Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 09:29 AM
Premium Member

Question How do you keep your trAtes down?

I saw the phosphate remover thread and it got me thinking, what do ya'll do to keep the trAtes down. I know mine run a little higher now since using the stuff. What about the rest of you? Vodak? Sugar? just plain old WC?

Just curious, please no aruging
Old 12/29/2007, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

I have never been able to measure nitrates (using API test kits) in my tank. Lately I have increased feeding to see if I could get some to show up (really trying to color up some pale SPS), no luck. I suppose this is a good thing though. I have a relatively light bioload with a good amount of rock. My skimmer isn't even that big (NW 110 on a 75).

I know the test kits are good or at least working as I recently had to put my shrimp/crabs in a hospital tank while I dosed Interceptor on the main tank. Within a few days I was measuring 30 nitrates on the hospital tank.
Old 12/29/2007, 11:24 AM
OT Slaughter House

A healthy DSB!
I measure 0 with Salifert and LaMotte tests...

For the record I'm a chronic over feeder, most people freak out when they see what I'm putting in my tank.

Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die, and don't forget real men have their own balls. (Tonya?) Spay and neuter your pets.
Old 12/29/2007, 11:33 AM
Premium Member

I have a DSB in my fuge, about 1/3 of the space on the bottom of a 55g. It's about 6" deep. But it dosen't appear to be enough to keep trAtes below 10. It'll keep them at 10, but it can't quite handle the entire load. I do have deeper areas in the dispaly as well, but my diamond goby likes to re-arrange quite often.

A healthy DSB!
I measure 0 with Salifert and LaMotte tests...
Just wondering how you keep it "healthy" and what determines this?
Old 12/29/2007, 11:35 AM
Save me Jebus

I have a RDSB that keeps my nitrates virtually undetectable. Been running it for 2 years and have not seen nitrates since. I also have a large skimmer on the tank as well.
Have a great day.
Kris
Old 12/29/2007, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

I have a 90 gallon display tank with predominately sps corals. I have a 30 gallon sump loaded with chaeto running lights opposite the tanks cycle. A very light bioload, maybe 5 fish the largest a 3 inch tang, and 10% water change weekly. I have approxomately 130 lbs of live rock. With that, I still could not get my nitrates below 20, until I added my HS nitrate reactor. My bioload is up to 13 fish, heavy feedings daily, and my nitrate levels are zero, by salifert. that was the only thing that would bring it down. I have taken the chaeto out, still do 10% water change weekly for trace elements mainly. Consistently read zero nitrates. My sps coloration has improved immensely. I highly recommend the nitrate reactor along with a very good protein skimmer. Hope this helps. Al
Old 12/29/2007, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

I have a 125 with 175lbs of LR. in Dt and 15lbs in fuge. Always get zero readings.
Old 12/29/2007, 11:41 PM
Never Satisfied

i'd give anything to get a 3-5ppm no3 reading without a 2ppm po4 reading

IMO/IME... no3 isnt the enemy.. po4 is
Old 12/30/2007, 12:36 AM
Blue

I just don't test for them.