Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers

Old 05/02/2006, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

11 fish and 4 tangs in a 65g?
..although the tank is very colorful, that is the most overcrowded tank i've ever seen on here
...glad there's a 225g coming, they'll all love you

Timothy....that is not a good rule of thumb at all

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.

Last edited by E-A-G-L-E-S; 05/02/2006 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05/02/2006, 01:46 PM
Moved On

No the tang does not eat it, it is feather caulerpa, I have been selling what I cull out of this tank on the for sale forum.
Old 05/02/2006, 01:49 PM
Moved On

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here is some of it in my 125. The pods reproduce like crazy in it so I let iit get very thick on that end, and there are baby xenia and white dusters to.
Old 05/02/2006, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by E-A-G-L-E-S

Timothy....that is not a good rule of thumb at all
May not be a good rule of thumb but all those sumps and refuguims, do add water volume to your tank, it has been in wide practice for a long time, not that i agree with all those fish in such a small tank
Old 05/02/2006, 07:38 PM
Minion

Quote:
Originally posted by Timothy01
May not be a good rule of thumb but all those sumps and refuguims, do add water volume to your tank
but....

sumps and refugiums do not add swimming room..

..an additional 2 foot extension.. That thing hurt many people..

"Hold your children close."
Jim Hobbs
Old 05/02/2006, 07:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by finding nemo

Here is some of it in my 125. The pods reproduce like crazy in it so I let iit get very thick on that end, and there are baby xenia and white dusters to.
I never thought of adding any kind of macro or see grass to my tank until I saw this picture ... thanks for inpsiring me! I always thought it would look ugly but you proved me wrong.

Caulerpa ... looks GREAT but how fast does it spread? I also know this macro is notorious for heavy nutrient export but also for its problems. Have you had it go sexual? Your tank is ovbiously not lit 24/7, but then agian it isnt jam packied in a fuge.

I would love to here more about this
Old 05/02/2006, 08:22 PM
Moved On

Reef, this kind does not go sexual, I have had it for over 8 years in my tanks with no problem.
It grows very fast, on sand or rock, thus I keep it pulled every month or so.
I like the nature look that it gives a tank and have it in all of my tanks.
Makes for a very natural look.
By the way, I don't have fuges or sumps on any of my tanks.
One reason I feel that I dont need it is have the combination of this caulerpa and other filter feeders in my tanks keep them crystal clear.
Old 05/02/2006, 08:29 PM
Moved On

Here is a full tank view , the picture above this is in the left hand corner of the tank.
I let it grow all over the tank, keeping it pulled if it starts to invade the corals which they do fast.
Old 05/02/2006, 08:33 PM
Minion

Quote:
Originally posted by finding nemo
Reef, this kind does not go sexual
Uhm...

ALL caulerpas can go sexual.. Including this one (feather caulerpa). I've had it go sexual in a 10g fuge on a 29g tank. Made for a milky white tank for 36 hours..

Your regular pruning helps keep it from reaching critical mass, aka, when it goes sexual..

Jim Hobbs
Old 05/02/2006, 08:37 PM
Moved On

Nagel, I have never had it go sexual in all the years I have had it. So if it does it hasnt for me.
Maybe because I keep it pulled out before it takes over everything that keeps it from doing that.
Don't know but I love the stuff
Old 05/02/2006, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

It can go sexual and probably isnt the best canidate for a fuge macro BUT this is a display were dealing with, from waht ive read it goes sexual when lare amounts build up and it gets crowded. You would have to be pretty careless to let this happen in a display tank. If it does go sexual on you I guess you kind of deserve it lol.

I realy like the look of this. It gives the greyish/baige/white softys a little pizazz
2 150W 20k MH
Gravity Fed H&S AF150-F2001
Eheim 1250 Return
2 Maxi-Streams on Swirler Steins
Aqua Jr
Tunze Osmolator
Old 05/02/2006, 08:55 PM
Minion

Thats exactly what I said, though I guess "critical mass" is a bit cryptic..

When it has nowhere left to grow, and you are almost busting at the seams with it (and many fuges do look like this), that's when it goes sexual..

The regular pruning helps to keep it from getting to this point, hence you never had to deal with it going sexual..

I would keep some in my main tank, but the tangs, they love it. I basically recycle caulerpa from my 75g refugium as tang food..

Jim Hobbs
Old 05/02/2006, 09:19 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nagel
Thats exactly what I said, though I guess "critical mass" is a bit cryptic..

When it has nowhere left to grow, and you are almost busting at the seams with it (and many fuges do look like this), that's when it goes sexual..

The regular pruning helps to keep it from getting to this point, hence you never had to deal with it going sexual..

I would keep some in my main tank, but the tangs, they love it. I basically recycle caulerpa from my 75g refugium as tang food..
What kind of tangs and what kind of caulerpa?
My hippo and yellow wouldnt eat my caulerpa but they were probably spoiled becuase before that I bought a tang heaven macro pack and was feeding them that. I woudnt mind getting rid of the tang heaven macro in my fuge and replasing it with cheato and let them feed of the caulerpa in the display (wich I think I;m going to add soon).
Old 05/03/2006, 05:59 AM
Moved On

I have this in both big tanks and have a yellow tang in both, I have never seen them eat it nor have I seen it mowed down, so just don't think they eat this kind.
But then again, I have so much of it maybe they do eat a bit of it and I don't notice
Either way, I love the stuff and like the looks of it.
Give it a try and see how it looks in yours.
But keep it from getting away from you as I do. Pull and relocate is the key
Old 05/03/2006, 02:01 PM
Premium Member

I was going to put a small seagrass patch in the back corner of my tank but now I think I'm gunna use the feather caulerpa

Any other good softie tanks out there?
2 150W 20k MH
Eheim 1250 Return
Aqua Jr
Tunze Osmolator
Old 05/03/2006, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nagel

sumps and refugiums do not add swimming room..
no where did i say that added swimming room, i said they increase your water voulume, which inturn allws you to add more fish then you normally would to such a small tank
Old 05/03/2006, 05:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
no where did i say that added swimming room, i said they increase your water voulume, which inturn allws you to add more fish then you normally would to such a small tank
I kind of ignored this for awhile becuase I personaly do not like the whole tang police mumbo jumbo ... although I do feel that tangs need to be housed in a 100g and up tank when I had a 55 I purchased a yellow tang and a hippo tang a 18 months later I bought a 120. Tangs are one of the most popular fish ... people are going to keep buying them wether or not they have room. BUT I suggest you sell/give them away when they get to cramped or get a bigger tank, its not right to keep them in such a small tank. I dfont know if yours are fully grown but when they are I suggest you upgrade or replace them.

Sumps/Fuges just make your tank more stable and lessen the biolopad by spreading it over a bigger volume. Tangs still need so much space to move ... I see people with 120gallon tanks that are so cramed with sps that there tangs still dont have enouugh room.

I'm not saying its wrong to buy tangs for a 65 tank but there going to outgrow it fast ... and 4 tangs is a little bit overboard I was pretty nervous about a hippo and a yellow in a 55 and I made sure that I bought them at about 1 1/2"-2" each
Old 05/03/2006, 06:04 PM
Minion

Quote:
Originally posted by reefnewbie54321
What kind of tangs and what kind of caulerpa?
Hehe. I have many.. In almost as many tanks.. For starters:

Feather Caulerpa - Hippo, Desjardinii, Purple, Powder Blue, Hawaiian Sailfin, Vlamingi, Sohal and even the Chevron from time to time

Grape Caulerpa - Hippo, Desjardinii, Purple, Powder Blue, Hawaiian Sailfin, Vlamingi, Sohal, Chevron, even my French Angel and Emperor Angels love this stuff

Razor Caulerpa - Hippo, Desjardinii, Purple, Vlamingi, Sohal

Cup Caulerpa - Purple, Vlamingi, Sohal

This is what I have / and have watched them eat. The Vlamingi's are caulerpa-eating machines. The Hippo will eat lots of it, but never seems to fatten up, in comparison to the Sohal which is a fat pig. The Chevron only picks at it, I wouldn't say he loves it as much as the others do.

Quote:
My comment is more for the tangs rather then the # of fish. Trust me, I know the benefits of volume (my system is over 1000 gallons and includes 11 tanks). The purple tang is about all I would keep in Bradleyj's tank. I have a 14" hippo here, and in the past I had a 16" Blonde Naso (traded it in because it developed a taste for soft corals.) The Sailfin could easily get to 10" - 12" in diameter, so again, not the best choice for a 65.

Volume for a number of fish is one thing, say a large school of chromis or anthias, but system volume is no substitute for a large tank with swimming room for large tangs.

In other words, my Vlamingi's (I have 2) will one day outgrow even my 300. I have plans to donate them to some local public aquariums when they reach 16" (still plenty of room for them to swim in a 96Lx24Wx30T tank, but my conscience gets the better of me). And yes, I have already worked out the details with the aquariums (MOST will NOT accept fish like this, do NOT buy with the intention of giving them to a local public aquarium unless you have talked with the curator and worked out the specifics beforehand!)

Jim Hobbs
Old 05/04/2006, 02:39 PM
Premium Member

Lets see some more! I know there out there

FindingNemo- One thing came to mind last night ... I remeber reading something by Calfo saying even if your caulerpa doesnt go sexual everytime you pull it out of yoursand/rocks it releases toxins in the water. Any comments on that?
2 150W 20k MH
Eheim 1250 Return
Aqua Jr
Tunze Osmolator
Old 05/04/2006, 03:04 PM
Moved On

HI Reef, I have never heard of that.
I have some growing all over the sand and rock and I pull it often and hav'nt had a problem at all with the tank after doing so.
I have been doing it for many years with no losses of fish or stock so just don't know if that is true or not.
But then again, now much caulerpa is he saying to pull out at one time to create that problem?
I do about 2 sandwich bags at a time is all I have done.
Do you have the article or thread where he talked about that?
Old 05/04/2006, 04:05 PM
Premium Member

I will try to find it ... I think it was on wetwebmedia and it was about why caulerpa wasnt a good refugium macro. It talked about it going sexual ect. and also that when pruning it released toxins.
2 150W 20k MH
Eheim 1250 Return
Aqua Jr
Tunze Osmolator
Old 05/04/2006, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

mfinn-

What kind of filtration are you running? Charcoal? I was wondering if you ever have a problem with your leathers attacking each other with chemicals.

Thanks!

"Man is certainly stark mad; he cannot make a worm, and yet he will be making gods by dozens."

Michel Eyquem, seigneur de Montaigne (1533–1592)
Old 05/05/2006, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

Here's my 90g BB softie/lps tank this setup has been thru a few tanks and the liverock, large devils hand ,clownfish and some mushrooms are close to 10yrs old.

Old 05/05/2006, 01:21 PM
Premium Member

nice, you dont see bare bottom softies very often ... or atleast I dont
2 150W 20k MH
Eheim 1250 Return
Aqua Jr
Tunze Osmolator
Old 05/05/2006, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

Thanks and your right there aren't many I know of either! My softie tank has been barebottom for 2 years now . Before that was a SSb, before that DSB before that crushed coral and before that yes BB berlin

For me running this setup has been the easiest since I went BB....Also I didn't cook the rock at all as that method wasn't even around at that point..