Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/28/2007, 08:47 AM
Unregistered Member

NiGHTS into Dreams on the Wii?!?!?!? (Please read)

Ok, I'm by no means a gamer and therefore do not participate in gaming forums, so this is where I come to post my excitement. A friend has recently sparked some SERIOUS nastalgia. I can't believe I have been in the dark for so long...

Anyway, if anyone is familiar with the Sega Saturn ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Saturn ), it was a seriously revolutionary gaming console. It introduced the first console-based web browsing, console-based network play, 3D graphics on a 2D console, and was a more powerful machine than the PS1, and came out before the PS1.

Sega has always been known for their in-depth and involved fantasy games. Anyone familiar with the Sega Saturn has probably at least heard of NiGHTS into Dreams ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nights_into_dreams ). In 2005 it was voted by IGN to be the 3rd largest cult game, despite its obscurity. I have at least twice purchased a Sega Saturn on eBay just to play this game.

CPU: Two 32-bit SH-2 (28.6MHz) RISC processors
RAM: 2MB, Video RAM: 1.5MB
Colors: 16.7 million
Polygons: 200,000 texture-mapped, 500,000 flat-shaded per second
Game Media: CD-ROM
Resolution: 704x480
Sound: 32-channel PCM, 8-channel FM stereo

^^^^ That was a little over 10 years ago.

Ok, onto the good news. This morning I starting searching for NiGHTS into Dreams images while immersed in NiGHTS nastalgia. A few links down I see a rumor from 2006 ABOUT A SEQUAL TO NiGHTS!!!! I have been searching non-stop about this rumor. It appears that it is true!!

I got sega saturn the moment it came out. I paired the Sega Netlink ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_NetLink ) with it, allowing me to surf the web and play people in 1 of the 5 online games. You went into an IRC chat room and found someone to play. One person programmed the other persons phone number into their console and it dialed over the telephone line the other Saturn. It was a direct connection and the first ever online gaming. At the same time the WWW was new. Just a few years old. Everything was free and nobody ever heard of eBay, amazon, reefcentral, toyota.com, nothing. Online marketing had hardly taken off. And this was the time that I mastered HTML. Geocities (later purchased by Yahoo) offered a free web page hosting service (with no ads) and had an online HTML editor. So I went from an online HTML reference site copying down HTML tags with pen and paper as I didn't have a computer and the Sega Saturn did not multi-task.

Sega Saturn was the first of it's kind in so many ways. It was an amazing time to be part of gaming and there are so many memories of someone calling my Sega for online gaming and being part of something so momentous. There was a poll done with 4-5 games that were selectable as needing a sequel. NiGHTS was on the list and received almost 10,000 votes totalling 55%!!!

Although the gameplay was the first of its kind and had one of the most spectacular fantasy-type soundtracks, kids today probably wouldn't find a lot of interest in it. If ANYONE has heard of this game or more importantly played it, I would love to see some comments. It's difficult to capture the feelings that time created...
Old 03/28/2007, 09:14 AM
Eternally Discombobulated

This game looks pretty cool! I have never heard of it but I can just imagine what the sequel could look like on the Wii.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the original game turned up on the Wii shopping channel at some point because you can already purchase some "old" games from Sega to play on the Wii now. The Wii shopping channel allows you to purchase games from the original NES, Super NES, N64, Sega, and Turbo Grafix. The downside is that they only release a couple of the older titles per week so it's going to be a LONG time before you get a substantial library of classics built up.

But it's still a neat idea especially for us nostalgia gamers. I've been playing Kid Icarus the last couple nights on the Wii along with Super Mario World (Super NES) and the missus has been playing Kirby. I think I will download the original Zelda next. The hilarious part is how hard some of these games are! Sounds silly but they are pretty darn tough! I got through Ratchet & Clank pretty quick but I'll be darned if I can get past the second level of Kid Icarus!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 03/28/2007, 09:57 AM
Where's My Jell-O?

I am not showing this thread to my kids!

Melting!
Old 03/28/2007, 11:14 AM
Moved forward

had that one... got very hard... never did finish it...
Old 03/28/2007, 11:53 AM
Unregistered Member

I think I am going to get the Wii.. anyone have anything good or bad to say about it?
Old 03/28/2007, 11:57 AM
Unregistered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 2fishy
I am not showing this thread to my kids!

Awww, why not?
Old 03/28/2007, 12:04 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by davidryder
I think I am going to get the Wii.. anyone have anything good or bad to say about it?
i want a wiii so freaking bad they seeem so cool and are destroying the PS3 in sales
i know the ps3 is amazing but the wii seems more fun and cheaper
Old 03/28/2007, 12:12 PM
Moved forward

wii is the way to go. hands down.
Old 03/28/2007, 01:01 PM

We finally got a Nintendo Wii a few weeks ago and LOVE IT!!! While I love my PS2 and all my RPG's and platformers I have to say that the Wii is the most fun I've ever had with a console. The contorllers are amazing and unique, the system is easy to use, and there are, and will be, a bunch of great add-ons to enhance the experience further.

If you can get your hands on one I highly recommend it. As a matter of fact I just finished my first Wii game a couple weeks ago...Rayman Raving Rabbids...a bunch of mini-games involving psychotic rabbits that are freakin' hilarious. Now we cannot wait until Paper Mario comes out on April 9th.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 03/28/2007, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

I have had my Wii for about 2 months and am completly addicted. I am a pro in all but 1 of the Wii sports categories. Love the new Zelda for it.
Old 03/28/2007, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

We got the Wii for x-mas. LOVE IT!! It's the only game console I'll play.

Void mentioned Raving Rabbids a few weeks ago so I went out and got it last week. The kids looked at me funny when I first brought it home thinking it was going to be stupid but they really like it. I haven't had a chance to play it yet though.

Oh shut up, and kiss my fairy wrasse. ~Gawain1974~

silly girls make stuff hard ~drauka99~
Old 03/28/2007, 04:40 PM
Unregistered Member

So the gyroscopic controller is really usable/practical? Have you ever wanted to use a regular controller?
Old 03/28/2007, 05:00 PM
Moved On

Oh my god!!! I remember that game. I've never played it but I always wanted to but my parents didn't let me play video games when I was little. If that comes out on Wii, I will definitely buy it. I remember how revolutionary it was at the time and how the controller was special so you coult control the flying and stuff. And also panzer dragoon!!! I miss the sega systems, I wish they still made consoles.

I've got a Wii but I haven't had the time to play it much. I must say though that the controls are pretty cool. I basically have only played the Wii sports game but I have Zelda and Call of Duty. Boxing with 2 players is really fun!!! They are releasing a normal controller soon I think so that you can play the old nintendo games on the Wii, which you can dload online.
Old 03/28/2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by davidryder
So the gyroscopic controller is really usable/practical? Have you ever wanted to use a regular controller?
For the classic games you need to use a more classic controller. Some will allow use of the Wiimote but for others you need the "Wii Classic Controller" which plugs into the Wiimote. It's a hybrid of the controllers from the NES, SNES, and N64. For GameCube games you can use standard GameCube controllers if you have them as well as the GameCube memory cards and discs.

The Wiimote has to be one of the most interesting and amazing controllers I have yet to use in video gaming. Wireless, infrared, and gyro...heck of a combo.

Oh, and as to Rayman Raving Rabbids....here's the official site, check it out and don't forget the sound!
http://raymanzone.us.ubi.com/ravingrabbids/index.html

Old 03/28/2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

the wii looks very fun
but i think that wikipedia should be used for a good source of info
cause the ps1 was a way better system and when games were on both systems the ps version was way better looking and the ps1 sold way more units
Old 04/04/2007, 06:03 PM
Moved forward

http://games.slashdot.org/games/07/04/04/181229.shtml

the game weather will be from the forcast channel....
Old 04/04/2007, 08:58 PM
Unregistered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Altpers0na
http://games.slashdot.org/games/07/04/04/181229.shtml

the game weather will be from the forcast channel....
I'm definitely getting a Wii. NiGHTS Into Dreams II has been confirmed. 11 years later. WOW! This will be the first current game system I have bought since the Saturn.

THANKS!
Old 04/04/2007, 09:07 PM
Moved forward

wii is the best game system going barring an adjusted psp. and for the price of a ps3 you can get both with games...
Old 12/12/2007, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

nights: journey into dreams comes out in 6 days.
Old 12/12/2007, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

I remember that game! I may have to get it..

davidryder - Everyone else has already said it but Ill say it again, the wii Kicks booty! If you can find one get it, you wont be sorry.
Old 12/12/2007, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

Here is some more info on Nights: journey into dreams http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/n...g_soon;title;3
Old 12/13/2007, 01:16 AM
Registered Member

wii is cool.. very fun and interactive ... ( make sure to make a "safe" proximity area as you play, you never know who or what your gonna hit...) get the rechagable controler w/ base.. it's worth it.. ( actually it come with 2 litium batteries and 1 controler and recharge base) wii is really unique... fun for the whole fam... and yes!! i remember NiGhTs!!! had the game but never finished it.. it was fun flying though those rings and all but im more of a FPS .... as for internet... thats been around for a while.. just not like how it is today... i remember logging into BBS ( took hours to connect.. and there would only have like 3 or 4 people on.. grapics was ANSI irrc) anyhow.. the days of legond of the green dragon, food fight, tradewars and so many other.. i wonder how you would play NIGHTs on the WII.... controller /chucks?? turn the wiimote sideways ( it turns into the OG NES controller ... imma try the contra 30 man code just to see.. lol ) i bet the grapics is going to be BAd ARSE .. the og NIGHTS grafic was awsome !!!

YzGyz

2nd best way is to learn from ones own mistakes but the best way to learn is from others...

thx to Randy and so many other for making reefing that much easier