Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Connecticut Area Reef Society (C.T.A.R.S.)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/20/2005, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

Question Reviews of CT Area LFS

Are there any good sources (in the forums or elsewhere) for reviews of LFS in Connecticut? I'm just getting started, my Wife gave me my set up as a Birthday present and I'm trying to get the lay of land.

We got the set-up from House of Fins in Greenwich who are helpful and knowledgeable so far but pricey and apparently cater to the non-hobbiest.

Thanks.
Old 05/20/2005, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

Westport Aquarium....great selection of fish, awesome guarantee! Pricing average!

Exotic fish and coral (Milford) .... Great selection of almost everything, and if he don't got it, he will get it. Good ol' Bob! Pricing fair!

Reef n'Fin... Has it all, Pricing, not bad!....$25 SPS frags; Dry goods that most of look for online.

JMO

Thanks
Old 05/20/2005, 01:43 PM
1coral;qd;prn

Lightbulb

hmm.. didn't even know there was a Ridgefield in CT.. let alone where its located! This thread from the past miiiiight be a good start.. has quite a few LFS' listed. I haven't been to many myself.. but I regularly frequent Aquarium Conservation in Cromwell and All Pets Club in Wallingford in the Middletown area, and my fav being Fin&Feather down in Groton.
Old 05/20/2005, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

Fin & Feather is generally where I try to go. I like that they are big into propagating their own corals. Great service and decent prices. Memorial day weekend they are having a big sale, so it may be worth the drive for you.
Old 05/20/2005, 02:24 PM
How YOU doin?

I don't know of any actual reviews.

I'm a Fin and Feather fan, too. It might be a bit of a drive for you, but the club is going to have a meeting there in the next few months, so you'll have an excuse to make the drive.

I also like Bob's Exotic Fish and Corals in Milford.

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251 - Click my little red house to learn more and help medical science!
Old 05/20/2005, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info so far, very helpful.
Old 05/20/2005, 02:59 PM
reefaholic

Another vote for Fin and Feather Pets . Another good place to check out is
Bob's Exotic Fish and Coral in Milford.

Visit our CTARS club website by clicking the 'red house' icon above :)
Old 05/20/2005, 10:18 PM
Premium Member

fin and feather is good as well as aqua dreams in feeding hills mass, right near 6 flags.
Old 05/21/2005, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

If your going to aqua dreams you might as well stop at emmons in simsbury.
Old 05/21/2005, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

house of fins in greenich is bar far the most expensive place on earth do not buy any drygoods you can get the same stuff online 50% cheaper there fish prices are up there as well but i have yet to see a place that has any better looking fish.there fish are the best as far as health
Old 05/21/2005, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

I took a drive up to Sea Creatures in Providence, and they've got great prices on dry goods. The cheapest I've seen besides going online.
Old 05/21/2005, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

ya sea creatures is where i go for all my live goods.by far the cheapest for fish and corals and great selection fish and coral always look great
Old 05/21/2005, 08:33 PM
Premium Member

Used to live in Ridgefield and now live in Redding. The three listed by Reef Surge are the closest and unfortunately the Faifield County ones are probably the most expensive. The store in Milford is really worth the trip. You should check out the next club meeting the wealth of information and the access to frags is great. I have stocked nearly my entire tank from the club.
Old 05/24/2005, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

Once again, thanks to everyone for all the great info. Can't wait to get back from my business trip and check out some of these places.
Old 05/25/2005, 10:11 PM
1coral;qd;prn

anyone ever venture out to Fishy Business in Chatham, MA.. on the cape?? I was lookin' through the BRS forum and their sponsors websites and came across them.. just checkin to see if anyone here has gone, and their thoughts?!

Derek
Old 05/26/2005, 07:15 AM
Registered Member

If you are into fish, then you might want to check out ReefSplendor. They have a vendor forum here on RC.
They have a great selection on fish, but only 1 tank of
SPS. Price is a little better than the LFS around here
and 45 minutes drive from Ridgefield.
Old 05/26/2005, 08:08 AM
Registered Member

Yes, I have been there...reefsplendor. I buy some of my dry goods from them, almost online pricing, but no shipping...just go pick it up. As for the fish, I have taken a tour of their warehouse and find that their fish selection is outstanding. All fish seperated and healthy. LR tubs, and tanks lit with different bulbs to give you an idea of coloring. You have to be a member in order to get the livestock area, though. I had a issue with them and you can call me petty, but if you spend a bunch of money in there on dry goods they should offer you a free membership..only fair. Their policy states that each member pays $50 to join, and once they spend $500 on livestock, they get reimbursed the membership fee, which is like saving 10%. But why should it be different with dry goods?

Sorry for the flaming...just a bit bitter! By all means, check them out and if you are interested in local pick up of VHO and MHs take the drive and save on shipping, especially those long size bulbs.
Old 05/26/2005, 05:07 PM
Reef Addict

Ridgefield hmmmm... Stamford Reef and fin on long ridge rd. off the merrit, House of fins Greenwich, Turnpike pets tunxis hill rd. Fairfield, Westport Aquarium on the corner of rt.33 and rt1 in westport, Exotic reef rt.1 milford. those are the closest to you and best quality. the only other store worth driving to in ct is in groton fin and feather. there are a few good ones in NJ and nyc. good luck...
Old 05/26/2005, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

ya i have been there(fishy business) a couple times my parents live close to there so i stop in there when i go.its not to big though its smaller than bob's in milford but fishy business usaully has primo stuff