Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/22/2006, 02:10 PM
Premium Member

Questions on Cyanobacteria and treatment methods

Hey everyone,

Its been a while since I last posted here on RC but I figured its high time for me to get back into things.

I am currently trying to research Cyanobacteria in marine aquariums and how to treat tanks with problems in this area. I wanted to ask for any information that you guys can supply for my research.

My general questions I am trying to gather answers on are the basics:

What is Cyanobacteria?

What are the typical causes for its appearance in marine aquaria?

What are some methods and practices an aquarist can use to avoid outbreaks?

And what steps can one take to treat a tank with a cyano outbreak?

Any information you can provide will help me in my research and I thank you for anything you can offer.

-Aaron
Old 10/22/2006, 02:58 PM
30 year and over club

This is actually an easy one but may require a long explanation that I will try to make simple. Red algae or Cyanobacteria is not algae but a bacteria. Having said that we must understand that there are two processes going on in our tanks (or any body of water) all the time. Oxydation and reduction. This is called Redox and is measured in milivolts. The higher the reading, the purer the water is. Freshly mixed seawater reads about 230 and anything under that means that the water is not as pure as when it was mixed. As things start to decay and algae and microbes die the redox lowers. When it gets low enough cyanobacteria will grow. It is a sure sign of deteriating water conditions. Red algae or cyanobacteria contains carotenes which are anti-oxidants, they prevent oxidation. Anyway that is not too important in this forum (And I am a little sketchy on it myself) but to defeat it you have to raise the redox level. This can be acomplished a few ways. We can remove some of the reducing compounds like dying algae, clean filters to remove rotting organic matter or the best way by using a strong oxidative agent. Ozone is the strongest thing we can use in an aquarium. Ozone is used up as it oxidizes organic material. As a matter of fact, if there is any free ozone in water it means it has the highest redox level possable because it is not being used up burning organics. As good as that sounds we do not want that situation because ozone will also burn the gills of fish and attempt to oxidize our corals thereby killing them.
We want to use ozone in a skimmer where all the ozone will be utililized in the skimmer and none of it will be released into the tank. If enough ozone is used there can be no red algae because the redox is too high.
That is the reason "Chemi Clean" will kill cyanobacteria. It is an oxidation agent like ozone and it will raise the redox. Hydrogen peroxidide will also as will bleach (but don't use that) Thats how bleach works, it oxidizes organic compounds which many stains are.
It is rumored that high water flow will kill cyano, it will not.
Have a great day.
Paul
Old 10/22/2006, 04:37 PM
Reef Chemist

There are different commercial treatments for cyanobacteria around. I am not sure what they all are. Some are antibiotics and some have unstated ingredients and mechanisms.

My preference is to deal with cyanobacteria by reducing nutrients (nitrate and phosphate especially, but also including organics by skimming, ozone, carbon, etc) and increasing water flow.
Old 10/22/2006, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

Thank you both for your input. I have been surfing around and reading through pages concerning cyanobacteria and I have to say that there is much more to learn about this than I first thought! I have tried to focus my search on cyanobacteria as it occurs in marine environments but even then there are tons of material to sift through.

So far what I have gathered seems to support exactly what Randy suggests - eliminating Phosphates and nitrates, as well as DOC from within the water column.

I have also read that the lighting in the aquarium can be part of the problem. Which makes sense considering that photosynthesis is one of the mechanisms that the bacterium uses to fuel its growth. I have read that the specific ranges of 560 - 620 nm is where these organisms are most active, but that they also do well in the ranges of 665 - 680 nm. How does this equate to aquarium bulbs? Does this mean that a brighter/whiter bulb would be better to stunt the growth of cyano than a bluer actinic bulb?

I would expect that if you could eliminate the available nutrients then the lighting would be inconsequential, and you wouldn't really need to consider it beyond noting that it may be time to change out your bulbs because of age.

I am a little confused on the oxydation point however. I have read that cyano bacteria, through photosynthesis, produce oxygen as a byproduct. Would this not help to raise oxydation within the environment, or am I not seeing the bigger picture here?

At this point I have gathered the following to be the standard for preventing cyano in the marine aquarium:

1) Make use of RO/DI filtered water as your source water for the aquarium.

2) Maintain good water quality through routine maintenance, water changes, and the use of a Protein Skimmer to reduce the levels of DOC in the tank and to aid in oxidation of the water.

3) Provide good circulation throughout the tank.

Is there anything else that should be added?

Thank again for all you input!

Aaron