Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/27/2007, 03:10 PM
Catch and release

Quote:
Originally posted by MCsaxmaster
Sure, I have no doubt that the corals can and will change coloration as a response to differences in lighting, but we don't know exactly in what manner they are changing or what is inducing the change. Intensity likely has a lot to do with it, spectrum most likely doesn't. Intensity of UV could be an important factor, but we largely ignore that...

cj
In your opinion is it possible it could be the intensity of ceartain spectrums (450nm and 420nm would be common spikes) along with overall intesity?
Old 10/27/2007, 03:41 PM
g l a s s b o x

spectrum plays a large role ime. here's some good reading http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/10/aafeature2 i suggest taking time to check out the whole series...it's interesting stuff and goes into detail. it seems dana also believes spectrum plays a large role

Quote:
there seems little doubt that ‘energetic’ wavelengths such as violet and blue can cause proteins to rearrange their molecular structures and thus shift from drab to colorful. But, as we shall see, there are other factors involved.

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 10/29/2007, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister

Having a narrow blue output, while good for many coral's growth, can lead to photoinhibition alot easier. Scientists in Germany (and elsewhere according to Dana Riddle) have found that light sources like T5s and LEDs that are heavily concentrated in the blue spectrum w/ little other spectrums can actually stunt coral growth at much lower PAR levels than if the light was a full spectrum lamp.

Hahn, I believe this is because of the photosynthesis curve. What I remember from biology was that ratios of spectrum matching the photsynthesis curve gave the highest growth per photon.

In a simplified example per the curve you need 10 photons of blue and 4 photons of red to synthesis a molecule sugar ( for arguments sake). If you have 100 photons of blue and 4 photons of red, you still only generate one molecule sugar.

This would explain why a high PAR narrow spectrum has poor growth. This is going back 15 years and I could be wrong.
Old 10/29/2007, 07:17 PM
El Jefe de WRS

No, not really. First, take that 'photosynthesis curve' from terrestrial plants and toss it. It doesnt apply with corals. Each coral has a different 'curve', as well as the ability to adapt that curve to the light available... which makes sense since corals cant always pick where they are going to end up, and their spectrum will vary with regards to depth.

The reason, just like with blue and UV, is that as you go shorter and shorter in wavelength is that the energy increases. Simply put, blue light contains more energy per photon than red.

Different corals respond to different spectrums differently. IME, the best thing to do is provide a full range of light, and the coral can pick & choose which spectrums are best.
Old 10/30/2007, 12:23 AM
Registered Member

Aloha all,

My 2 cents worth - blue light induces a chemical change in xanthophylls (diadinoxanthin and diadinoxanthin) - see the absorption curve for this pigments in UNESCO's Phytoplankton Pigment book by S. Jefferies.

The more intense the blue light, the more conversion of xanthophylls, which dumps excessive light energy as non-radiant heat. This conversion can be overwhelmed by excessive blue light.

It's not necessarily that blue light is inherently 'bad' - it is when excessive blue radiation overcomes the protective devices offered by xanthophyll photopigments. In other words, 'good photoinhibition' (dynamic) becomes 'bad' chronic photoinhibition.

It doesn't help that even recent literature (Eric B., for example) offers incorrect advice.

Dana
Old 11/03/2007, 02:51 AM
Premium Member

http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog...ee_060202.html

I am sure you guys have seen this one as well. I had been thinking about this topic recently and looking for some info.

Thanks!!
Old 11/04/2007, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

But Dana, excessive blue light is synonamous with excessively intense light, no?

Also, help me if you would to understand how that should relate to the production of coral pigments? I mean, saturated photosynthesis using white light vs. saturated using white light that is heavier on the blue end gets to the same result in terms of photosynthesis. I see no reason that the corals should produce more of any given animal pigment in response to increased blue light as compared to bright full-spectrum light.

cj

~ Touched by His noodly appendage ~
Old 11/07/2007, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

Aloha CJ,
>>But Dana, excessive blue light is synonamous with excessively intense light, no?<<
Hmmm… No. Warmer color (red for example) is associated with the spectral signature of shallow depths (along with other wavelengths of course) where light is most intense on real reefs.

>>Also, help me if you would to understand how that should relate to the production of coral pigments? I mean, saturated photosynthesis using white light vs. saturated using white light that is heavier on the blue end gets to the same result in terms of photosynthesis. I see no reason that the corals should produce more of any given animal pigment in response to increased blue light as compared to bright full-spectrum light.<<
Are we talking about the protective xanthophylls? Fluorescence? Chromoproteins?
The ‘Coral Coloration’ series is over 250 pages now, so please help me out by being a tad more specific.
Thanks,
Dana
Old 11/07/2007, 01:55 AM
Registered Member

Aloha Dana,

Aloha CJ,
>>But Dana, excessive blue light is synonamous with excessively intense light, no?<<
Hmmm… No. Warmer color (red for example) is associated with the spectral signature of shallow depths (along with other wavelengths of course) where light is most intense on real reefs.

Yes, I should have said more clearly what I meant. The effects of intense blue light should be nearly synonamous with the effects of intense while light on photosynthesis. Of course this is not exactly the same as there are issues associated with transfer efficiency to the chla in the centers of photosynthesis of PSII and blue light ends up producing a bit more heat than other, lower wavelenghts, but practically speaking, once a photon is absorbed and transferred to a center of photosynthesis, the initial wavelength of that photon is immaterial.

>>Also, help me if you would to understand how that should relate to the production of coral pigments? I mean, saturated photosynthesis using white light vs. saturated using white light that is heavier on the blue end gets to the same result in terms of photosynthesis. I see no reason that the corals should produce more of any given animal pigment in response to increased blue light as compared to bright full-spectrum light.<<
Are we talking about the protective xanthophylls? Fluorescence? Chromoproteins?
The ‘Coral Coloration’ series is over 250 pages now, so please help me out by being a tad more specific.
Thanks,
Dana

Here I mean the production of any colorful coral pigment and mean to exclude zooxanthellae pigments. That would include fluorescent proteins as well as chromoproteins. If these pigments are meant as a sort of sunscreen for the zoox. I see no reason that their production should be substantially different due to a difference in light spectrum (within reason--something analagous to what we see from hobbyist bulbs). If the proteins are not involved in a process like this (e.g., GFP) I see no reason they should be affected by light spectrum whatsoever (excluding UV, for obvious reasons).

Chris

Old 11/07/2007, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

Aloha Chris,

>>The effects of intense blue light should be nearly synonamous with the effects of intense while light on photosynthesis. <<
If by ‘intense’ we mean blue-saturated or blue super-saturated photosynthesis, then yes the resulting photosynthesis should be the same.
>> ….But practically speaking, once a photon is absorbed and transferred to a center of photosynthesis, the initial wavelength of that photon is immaterial.<<
Yes, agreed – a usable photon is a usable photon to the photosynthetic process. However, the conversion of xanthophylls (the non-photochemical quenching or NPQ) is directly related to wavelength – the DD/DT cycle is powered by presence or absence of blue wavelengths. So, the dynamic photoinhibition (non-damaging and natural) we see is due to intensity of violet/blue wavelengths. (Xanthophylls do not play a significant part in coral coloration, to my knowledge.)
Those warmer wavelengths – red – used in photosynthesis are usually not an issue with corals from deeper depths (or in shaded portions of shallow tidepools). However, strong red light can cause bleaching since many corals have no defense against them (and why should they, since red wavelengths are attenuated rapidly in a water column?).

>>Here I mean the production of any colorful coral pigment and mean to exclude zooxanthellae pigments. That would include fluorescent proteins as well as chromoproteins.<<
OK – thanks! – That helps!
>> If these pigments are meant as a sort of sunscreen for the zoox.<<
IMO, that’s a big ‘if’, although Salih’s work strongly suggests Kawaguti’s findings were for the most part correct. I’m not saying Salih is wrong, just that I think other factors should be considered (zooxanthellae clade, effect of temperature on ETR, etc.) before sweeping statements are made.
>>I see no reason that their production should be substantially different due to a difference in light spectrum (within reason--something analagous to what we see from hobbyist bulbs). If the proteins are not involved in a process like this (e.g., GFP) I see no reason they should be affected by light spectrum whatsoever (excluding UV, for obvious reasons).<<
Evidence from the biomedical field *strongly* suggests (ie, proves) certain wavelengths are indeed responsible of production of certain coral pigments (usually violet/blue with some orange colors produced by exposure to green wavelengths). This is not a new concept, after all certain wavelengths are known to induce changes in human skin (UV-B and sunburn); blue light in timing of some corals bio-clocks; flowering of terrestrial plants in response to red light, etc. There is a book written on the various effects of blue light (The Blue Light Syndrome).
Blue light reconfigures the coral pigment protein (cis-, tris- whatever) in an effect called the ‘hula-twist’. There are slight substitutions in the protein’s amino acid makeup. The pigment can become fluorescent or non-fluorescent or change colors upon exposure to the ‘proper’ wavelength(s).
>>I see no reason that the corals should produce more of any given animal pigment in response to increased blue light as compared to bright full-spectrum light.<<
The fact is that coral pigments are generated in response to wavelength *and* intensity – there are just too many biomedical papers to ignore (which confirm the thousands of anecdotal observations by hobbyists). But your question is really one of ‘why’ – and that is open to speculation and conjecture.
However, years ago, when I was at Aquatic Wildlife, we worked diligently on unlocking the mysteries of coral coloration (color – like sex – sells!). The full-spectrum Iwasaki DL lamps were very good at generating color (if intensity was great enough). Problem was – these lamps are lousy at showcasing most of the fluorescent colors (although the red and blue non-fluorescent chromoproteins really stood out).
So, there are cases where color is generated by full-spectrum lamps. The Iwasakis produce a good amount of blue light, although it is washed out by the yellow-green portion of the spectrum.
Dana
Old 11/07/2007, 05:31 PM
Catch and release

Thanks for clarifying that Dana
Old 11/07/2007, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

Hi Dana,

>> If these pigments are meant as a sort of sunscreen for the zoox.<<
IMO, that’s a big ‘if’, although Salih’s work strongly suggests Kawaguti’s findings were for the most part correct. I’m not saying Salih is wrong, just that I think other factors should be considered (zooxanthellae clade, effect of temperature on ETR, etc.) before sweeping statements are made.

Agreed, I do think this is a big if. For instance, I don't think there's any reason to think GFP has anything to do with the fact it interacts with visible light--that's likely just a side effect and has nothing to do with its true function. Some of the GFP-like fluorescent and non-fluorescent proteins...I don't know. I can appreciate what Salih et al., have done, but I'm not entirely convinced they have it figured out just yet.

What about zoox. clade, temp., etc. do you think needs to be considered?

Evidence from the biomedical field *strongly* suggests (ie, proves) certain wavelengths are indeed responsible of production of certain coral pigments (usually violet/blue with some orange colors produced by exposure to green wavelengths).

I'd be most interested to take a look, if you could direct me.

This is not a new concept, after all certain wavelengths are known to induce changes in human skin (UV-B and sunburn); blue light in timing of some corals bio-clocks; flowering of terrestrial plants in response to red light, etc. There is a book written on the various effects of blue light (The Blue Light Syndrome).

Well ya, sure, but that is completely different. The ability to sense light and having different sensitivity in the photoreceptors to different wavelengths does not imply differential production of particular proteins. I don't start tanning if I sit and stare in a blue room instead of a green room

I'll reserve judgement until I see strong evidence one way or another, but to this point I've yet to see any evidence or been able to think of any a priori reason that a difference in light spectrum should cause corals to produce more or less of colorful pigments.

Best,

Chris

Old 11/07/2007, 06:08 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Dana, I have a related question...

T5s(or all phosphor bulbs I suppose) and halides can be set up to have the same spectrum. I dont know if you have heard/seen the effects that some T5s have on the corals though.

Its a bit like this... when Home Depot was changing all their halides out for T5s, at the 50/50 point, you could look into the halide section of the store, and things were bright, sure, but 'duller' in a way. When I looked at the T5 lit side, all the colors seemed to 'pop' more, esp the bright orange color on all the racking... almost like with a blacklight... but these are all 3000K and 6500K GE bulbs.

I have observed similar things with T5s in the home reef as well. It seems that there is something in the light spectrum that allows corals to color up better than with halides, even when under lower light levels for some otherwise light-greedy acros. The pigments arent just picked up by the T5s in some way for how I see them, but they change all together. I can get orange whorling cap to color up into a neon red color, and Blue tortuosa to light up this way as well. And it wasnt just because of variation in spectrum. I picked bulbs on both systems that gave the same final spectral output (EVC 20,000K vs. 2x aquablue, 2x blue+, 2x true actinic 03). Others observe this as well, so its a little more than just a 'fluke' it seems. What is this from? Could it be some sort of wavelength (but no halide I have tried seems to be able to do this)? Does it have to do with the inner light producing gasses of the T5s? I can literally grow corals faster and with better coloration with T5s than with halides. I thought that with my new halide + T5 combo, I would get this still, if not more... but this just isnt so. Just wondering if there is some explaination for this.
Old 11/07/2007, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

Aloha Chris,

>>What about zoox. clade, temp., etc. do you think needs to be considered?<<

There are other reasons that colorful corals could have a lower electron transport rate (as demonstrated by various researchers).
Fabricius showed that colorful corals retain less heat than colorful ones. Does this play any role at all? No one to my knowledge has connected the dots on this one.
The zooxanthella clade could play a difference - some adjust to light intensity by adjusting their numbers, some adjust the PSU size. Some are heat or bleaching resistant due to the chemical compostion of the thyllakoid membranes. Color might have nothing to do with their photosynthetic capacity.

>>Well ya, sure, but that is completely different. The ability to sense light and having different sensitivity in the photoreceptors to different wavelengths does not imply differential production of particular proteins. I don't start tanning if I sit and stare in a blue room instead of a green room <<

Smarty pants ;-). The point is that spectrum is often an important part of photochemical responses. I don't have time to pick through the references, so I'll cut-and-paste a partial list - there are some real gems buried in the biomedical literature!

>>I'll reserve judgement until I see strong evidence one way or another, but to this point I've yet to see any evidence or been able to think of any a priori reason that a difference in light spectrum should cause corals to produce more or less of colorful pigments. I'd be most interested to take a look, if you could direct me.<<

Here goes:
Ando, R., H. Hama, M. Yamamoto-Hino, H. Mizuno, and A. Miyawaki, 2002. An optical marker based on the UV-induced green-to-red photoconversion of a fluorescent protein. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 99(20):12651-12656.

Ando, R., H. Mizuno and A. Miyawaki, 2004. Regulated fast nucleocytoplasmic shuttling observed by reversible protein highlighting. Science, 306:1370-1373.

Andresen, M., M. Wahl, A. Stiel, F. Gräter, L. Schäfer, S. Trowitzsch, G. Weber, C. Eggeling, H. Grubmüller, S. Hell and S. Jakobs, 205. Structure and mechanism of the reversible photoswitch of a fluorescent protein. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 102, 37:13070-13074.

Apprill, A., 2003. Spectral characteristics and genetic expression of green fluorescent proteins in Hawaiian corals. In: Molecular Biology of Corals: Results of 2002 Edwin W. Pauley Summer Program in Marine Biology, E. Cox and T. Lewis, eds. University of Hawaii HIMB Technical Report No. 43:6-13.

Baird, G., D. Zacharias and R. Tsien, 2000. Biochemistry, mutagenesis, and oligomerization of DsRed, a red fluorescent protein from coral. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 97(22):11984-11989.

Bandaranayake, W., 1998. Mycosporines: Are they nature’s sunscreens? National Product Review, 1998. 159-172.

Bingman, C., 1995. Green-fluorescent protein: a model for coral host fluorescent proteins? Aquarium Frontiers, 2(3): 6-9.

Bingman, C., 1999. Biochemistry of Aquaria: Coral Fluorescence – An Update. http://www.reefs.org/library/aquariu...ers/index.html

Blundell, A., 2005. Lateral Lines: The Seen and Unseen World of Coral Fluorescence. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/2/lines/

Bulina, M., D. Chudakov, N. Mudrik, and K. Lukyanov, 2002. Interconversion of Anthozoa GFP-like fluorescent and non-fluorescent proteins by mutagenesis. BMC Biochem., 24;3(1):7.

Burr, A., P. Hunt, D. Wagar, S. Dewilde, M. Blaxter, J. Vanfleteren and L. Moens, 2000. A Hemoglobin with an optical function. J. Biol. Chem., 275(7): 4810-4815.

Calfo, A., 2005. Magnificent fluorescence! Aquaristic perspectives. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-11/ac/index.php

Chattoraj, M., B. King, G. Bublitz and S. Boxer, 1996. Ultra-fast excited state dynamics in green fluorescent protein: Multiple states and proton transfer. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 93: 8362-8367.

Chudakov, D., A. Feofanov, N. Mudrik, S. Lukyanov and K. Lukyanov, 2003. Chromophore environment provides clue to “kindling fluorescent protein” riddle. J. Biol. Chem., 278(9):7215-7219.

Cox, G. and A. Salih, 2005. Fluorescent lifetime imaging of symbionts and fluorescent proteins in reef corals. In: Multiphoton Microscopy in the Biomedical Sciences V, edited by A. Periasami and Peter So. Proc. SPIE, 5700:162-170.

Credabel, J., 2006. Notes from the trenches: Coral fusion and grafting. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/nftt/index.php

D’Elia, C., S. Domotor and K. Webb, 1983. Nutrient uptake kinetics of freshly isolated zooxanthellae. Mar. Biol., 75:157-167.

Delbeek, J. and J. Sprung, 1994. The Reef Aquarium: A Comprehensive Guide to the Identification and Care of Tropical Marine Invertebrates. Vol. 1. Ricordea Publishing, Coconut Grove, Fl. 544 pp.

Delbeek, J. and J. Sprung, 2005. The Reef Aquarium: Science, Art and Technology. Vol. 3. Ricordea Publishing, Coconut Grove, Fl. 679 pp.

Dittrich, P., S. Schäfer and P. Schwille, 2005. Characterization of the photoconversion on reaction of the fluorescent protein Kaede on the single-molecule level. Biophys. J., 89:3446-3455.

Dove, S., M. Takabayashi and O. Hoegh-Guldberg, 1995. Isolation and partial characterization of the pink and blue pigments of Pocilloporid and Acroporid corals. Biol. Bull., 189:288-297.

Dove, S., O. Hoegh-Guldberg and S. Ranganathan, 2001. Major color patterns of reef-building corals are due to a family of GFP-like proteins. Coral Reefs 19: 197-204.

Dove, S., 2004. Scleractinian corals with photoprotective host pigments are hypersensitive to thermal bleaching. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser., 272: 99-116.

Dove, S., J. Oritz, S. Enriquez, M. Fine, P. Fisher, R. Iglesias-Prieto, D. Thornhill and O. Hoegh-Guldberg, 2006. Response of holosymbiont pigments from the scleractinian coral Montipora monasteriata to short-term heat stress. Limnol. Oceanogr., 51(2): 1149-1158.

Fabricius, F., 2006. Effects of irradiance, flow and colony pigmentation on the temperature microenvironment around corals: Implications for coral bleaching. Limnol. Oceanogr., 51(1): 30-37.

Fitt, W.K., T.A.V. Rees and D. Yellowlees, 1995. Relationship between pH and the availability of dissolved inorganic nitrogen in the zooxanthella-giant clam symbiosis. Limnol. Oceanogr., 40(5): 976-982.

Fox, D.L. and D.W. Wilkie, 1970. Somatic and skeletally fixed carotenoids of the purple hydrocoral, Allopora californica. Comp. Biochem. Physiol., 36:49-60.

Fox, D.L., 1972. Pigmented calcareous skeletons of some corals. Comp. Biochem. Physiol., 43B:919-927.

Fux, E. and C. Mazel, Unpublished. An experimental method to separate the fluorescence and reflectance components of the spectral signatures of corals.

Fux, E. and C. Mazel, 1999. Unmixing coral fluorescence emission spectra and predicting new spectra under different excitation conditions. Applied Optics. 38, 3: 486-494.

Garcia-Parajo, M., M. Koopman, E. van Dijk, V. Subramaniam, and N.F. van Hulst, 2001. The nature of fluorescence emission in the red fluorescent protein DsRed, revealed by single-molecule detection. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 98(25):14392-14397.

Gentien, P., 1981. Fluorescent metabolites in coral reefs off Townsville, Queensland. Aust. J. Mar. Freshwater Res., 32: 975-980.

Gilmore, A., A. Larkum, A. Salih, S. Itoh, Y. Shibata, C. Bena, H. Yamasaki, M. Papina and R. van Woesik, 2003. Simultaneous time resolution of the emission spectra of fluorescent proteins and zooxanthellar chlorophyll in reef-building corals. Photochem. Photobiol., 77(5): 515-523.

Gorbunov, M. and P. Falkowski, 2002. Photoreceptors in the cnidarian hosts allow symbiotic corals to sense blue moonlight. Limnol. Oceanogr., 47(1): 309-315.

Gross, L., G. Baird, R. Hoffman, K. Baldridge and R. Tsien, 2000. The structure of the chromophore with DsRed, a red fluorescent protein from coral. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 97(22): 11990-11995.

Gulko, D., M. Lesser and M. Ondrusek, 1995. Introduction of materials and methods commonly used by participants in the 1994 HIMB summer program on UV radiation and coral reefs. . In: Ultraviolet Radiation and Coral Reefs. D. Gulko and P.L. Jokiel (eds.), HIMB Technical Report #41, 19-23.

Gurskaya, N., V. Verkhusha, A. Shcheglov, D. Staroverov, T. Chepurnykh, A. Fradkov, S. Lukyanov and K. Lukyanov, 2006. Engineering of a monomeric green-to-red photoactivatable fluorescent protein induced by blue light. Nature Biotechnology, 24: 461-465.

Heim, R., D. Prashner and R. Tsien, 1994. Wavelength mutations and posttranslational autoxidation of green fluorescent protein. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 91: 12501-12504.

Henderson, J. and S. Remington, 2005. Crystal structures and mutational analysis of amFP486, a cyan fluorescent protein from Anemonia majano. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 102, 36: 12712-12717.

Hochberg, E., M. Atkinson, A. Apprill and S. Andrèfouët, 2004. Spectral reflectance of coral. Coral Reefs, 23: 84-95.

Hollingsworth, L., R. Kinzie III, T. Lewis, D. Krupp and J-AC Leong, 2005. Photoaxis of motile zooxanthellae to green light may facilitate symbiont capture by coral larvae. Coral Reefs, 24: 523.

Israel, A. and S. Beer, 1992. Photosynthetic carbon acquisition in the red alga Gracilaria conferta. 2. Rubisco carboxylase kinetics, carbonic anhydrase, and bicarbonate uptake. Mar. Biol., 112:697-700.

Karasawa, S., T. Araki, M. Yamamoto-Hino, and A. Miyawaki, 2003. A green-emitting fluorescent protein from Galaxeidae coral and its monomeric use in fluorescent labeling. J. Biol. Chem., 278:34167-34171.

Karasawa, S., T. Araki, T. Nagai, H. Mizuno and A. Miyawaki, 2004. Cyan-emitting and orange-emitting fluorescent proteins as a donor/acceptor pair for fluorescent resonance energy transfer. Biochem. J., 381(Part 1):307-312.

Khang, S. and A. Salih, 2005. Localization of fluorescent pigments in a nonbioluminescent, azooxanthellate octocorals suggests a photoprotective function. Coral Reefs, 24, 3: 435.

Kawaguti, S., 1937. On the physiology of reef corals II. The effect of light on colour and form of reef corals. Palao Trop. Biol. Sta. Taihoku Imperial University, Taihoku. 2:.

Kawaguti, S., 1944. On the physiology of reef corals VI. Study on the pigments. Palao Trop. Biol. Sta. Study, 2:617-674.

Kawaguti, S., 1966. Electron microscopy on the fluorescent green of reef corals with a note on the mucous cells. Biol. J. Okayama Univ., 12:11-21.

Kelmanson, I. and M. Matz, 2003. Molecular basis and evolutionary origins of color diversity in Great Star coral Montastraea cavernosa (Scleractinia:Faviida). Mol. Biol. Bull., 20,7: 1125-1133.

Kennedy, G.Y., 1979. Pigments of marine invertebrates. Adv. Mar. Biol., 16:309-381.

Kinzie, R.A. and T. Hunter, 1987. Effect of light quality on photosynthesis of the reef coral Montipora verrucosa. Mar. Biol., 94:95-109.

Kirk, J.T.O., 1983. Light and Photosynthesis in Aquatic Ecosystems. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. 401 pp.

Labas, Y., N. Gurskaya, Y. Yanushevich, A. Fradkov, K. Lukyanov, S. Lukyanov, and M. Matz, 2002. Diversity and evolution of the green fluorescent protein family. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 99 (7): 4256-4261.

Larkum, A., G. Cox, R. Hiller, D. Parry and T. Dibbayawan, 1987. Filamentous cyanophytes containing phycocourobilin and in symbiosis with sponges and an ascidian of coral reefs. Mar. Biol., 95(1):1-13.

Logan, A., K. Halcrow and T. Tomascik, 1990. UV excitation-fluorescence in polyp tissue of certain scleractinian corals from Barbados and Bermuda. Bull. Mar. Sci., 46(3):807-813.

Lukyanov, K., A. Fradkov, N. Gurskaya, M. Matz, Y. Labas, A. Savitsky, M. Markelov, A. Zaraisky, X. Zhao, Y. Fang, W. Tan and S. Lukyanov, 2000. Natural animal coloration can be determined by a non-fluorescent green fluorescent protein homolog. J. Biol. Chem., 275(34):25879-25882.

Martynov, V., B. Maksimov, N. Martynova, A. Pakhomov, N. Gurskaya and S. Lukyanov, 2003. A purple-blue chromoprotein from Goniopora tenuidens belongs to the DsRed subfamily of GFP-like proteins. J. Biol. Chem., 278(47):46288-46292.

Matz, M., A. Fradkov, Y. Labas, A. Savitsky, A. Zaraisky, M. Markelov and S. Lukyanov, 1999. Fluorescent proteins from nonbioluminescent Anthozoa species. Nature Biotechnology, 17:969-973.

Mazel, C.H., 1995. Spectral measurements of fluorescence emission in Caribbean cnidarians. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser., 120:185-191.

Mazel, C.H., 1997. Coral fluorescence characteristics: excitation – emission spectra, fluorescence efficiencies, and contribution to apparent reflectance. Ocean Optics XIII. 240-245.

Mazel, C. H., and E. Fuchs, 2003. Contribution of fluorescence to the spectral signature and perceived color of corals. Limnol. Oceanogr. 48:390-401.
Mazel, C., M. Lesser, M. Gorbunov, T. Barry, J. Farrell, K. Wyman and P. Falkowski, 2003. Green fluorescent proteins in Caribbean corals. Limnol. Oceanogr., 48(1, part 2), 402-411.

Mazel, C., M. Lesser, M. Gorbunov and P. Falkowski, 2004. Discovery of nitrogen-fixing cyanobacteria in corals. Science, 305: 997-1000.

Moore, L. and S. Chisolm, 1999. Photophysiology of the marine cyanobacterium Prochlorococcus: Ecotypic diiferences among cultured isolates. Limnol. Oceanogr., 44(3):628-638.

Moseley, H., 1877. On the colouring matter of various animals and especially of deep-sea forms dredged by the H.M.S. Challenger. Quarterly Journal of the Microscopical Society, 17: 1-23.

Myers, M.R., J. T. Hardy, C. H. Mazel, and P. Dustan, 1999. Optical spectra and pigmentation of Caribbean reef corals and macroalgae. Coral Reefs 18: 2, 179-186.

Nienhaus, K., B. Vallone, F. Renzi, J. Wiedenmann and G. Nienhaus, 2003. Crystallization and preliminary X-ray diffraction analysis of the red fluorescent protein eqFP611. Acta Cryst., D59:1253-1255.

Nienhaus, K., G. Nienhaus, J. Wiedenmann and H. Nar, 2005. Structural basis for photo-induced protein cleavage and green-to-red conversion of fluorescent protein EosFP. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., USA, 102(26):9156-9159.

Pakahomov, A., N. Martynova, N. Gurskaya, T. Balashova and V. Martynov, 2004. Photoconversion of the chromophore of a fluorescent protein from Dendronephthya sp. Biochem. (Mosc.), 69(8):901-908.

Papina, M., Y. Sakihama, C. Bena, R. van Woesik and H. Yamasaki, 2002. Separation of highly fluorescent proteins by SDS-PAGE in Acroporidae corals. In press, Comp. Biochem. Physiol..

Paringit, E. and K. Nadaoka, 2001. Development of a canopy reflectance model for coral reef areas: Inferences from field spectral measurements and modeling efforts. Proc. 22nd Asian Conference on Remote Sensing.

Pieribone, V. and D. Gruber, 2005. Aglow in the Dark: The Revolutionary Science of Biofluorescence. The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, Cambridge Massachusetts, and London, England. 263 pp.

Piniak, G., N. Fogarty, C. Addison and W. Kenworthy, 2005. Fluorescence census techniques for coral recruits. Coral Reefs, 24: 496-500.

Prashner, D., V. Enckenrode, W. Ward, F. Pentegast and M. Cormier, 1992. Primary structure of the Aequorea victoria green-fluorescent protein. Gene, 111: 229-233.

Riddle, D., 2006. Product Review: Ocean Optics spectrometers and software. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/6/review

Salih, A., 2003. An exploration of light regulating pigments of reef-building corals from macro- to micro- and nano-scales. In: From Zero to Infinity, J. Nicholls and B. Pailthorpe, eds. The Science Foundation for Physics, University of Sydney. Chapter 4:49-69.

Salih, A., A. Larkum, T. Cronin, J. Wiedenmann, R. Szymczak and G. Cox, 2004. Biological properties of coral GFP-type proteins provide clues for engineering novel optical probes and biosensors. In: Genetically Engineered and Optical Probes for Biomedical Apllications II, A. Savitsky et al., eds. Proc. of SPIE, 5329:61-72.

Salih, A., O. Hoegh-Guldberg and G. Cox, 1998. Photoprotection of symbiotic dinoflagellates by fluorescent pigments in reef corals. Proc. Australian Coral Reef Society, 75th Anniversary Conference, Heron Island, Australia. 217-230.
Salih, A., A. Larkum, G. Cox, M. Kuhl and O. Hoegh-Guldberg, 2000. Fluorescent pigments in corals are photoprotective. Nature, 408: 850-853.
Salih A, Larkum AWD & G Cox , 2001. Photoprotection from photoinhibition of symbiontic algae in corals by fluorescent pigments. 12th International Congress on Photosynthesis, Brisbane, Australia.
Salih, A., G. Cox and A. Larkum, 2003. Cellular organization and spectral diversity of GFP-like proteins in live coral cells studied by single and multiphoton imaging and microspectroscopy. In: Multiphoton Microscopy in the Biomedical Sciences III, A. Periasamy and P. So, Editors. Proc. SPIE, Vol. 4963: 194-200.
Salih A, Larkum AWD & G Cox , 2001. Corals use fluorescent pigments as natural sunscreens. Australian Coral Reef Society Conference, Magnetic island, Australia.
Salih A, Cox G & AWD Larkum, 2000. The role of fluorescent pigments: evidence of enhanced resistance to bleaching in fluorescently pigmented corals. IX International Coral Reef Symposium, Bali, Indonesia.
Salih A., G. Cox & AWD Larkum, 2000. Energy dissipation by fluorescence coupling by coral fluorescent pigments. Optical Society Conference, Application of Optical Techniques in Biological Sciences.
Salih A., Hoegh-Guldberg O, Cox G & AWD Larkum, 1999. Protection against bleaching of corals by fluorescent pigments during the 1998 mass bleaching event. XIX Pacific Science Congress.
Salih A., Hoegh-Guldberg, O. & Cox G., 1999. Are fluorescent colors in corals photoprotective? Australian Coral Reef Society Conference.
Salih, A., Hoegh-Guldberg, O. & Cox G., 1998. Do fluorescent pigments in corals provide photoprotection to their algal endosymbionts and reduce the severity of bleaching? Australian Coral Reef Society Conference.
Salih, A., Hoegh-Guldberg O & Cox G., 1997. Bleaching responses of corals: the effects of light and elevated temperature on their morphology and physiology. Australian Coral Reef Society Conference.
Salih, A., Hoegh-Guldberg O & Cox G., 1997. Photoprotection of symbionts by fluorescent sunscreens in reef corals. Australian Coral Reef Society 75th Anniversary Conference.
Salih A, Cox, G. & O. Hoegh-Guldberg, 1996. Microalgal distribution in whole thick samples: biomass determination by confocal optical imaging. Australian Conference on Electron Microscopy, Sydney, Australia.
Salih, A., Hoegh-Guldberg O & Cox G., 1996. Degradation of zooxanthellae chloroplasts in the scleractinian coral, Pocillopora damicornis, resulting from a short-term acute (32oC) exposure to elevated seawater temperature. 8th Int. Coral Reef Symp., Panama City, Panama.
Salih A, G Cox, Hinde R & O Hoegh-Guldberg, 1995. Structural Changes in zooxanthellae During High Temperature Induced Coral Bleaching Studied by Confocal Laser Scanning Microscopy and Three Dimensional Image Reconstruction. National Conference of the Australian Coral Reef Society, 8-9 July 1995, Southern Cross University, Lismore, NSW.
Schlichter, D., W. Weber and H.W. Fricke, 1985. A chromatophore system in the hermatypic, deep water coral Leptoseris fragilis (Anthozoa: Hexacorallia). Mar. Biol. 89:143-147.
Schlichter, D., H.W. Fricke and W. Weber, 1986. Light harvesting by wavelength transformation in a symbiotic coral of the Red Sea twilight zone. Mar. Biol., 91:403-407.

Schonwald, H., Y. Achituv, and Z. Dubinsky, 1987. Differences in the symbiotic interrelation in dark and light coloured colonies of the hydrocoral Millepora dichotoma. Symbiosis 4:171-184.

Shagin, D., E. Barsova, Y. Yanushevich, A. Fradkov, K. Lukyanov, Y. Labas, T. Semenova, J. Ugalde, A. Meyers, J. Nunez, E. Widder, S. Lukyanov and M. Matz, 2004. GFP-like proteins as ubiquitous metazoan superfamily: Evolution of functional features and structural complexity. Mol. Biol. Evol., 21(5):841-850.

Shibata, K., 1969. Pigments and a UV-absorbing substance in corals and a blue-green alga living in the Great Barrier Reef. Plant and Cell Physiol., 10: 325-335.

Shimomura, O., F. Johnson and Y. Saiga, 1962. J. Cell Comp. Physiol. 59:223-239.

Shkrob, M., Y. Yanushevich, D. Chudakov, N. Gurskaya, Y. Labas, S. Poponov, N. Mudrik, S. Lukyanov and K. Lukyanov, 2005. Far-red fluorescent proteins evolved from a blue chromoprotein from Actinia equina. Biochem. J., On-line publication.

Sole-Cava, L.M., and J.P. Thorpe, 1992. Genetic divergence between the color morphs in populations of the common intertidal sea anemones Actinia equina and A. prasina (Anthozoa: Actiniaria) in the Isle of Man. Mar. Biol. 112:243-252.

Sprung, J. and J. Delbeek, 1997. The Reef Aquarium – A Comprehensive Guide to the Identification and Care of Tropical Marine Invertebrates, Vol. 2. Ricordea Publishing, Coconut Grove, Florida. 546 pp.

Takabayashi, M. and O. Hoegh-Guldberg, 1995. Ecological and physiological differences between the two colour morphs of the coral Pocillopora damicornis. Mar. Biol., 123: 705-714.

Terskikh, A., A. Fradkov, A. Zaraisky, A. Kajava and B. Angres, 2002. Analysis of red mutants. Space around the fluorophore accelerates fluorescence development. J. Biol. Chem., 277(10):7633-7636.

Todd, P., R. Sidle and L. Chou, 2002. Plastic corals from Singapore: 1. Coral Reefs, 21(4):391.

Todd, P., R. Sidle and L. Chou, 2002a. Plastic corals from Singapore: 2. Coral Reefs, 21(4):407.

Todd, P., R. Sidle and L. Chou, 2003. Erratum: Plastic corals from Singapore: 1. Coral Reefs, 22(3):306.

Tsien, R., 1998. The green fluorescent protein. Annu. Rev. Biochem.m 67:509-544.

Tsutsui, H., S. Karasawa, H. Shimizu, N. Nukina and A. Miyawaki, 2005. Semi-rational engineering of a coral fluorescent protein into an efficient highlighter. EMBO Reports. 6:233-238.

Verkhusha, V. and K. Lukyanov, 2004. The molecular properties and applications of Anthozoa fluorescent proteins and chromoproteins. Nature Biotechnology, 22(3):289-296.

Wachter, R. and S. Remington, 1999. Sensitivity of the yellow variant of GFP to halides and nitrate. Curr. Biol., 9(17);R627-R630.

Wiedenmann, J., C. Elke, K-D. Spindler, and W. Funke, 2000. Cracks in the beta-can: Fluorescent proteins from Anemonia sulcata (Anthozoa, Actinaria). Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 97(26): 14091-14096.

Wiedenmann, J., A. Schenk, C. Röcker, A. Girod, K-D. Spindler and G. Nienhaus, 2002. A far-red fluorescent protein with fast maturation and reduced oligomerization tendency from Entacmaea quadricolor (Anthozoa, Actinaria). Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 99, 18: 11646-11651.

Wiedenmann, J., A. Schenk, C. Röcker, A. Girod, K-D. Spindler and G. Nienhaus, 2002a. Correction for: A far-red fluorescent protein with fast maturation and reduced oligomerization tendency from Entacmaea quadricolor (Anthozoa, Actinaria). Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 99, 20:14091-14096.

Wiedenmann, J., S. Ivanchenko, F. Oswald, F. Schmitt, C. Röcker, A. Salih, K-D. Splinder and G. Nienhaus, 2004. EosFP, a fluorescent marker protein with UV-inducible green-to-red fluorescence conversion. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 101(45):15905-15910.

Wilmann, P., J. Battad, T. Beddoe, S. Olsen, S. Smith, S. Dove, R. Devenish, J. Rossjohn and M. Prescott, 2005. The 2.0 Å crystal structure of a pocilloporan at pH 3.5: The structural basis for the linkage between color transition and halide binding. Photochem. Photobiol., 82(2):359-66.

Yampolsky, I., S. Remington, V. Martynov, V. Potapov, S. Lukyanov and K. Lukyanov, 2005. Synthesis and properties of the chromophore of the asFP595 chromoprotein from Anemonia sulcata. Biochem., 44(15):5788-5793.

Yanushevic, Y., M. Bulina, N. Gurskaya, A. Savitskii and K. Lukyanov, 2002. Key amino acid residues responsible for the color of green and yellow fluorescent proteins from the coral polyp Zoanthus sp. Russian Journal of Bioorganic Chemistry, 28(4): 274-277.

Zawada, D. and J. Jaffe, 2003. Changes in the fluorescence of the Caribbean coral Montastraea faveolata during heat-induced bleaching. Limnol. Oceanogr., 481(1, part 2):412-425.
Old 11/08/2007, 02:23 AM
Registered Member

Aloha Hahnmeister,

I need to digest your comments before making mine. A two-day business trip to Honolulu really mucks up the important things in life ;-).

Will get back to you Saturday, if not sooner.

Dana
Old 11/08/2007, 03:46 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Sure sure... no problem.
Old 11/08/2007, 07:56 PM
Ozone Sniffer

Dana,
Have you done any research with colored films or theatrical gels and sunlight?

I have 2- 4x4' sheets of 3/8" Starphire that I'd like to build a large skylight with, and possibly use gels to "tune" the light for better color.

Do you see any drawbacks?

Thanks for sharing all of your research, and taking time to communicate with those of us with a lot to learn!
Chris

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"
Old 11/08/2007, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

There are other reasons that colorful corals could have a lower electron transport rate (as demonstrated by various researchers).
Fabricius showed that colorful corals retain less heat than colorful ones. Does this play any role at all? No one to my knowledge has connected the dots on this one.
The zooxanthella clade could play a difference - some adjust to light intensity by adjusting their numbers, some adjust the PSU size. Some are heat or bleaching resistant due to the chemical compostion of the thyllakoid membranes. Color might have nothing to do with their photosynthetic capacity.

Sure, I would never argue that we are at all certain about what these proteins do or how exactly they do it.

A friend was meaning to work on the effects of colony pigmentation on sensitivity of the zoox. to temperature stress, but I'm not sure how much she's been able to get done with that. Darker or more colorful colonies do tend to be warmer than lighter or unpigmented colonies, and that microtemperature could exert selective pressure against those colored corals during high temperature stress, as suggested by work from Fabricius et al.

The bulk of my friend's work deals with looking at differences in susceptibility to temp stress and connecting that to differences in thylakoid membrane composition (and hence fluidity).

Generally zoox. make adjustments for differences in light intensity by changing PSU size and pigment density, but not by changing their density within the coral. That would increase shading on each zooxanthella--how could that be used as a mechanism to reduce light limitation? Besides, many studies have shown that zoox. density is similar over a range of depths in a given coral.

But having said all of this, I still don't see any reason that we should think light spectrum incident on the corals should affect the production of pigments that we agree may or may not have anything to do with the fact that they interact with light.

Smarty pants ;-). The point is that spectrum is often an important part of photochemical responses. I don't have time to pick through the references, so I'll cut-and-paste a partial list - there are some real gems buried in the biomedical literature!

Ha, Yes, spectrum can play a part in biochemical responses, but only when spectrum is an important factor in the functioning of these processes.

For example, there's no reason that insulin production in our body should be affected by the color our eyes see. There would be no benefit to doing so. On the other hand, there IS benefit to detecting increases in UVR and UVR damage. Thus, when exposed to increased UVR, we tan.

I'll take a look through that lit. list when I get a chance.

Chris

Old 11/09/2007, 02:23 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Quote:
Originally posted by H20ENG
Dana,
Have you done any research with colored films or theatrical gels and sunlight?

I have 2- 4x4' sheets of 3/8" Starphire that I'd like to build a large skylight with, and possibly use gels to "tune" the light for better color.

Do you see any drawbacks?

Thanks for sharing all of your research, and taking time to communicate with those of us with a lot to learn!
Chris
Ive done that actually. In Chicago, a 8'x8' 1500g tank with a 6x6 area of skylights over it. I used 3x 12"x72" strips (a 36x72 sheet) of transparent blue acrylic to filter 1/2 the light coming through the skylight... very effective. Sure, it cuts down the total output, but its not like it matters... its a huge skylight! Otherwise, the 40-some blue and actinic T5 bulbs over the edges of the tank fill in the rest.
Old 11/10/2007, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

Aloha H2OENG-

I have done some work with gels and filters, mostly with calculating which filter to use to give a desired result.
There is a formula to determine affects of filters on the ultimate Kelvin Rating and is called the Mired Shift Value. It is:

1,000,000 - 1,000,000 = Mired Shift Value
Desired Kelvin Rating Lamp Kelvin Rating

Example:
Determine the Mired Shift Value to alter Kelvin Rating from 3,200°K to 20,000°K:

1,000,000 - 1,000,000 = 50 – 313 = - 263
20,000 3,200

In this case, a Roscolux™ Double Blue Filter #3220 will give the desired result. Mired Shift Values are an industry standard; determine the Mired Shift Value and contact a theatrical supply house for advice for the correct filter in other applications.

Probably better to use colored acrylic than gels.

Dana
Old 11/11/2007, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

Aloha Hahnmeister,

Its a bit like this... when Home Depot was changing all their halides out for T5s, at the 50/50 point, you could look into the halide section of the store, and things were bright, sure, but 'duller' in a way. When I looked at the T5 lit side, all the colors seemed to 'pop' more, esp the bright orange color on all the racking... almost like with a blacklight... but these are all 3000K and 6500K GE bulbs.

There are several possibilities.
1. The T5 lamps produce more warm wavelengths (they are 3000 and 6500K lamps, correct?), and the warmer colors are simply better showcased under this spectrum.
2. The paint Home Depot uses has a fluorescent additive, as do some of the inks on product packaging to make them immediately visually appealing. Perhaps the spectrum of the T5’s excited these fluorescent pigments, did not ‘wash them out’ or a combination of both.
3. The metal halide lamps were horrible (spectrally-speaking) and tended to make everything appear dull.

I have observed similar things with T5s in the home reef as well. It seems that there is something in the light spectrum that allows corals to color up better than with halides, even when under lower light levels for some otherwise light-greedy acros.

Obviously we have changed gears here, and are talking biochemical responses to a stimulus. I suspect some of the coloration you’re seeing is due to coral pigments NOT bleaching. It is quite common for some corals to lose pigmentation if there is too much light, or if the photoperiod is too long.

The pigments arent just picked up by the T5s in some way for how I see them, but they change all together. I can get orange whorling cap to color up into a neon red color, and Blue tortuosa to light up this way as well.

The orange caps will turn pastel orange if bleached (in this case, probably due to loss of photopigments). By the same token, the increase of zoox (or their photopigments) as a result of lower light intensity can cause the coral to take on a different color – usually a deep orange or reddish-orange).

And it wasnt just because of variation in spectrum.

Agreed – I think the coloration responses are due to intensity (but I have a lot of spec work to do before making a flat statement).

I can literally grow corals faster and with better coloration with T5s than with halides. I thought that with my new halide + T5 combo, I would get this still, if not more... but this just isnt so. Just wondering if there is some explaination for this.
The same result can be had with LEDs. I think we’re observing results of a hospitable environment for pigments (no photo-bleaching, which can cause ‘pasteling’ of colors). At the same time, lower light intensity is causing a shift in zoox photopigments or cell density, which of course changes the reflectance pattern.

You’ve got a PAR meter, don’t you? Some intensity numbers could help us nail this down.

Dana
Old 11/12/2007, 12:04 AM
Ozone Sniffer

Thanks for the info Dana!

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"
Old 11/12/2007, 02:41 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Okay, I have a pink prostrata with blue tips. This is the best example. I would have to keep it under at least 300, if not 400+ microMol/m2/s of light with halides for it to color up. If I put it in 250 or less, it would 'brown out'.

Under T5s, it was under 350 at most... at the very tips, and sometimes it was on the sand... and it turned neon.

With the orange cap, funny you should mention... Since the new tank with the light mover, I put the deep neon blood red cap in a corner so it wouldnt bleach out or anything. Flow was pretty constant as it was in the 'backwash' from a Tunze stream. Anyways, it started to bleach out from the center/bottom out. The light level in the corner it was in was 100-180 (depending on light mover). I had to move it up the side of a rock, so it would get 400+ when the halide came over it. Now its coloring in darker and quickly regrowing... reverse of what I thought.

I too was thinking the corals were coloring in better due to lower light, but if I tried lower light with the halides, the corals just faded, and sometimes bleach.
Old 11/12/2007, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

Hahnmeister,
>>Okay, I have a pink prostrata with blue tips. This is the best example. I would have to keep it under at least 300, if not 400+ microMol/m2/s of light with halides for it to color up. If I put it in 250 or less, it would 'brown out'.<<

You're saying it lost pink color? Blue color? Both?

>>Under T5s, it was under 350 at most... at the very tips, and sometimes it was on the sand... and it turned neon.<<

Neon - meaning green fluorescence? Which T5s are you using? I did a lot of T5 work for Sunlight Supply years ago. That data is on the Conscientious Aquarist site. It would be interesting look at your spectral quality.

>>With the orange cap, funny you should mention... Since the new tank with the light mover, I put the deep neon blood red cap in a corner so it wouldnt bleach out or anything. Flow was pretty constant as it was in the 'backwash' from a Tunze stream. Anyways, it started to bleach out from the center/bottom out. The light level in the corner it was in was 100-180 (depending on light mover). I had to move it up the side of a rock, so it would get 400+ when the halide came over it. Now its coloring in darker and quickly regrowing... reverse of what I thought.<<

Did we calculate the light dosage on this 'mover', maybe a year ago? I'd like to re-visit the intensity numbers again.

Thanks-
Dana
Old 11/12/2007, 02:15 PM
El Jefe de WRS

The prostrata is pink with blue tips, and yes, when it loses color, the whole corals just turns brown.

Where the orange cap is now, its PAR is at a minimum 200, and maxes out at over 400... so its average is something in between... 300? This is waaay more than normal it seems.

It makes me wonder if the time under the T5s chaged the coral in some way besides color. This one seems adapted to much higher lighting levels than the other colony I have sitting on the sand. If I give that one too much light, it starts to fade/bleach. I have to keep it under 200 or less.