Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/08/2006, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy My tank is leaking.....NOOO!!!!

Today my order of seio 1500's(2) came in. I was so excited to put them in. One of them i did and works great... the other was broken so i have to send it back and get a new one. Anyways a while after i put the powerhead in i noticed some water was dripping from the back of the tank. first i thought the powerhead might be throwing out water from the top because its so strong.but later i found out that i was wrong. The water is coming out from the upper corner of the tank where the silicon is. The water isnt leaking much. I let the tank sit for about 5 hours and i have only gotten one inch of water that came out the tank. So later on my mom( yes i still live with my mom...im 14) told me to move the powerhead away from the leaking silicon which i did and the water stopped coming out. Now im wonderiing should i put silicon on the top corner or leave it alone? If i do put silicon should i empty the tank so that only the top has no water or empty the whole tank?? i need your help!!!!! Below i have posted some pics. The first one is a pic of the side of the tank. The red box is where the powerhead was at first. The second pic is where it is leaking from(red square around the leak). Third pic is where the powerhead is now( and the tank is not leaking because i moved the powerhead). Help me out plz!!! Thanks

~Ali Saleem

"I'll believe it when I see it"
Old 03/08/2006, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

Old 03/08/2006, 08:34 PM
Mortar Target

As the saying goes, you can do it right or you can do it twice.

Me personally, I would empty the tank and redo the entire seam. This would include removing all of the silicon on that particular seam. Then it would have to sit for at least 24 hours to cure properly.

Then again, you may get away with taking out some of the water and doing a quick fix.
Old 03/08/2006, 08:35 PM
Premium Member

I don't think I would drain the tank. Can you lower it enough to get the silicone in there? If you can try that to begin with. If it is only leaking from the top then it's not a life and death yet.

And if it solves the problem then you are good to go.

Pat
2 X 150 MH
2 X 96 watt PC Actinic
2 Clarki Clowns (27 months old)
1 Niger Trigger (Owned 2 months)
2 Tunze 6055 PH
Old 03/08/2006, 08:38 PM
Premium Member

Unfortunately fixing a silicone leak is not as simple as "patching it up" with a little more on top. Silicone does not bond well to older cured silicone. I have a similar circumstance with my 55 gallon tank leaking out of the seam in the back-right corner of the tank.

I purchased my tank used and the seal along the verticle seams is pathetically thin, almost non-existant. I have had to empty the water out of the tank and let it sit and dry. Then I took a razor blade and trimmed the old silicone out making sure I didn't leave any little bit on. During this I realized that if I just redid the verticle seams then there will be a chance that the new seams will not bond properly where the bottom seams are cured and this would cause micro holes at the bottom of the tank where the water pressure is greatest and it would likely springs 4 leaks at each corner. So I am playing it safe and just removing all the old silicone and am going to redo the entire tank.

After I put the new seams in I will need to let it sit for a few days to cure properly before I leak test it. It's a pain, but a necessary evil I suppose for anyone who gets into this hobby. I am using this to gain experiance before I attempt to build my next project - a 330 gallon (280 with a 6" sand bed in it) so I don't mind so much. It's a good thing this appeared during the cycle when the tank was empty I would not have liked having to relocate any livestock while I take my time in attempting to fix this.

This raises the question, what all do you have in the tank?

Best of luck, and don't let this get you down, experience is always a plus in this hobby!

Aaron
Old 03/08/2006, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PatMayo
I don't think I would drain the tank. Can you lower it enough to get the silicone in there? If you can try that to begin with. If it is only leaking from the top then it's not a life and death yet.

And if it solves the problem then you are good to go.

Pat

thats the easy way to go. but half are saying empty the whole thing and the other half are saying just empty so the top part is empty(which i can do)? empty all or just the top?

Old 03/08/2006, 09:03 PM
Premium Member

You can take Pat's advice and remove the portion of the silicone where it is leaking and just patch up that area. Since it is located high up you may be able to get away with it, and if not then no big deal since you're only back where you started.

Few things to keep in mind: allow the area to dry fully before applying the new silicone and use a razor to remove any grime before applying the new silicone. Allow 36-48 hours for the silicone to cure properly before allowing it to submerse in water for leak testing. And try not to let any stray silicone enter the tank.

Good luck, I wish you success. And keep us posted on your progress.