Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/05/2007, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

Invisible Fish

I need advice, I recently placed one of my fish in the quarantine tank (on Saturday). I did this because he was aggressive to a new tankmate. I thought if he was alone for about 2 weeks the newbie could establish a safe and comfortable introduction. My quarantine tank is a 30 gallon. I placed a couple of rocks in the QT so he wouldn't feel so lost. Well, I have not seen the fish since. Last I saw him he was hanging out by one of the rocks, looking a little stressed but otherwise ok. I have checked the floor (although I do not know how he could have escaped, the tank is covered), the pump, returns, overflows, rocks, everything, everywhere...no fish. Where could he be hiding that I find absolutely no trace of him. Has anyone else ever had this happen?
Old 12/05/2007, 09:29 AM
Premium Member

What kind of fish?

"And chase the frothy bubbles, / While the world is full of troubles. . . ." --W. B. Yeats
Old 12/05/2007, 11:24 AM
Premium Member

+ How much rock? and is it porous?
Old 12/05/2007, 12:57 PM
Premium Member

Lift up the rocks- he has most likely created a burrow to help gain some sense of comfort.
Old 12/05/2007, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by "Umm, fish?"
What kind of fish?

click the red house to see pics of my tank....the better pics are at the bottom :D
Old 12/05/2007, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

The fish started off as a scarlet wrasse according to my LFS (I'd never heard of one of those and I love wrasses), but she was so pretty, pink with a small dot near her tail I brought her home. Then I noticed subtle color changes (some lavender was creeping in). So right now her true ID is unknown. I know she is a wrasse, and she's about 2.5 inches long. Rock is porous and I placed two small pieces inside the QT.
Old 12/05/2007, 04:12 PM
Premium Member

She may be lodged into the rock then. Its pretty common for wrasses to seek that type of shelter, especially when they are first introduced and there is no sand available. I wouldnt worry unless a week or so goes by and you dont see her.
Old 12/05/2007, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

Just a tip look for a slime nest in the rock. Wrasses will make a slimey coat around their hiding spot to feel more comfortable when stressed. Do you have Nassarius snails? it is possible that if it died it may have become snail food leaving no evidence of any fish remaining!
Old 12/06/2007, 03:11 AM
Registered Member

sounds like a female blue-sided fairy wrasse to me, =P
but jus a random guess