Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics

Old 11/11/2007, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

how much flow is too muc flow?

drilling my 75 for closed loop. i have a sequence reeflo snapper, rated 1850gph @ 4'...is that too much for a 75? planning on keeping sps, nem, fairly light fish load, dsb...tank is drilled with a basement sump. dont really feel like drilling whopping big holes in the back of it, only to find out the cl pump i have hooked up makes the tank into a swirling vortex....
Old 11/12/2007, 10:46 AM
Premium Member

On my 95 gallon, I use a snapper upgraded to 3500 gph. But it all depends on how you hook it up. If you have only 1 outlet, you will have a problem. Mine is on an Oceans Motions 4-way with 2 outlets per port (8 total outlets). If you are planning on sps, total turnover should be about 2700 - 3700 gph in your tank.
Old 11/12/2007, 04:01 PM
El Jefe de WRS

gph isnt really an accurate way to measure flow in a tank, FWIW. Its kind of like watts per gallon... you know? You could have 10,000gph of low in your tank, but if it was all through diffusers and spraybars... it will look like less flow than a single 1000 watt powerhead in the corner blowing up a storm. Water flow can educt more water if under higher pressure, so that 1000gph pump is most likely moving a couple thousand more gallons per hour as a result.

There are two ways to do it... look at other's tanks with the amount of flow you desire, and mimic their results/equipment. Or, figure out the actual velocity of the water, and compare to scientific suggested flowrates.
Old 11/12/2007, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

Im not concerned with measurement at all...im just concerned about moving enough water about without turning my tank into a mess.

right now I'm planning on 4 1" outlets on locline from the CL, and my return pump is hooked up to a penguin eductor.
thank you for your answers.
Old 11/13/2007, 09:37 AM
Registered Member

With basement sump the flow will be lower, it's more, than 4" usually.
But it's like 25x turnover per hour, you should be fine. There will be slower flow places for LPS and slow moving fish, and high flow - for all others.
In General discussions forum is the recent thread "Going bare bottom, what do I need" (or something like that), DSB keepers posted their flow rates.
Old 11/13/2007, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

thanks
Old 11/13/2007, 05:39 PM
Premium Member

I ran over 4000gph in my old 75 and successfully kept LPS, SPS, and softies all together.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...9-19031_PB.jpg
Old 11/14/2007, 02:37 PM
Premium Member

I have recent evidence that there is such a thing as too much flow:

I recently moved some of my CL nozzles because I moved a large rock, and two nozzles were digging a big hole in my sand, so I moved each one just a bit. I have 6 nozzles on my Dart CL.

I didnt notice, but I had pointed one right at a large brach of my best purple acro. After a couple of days the branch started bleaching, and that's when i noticed the nozzle pointing right at it. I have since moved the nozzle, but the coral ( the one branch ) is toast.

So..... there is such a thing as too much.

Stu
Old 12/03/2007, 04:13 AM
Premium Member

Just to Piggyback, I too have bleach out an Acropora by having it too close to a Seio 1500, pretty much blasting the color right out of it.
Old 12/12/2007, 11:42 AM
Premium Member

flow

Thanks for the input about flow. I'm always reading trying to find out a good window for flow rate.
Old 12/14/2007, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

I have to agree that concentrated flows from a nozzle are troublesome. I made a low efficiency type of eductor to take a 3/4" out and create a 1.5" 20 degree cone to create strong but gentle current.