Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/01/2006, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

tom obrecht that is probabley number two of the nicest tanks i have ever seen i think you have to manny fish but your filter is nuts nice refugium and evything else is rediculous you must be rich
Old 11/01/2006, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

There is a guy in FL who sells some pretty cool Gorgs. he is a www.divertom.com
Old 11/01/2006, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

how can u tell if a gorg/seafan is photosynthetic or not? or are all of them.. not.
Old 11/01/2006, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

white polyps is probably a sign that they're not photosynthetic.

brown-ish polyps is an indicator that there is zooanthelle in the polyps.

there are a few readily available photosynthetic "purple stem w/ brownish polyps" gorgonians, and have growth patterns in both 2-dimensional branching, and 360 degree branching. I've also seen red base with blue polyps, and purple base with bright yellow polyps, but I'm not sure if those are photosynthetic. even though its photosynthetic, I'm sure it would benefit from weekly feedings of some zoo or phytoplankton. Oddly enough, I've even seen mine try to grab and eat brine shrimp.

hope this helps.

~Josh
Old 11/01/2006, 09:19 PM
Joliet Area Reef Club

check out the ones this guy has, under soft corals i think www.sealifeflorida.com

Old 11/01/2006, 10:51 PM
Hopelessly undecided

Generally, as scuba_josh said, you can use polyp colour to tell apart the photosynthetic from the non-photosynthetic. However the photosynthetic ones will benefit greatly from planktonic feedings. My gorgs go nuts over cyclops-eeze.

All of the species listed in this article are photosynthetic:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...004/invert.htm
Old 11/04/2006, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

I have a purple gorgonian which has some red leaves growing on a couple of branches. I can't find any information as to what this is. It is really pretty and looks like red leaves on a tree. I am pretty sure it is not some kind of algae as I don't have an algae problem in my tank, including red algae.

Anyone know what this is? I have had this gorgonian for about 6 weeks and the red "blooms" started after I put it in my tank.

My lawnmower blenny is really messing around with this gorg and takes a branch shaking "bite" whenever he goes by it and also is starting to grab and tear off this pretty red stuff! I don't really want him to do this...

Susie

"You learn something new everyday"!