Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/12/2005, 06:21 PM
Registered Member

HELP iodine dip instructions please

Hi, I have a branching hammer in my tank which is not doing so hot. Two of the heads are totally receeded, and two more have a browish jelly forming.

I've tried to nurse it back with water changes and feeding but it looks like its not helping, and the brown jelly keeps coming back.

I'd rather not stress the coral but it seems like I have to try a dip.

Spent the day looking for lugol's or reef dip but I could only find the normal Kent Marine Iodine supplement.

Question: Can I use the normal Kent Marine iodine to prepare a dip? If so, which mixture?

Should I wait and order lugol's or reef dip? I'm afraid it will take a week to arrive by which time some of the remaining few branches might be too far gone.

Please help, thank you!
Old 10/12/2005, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to your question. I had a brown jelly problem recently, this thread might help http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=680298, specifically what Randy suggested. Good luck!
Old 10/12/2005, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

Thanks I read through that thread, some good info there. I can't get Lugol's or Reef Dip for at least a few days, so I'm still wondering if I can do it with the regular Kent Marine Iodine.
Old 10/12/2005, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

I wish I could help with that, I just don't know. Have you tried the coral forum, or Calfo yet?
Old 10/13/2005, 02:26 AM
Registered Member

if you know how to dilute the iodine then go for it.
if not maybe you can try this:
1....get a dremel, pruning sheaars and lop off the infected heads.
2... get a separate container and with a turkey baster baste off the yucky brown jelly off of infected heads. ideally, you would have the coral in the dip solution too. i remember reading that this does not stress them but helps them out. and it definitely prevents the infection from spreading. by now your container should smell really bad. so now put the coral back, low lite, low flow and try to feed it.
3...qt the coral so you dont infect others if you have the means.

usually, a dip and basting will help out a lot. torches succumb to brown jelly quite easy but ive seen them come back just as easy.
good luck.