Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/13/2005, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

Damaged Bubble Coral???

I posted the following in my local reef club, maybe someone here can help me. To update this posting I fed it a half raw clam today and it ate it.

Damaged Bubble Coral ???
Hello All,
I got a bubble coral shipped via Fedex yesterday morning. The bag it was shipped in had no water and the skeleton was all beat up, there were about 4 pieces of the skeleton in the bottom of the bag. I put the coral right in my tank with out acclimating it thinking the coral would be better off with at least SOME water. I noticed in my tank that there were about 6 or 7 pieces of the skeleton that were broken off and folded down amongst the bubbles, should I pull these off or will it just shed them on its own? I don't want to damage it more than it already is. Also there is quite a bit of tissue damage, I am hoping it will recover, If I feed this thing, do you think it will recover faster, or should I let it recover first? It opened better today, last night, after lights out, it looked like it was struggling to send up the feeder tentacles. Any help would be appreciated, this is my first bubble.
TYIA
Mike.
*BTW, I emailed all the above questions to the vendor I bought it from and have yet to get a response, I did that about an hour after I got it.

Old 10/13/2005, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

i had a similar problem - i moved out west and left some of my lps corals with a friend to ship out when i was ready -- he shipped them ups next day, but they had a "problem" and the corals didnt come until the following day, all the bags had very little water in them w/no O2 left ( plus they smelled terrible) i acclimated them as fast as possible and just let fate take its course (i really didnt know what to expect) my bubble was slow to open but it eventually recovered and is doing great -- the only thing i lost was a really nice hammer coral (at least we got the shipping costs back which was around 80 bucks)

since you got it from a vendor it sounds like they should be responsible for the faulty shipping - but who knows it always depends on where you got it - the amount of damage done to the coral seems pretty extensive and probably should be covered by the vendor
Old 10/13/2005, 05:04 PM
Purveyor of Misguidance

Yes, there is potential for the coral to make it. Leave it be as far as the skeleton is concerned and let it recover on its own. These corals are very capable of healing themselves. Just give it good water conditions, and it it accepts it, a little meaty food every now and again to speed recovery.
Old 10/13/2005, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

Thank you for your replies. The side that was the most damaged is still struggling to recover, as noted above, I did feed it half a clam this afternoon and it did eat. This was not the only coral in this shipment that had very little water, there was also a yellow leather that had no water and a half dead cleaner shrimp stuck to the top of it and a cup coral that seems to be okay, it had very little water as well but, it has 2 crabs living inside the skeleton that are alive so I am assuming the coral will be okay as well, but you know they say about folks who assume......
Thanks for your help.
Mike.