general comfort level.
Dont let your bud down.
Old 01/26/2006, 10:45 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

I love warm water diving, but I've seen some amazing things in MA water.
Wolffish - bigger then this one, mola mola - ocean sunfish, HUGE lobsters - couldn't fit both hands together around the body, a WHITE lobster, very weird looking fish, anemones, seals

and the best...LOBSTER DINNER!! mmmmmmmmmmm....