Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2007, 01:17 AM
Registered Member

babies everywhere

hi...i just discovered that i have several tiny mantis shrimps running wild all over my 55 gallon reef...we are talking half a centimeter here, if that...most definitely mantis...can tell by the body and by the way they move, with the somersaults...i can't be running a mantis farm in my reef, or i will never be able to keep anything else...this after celebrating the removal of three mature adults...i gave one away, set up a tank for the biggest one, and still have one left to do something with, maybe trade in to the lfs...what can i do about getting rid of the tiny guys in my big tank?....is there something that will hunt out and destroy these little guys before they get big enough to be a problem?
Old 12/06/2007, 02:09 AM
Registered Member

From my understanding its very hard to bring up mantis shrimp even if you are trying. I wouldn't worry too much about it, they could get sucked into your filter system, or even most of them die from cannibalism.

-Charles Darwin
Old 12/06/2007, 02:14 AM
Registered Member

if they are really mantids, dont worry about it. they will die, i guarantee it. no damage.

that said, i highly doubt they really are mantids. do a search for copepods, amphipods... pods pods pods. it's usually what these "mantis babies" are.
Old 12/06/2007, 02:32 AM
Registered Member

i'm betting on amphipods
Old 12/06/2007, 08:11 AM
Registered Member

i would love it if they were, but i think they are too big for pods....they move, act, and look exactly like mantis...maybe i exaggerated with the "running wild" bit...they aren't "everywhere", but i did see at least three at the same time, so there is probably more....they are big enough top get a good look at, if they are not mantis i would be very surprised...hope not though, good to know they are hard to rear, but they are out of the plankton stage, so i didn't know if that was far enough...if one cannibalizes the others there is still one left....if he doesn't get sucked away, anybody know of a predator for them when they are this small?
Old 12/06/2007, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

Any chance of getting some pics?
Old 12/06/2007, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

They grow about an inch in their first year under the best conditions. They won't be a problem for a long time. You may consider keeping them until they get older. They will likely cannibalize eachother until their is one or two, then feed the winner daily. A full mantis most likely won't attack anything but the occasional snail or hermit.

Dan

"Sanity? What would I do with something as useless as that?"
-Kennpachi
Old 12/06/2007, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

ill try to get some pics for you...they only come out at night...already have one pet mantis...already worked too hard to remove several to let more stay!
Old 12/06/2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

I am interested in the remaining mantis that you are looking to rehome. Can you send me some pics @ "Kirby52894@chartermi.net"- without the quote marks of course.
I am in Michigan- so shipping would be quick and I can probably get it charged on my friends FedEX account.
Approx how large is it?
I have one mantis tank set up already and would love to add another- Thanks!!!

Julie
Old 12/06/2007, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

i wish i could send him to you...he did not survive the night...i pulled him using a freshwater dip, and he did not make it...i got my first one this way with no problems...wish he had made it, sad...sorry...if i find another i'll let you know...
Old 12/06/2007, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

These are amphipods...is this what you are seeing?

or what about these? Mysis shrimp

I doubt you have baby mantis in the tank... this quote was taken from Clicky

The late larval stages are beautifully transparent and are active predators in the plankton community. the group exhibits two types of larval development, the earlier stages of which are passed in the burrow. The later stages leading to the alima stage become more like the adult and prior to settling out, after six weeks or so in the plankton, they may be five centimetres long and as transparent as glass.

these are baby mantis...

Old 12/06/2007, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

i do have mysis shrimp, definitely not what i am talking about...could be amphipods i suppose, but looks most like the latest larval stage of mantis, but not nearly as big as it says, which i doubt is true anyway...five centimeters is two inches...the n. wennerae only get to 3 as adults...hope its amphipods, if not hope they don't make it to adulthood
Old 12/06/2007, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

im willing to bet its amphipods
Old 12/06/2007, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

If you happen to find another that you are looking to rehome just let me know.

Thanks-
Julie
Old 12/10/2007, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

julie...i happened to find another one today...got him out with a fresh dip really quickly...he was barely stunned, pretty sure he's going to make it just fine...he looks ok already...you still interested?
Old 12/10/2007, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

still interested- PM sent.
Old 12/10/2007, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

any pics?
Old 12/11/2007, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

pics